Players who disappointed and who exceeded expectations | Vital Football

Players who disappointed and who exceeded expectations

Will.NFFC

Vital Football Hero
Trying to get away from the doom and gloom with a Football thread. Which players throughout your time were disappointments When you had fairly high expectations or there was hype around their arrival and which players exceeded expectation vs what you thought of them as a signing.

ill kick off, Nathaniel Chalobah on loan from Chelsea was highly disappointing. Big rep following a great spell at Watford but just seemed to have a big ego and did very little.

Patjim Kasami - one of the worst to wear the shirt for me, but was seen as a bit of bright light when we got because of his spell at Fulham. Lazy, cowardly and showed a serious lack of ability.

Guedioura massively exceeded my expectation when we got from Wolves on loan initially. I remember we had no Centre halves after selling Morgan and Cotterill even came out disappointed saying we wanted a defender but he’ll be a body for midfield at least. Turned out to be a real catalyst for helping us stay up.

Antonio obviously.
Andy Reid - think we all thought he was a journeyman that Forest signed for the nostalgia (and lack of money available). First year he had the look of a journeyman for a lot of it, but that second and third year when he got in shape, he looked every bit a premier league player. If he’d shed that weight a few years earlier, he’d have been playing for a top team in my opinion.

Trying to get away from the doom and gloom with a Football thread. Which players throughout your time were disappointments When you had fairly high expectations or there was hype around their arrival and which players exceeded expectation vs what you thought of them as a signing.

ill kick off, Nathaniel Chalobah on loan from Chelsea was highly disappointing. Big rep following a great spell at Watford but just seemed to have a big ego and did very little.

Patjim Kasami - one of the worst to wear the shirt for me, but was seen as a bit of bright light when we got because of his spell at Fulham. Lazy, cowardly and showed a serious lack of ability.

Guedioura massively exceeded my expectation when we got from Wolves on loan initially. I remember we had no Centre halves after selling Morgan and Cotterill even came out disappointed saying we wanted a defender but he’ll be a body for midfield at least. Turned out to be a real catalyst for helping us stay up.

Antonio obviously.
Andy Reid - think we all thought he was a journeyman that Forest signed for the nostalgia (and lack of money available). First year he had the look of a journeyman for a lot of it, but that second and third year when he got in shape, he looked every bit a premier league player. If he’d shed that weight a few years earlier, he’d have been playing for a top team in my opinion.
Jim Baxter. Had such an effect on me as a 21 year old that ive never fully got over it. I had seen the player in the flesh at Roker Park shortly before we signed him and was convinced he would win us the league and subsequently be instrumental in our 6 Nil demolition of Rael Madrid in the following years European Cup final. Debut day and me and my mate are in the ground an hour before kick off, exited didn't go anywhere close enough to describe how we felt. Then he "ran" out and the dream was shattered. An overweight drink dependant has been. I think he touched the ball about 3 times. Devastated.

Jim Baxter. Had such an effect on me as a 21 year old that ive never fully got over it. I had seen the player in the flesh at Roker Park shortly before we signed him and was convinced he would win us the league and subsequently be instrumental in our 6 Nil demolition of Rael Madrid in the following years European Cup final. Debut day and me and my mate are in the ground an hour before kick off, exited didn't go anywhere close enough to describe how we felt. Then he "ran" out and the dream was shattered. An overweight drink dependant has been. I think he touched the ball about 3 times. Devastated.

Apparently Leeds were interested in him before we signed him, the interview did not go too well if the folklore is to be believed:

Revie said, "you drink everything brewed and distilled around here, there aren't enough women for you to chase, and you're not averse to the odd brawl." Baxter replied: "Aye, you're very well informed."

Watching Frozen II with my children and it's well on its way.

On a footballing side, David Johnson in his first 18 months and then in his next 18 months could be an answer to both parts

Watching Frozen II with my children and it's well on its way.

On a footballing side, David Johnson in his first 18 months and then in his next 18 months could be an answer to both parts

I thought he was going to be utter shit, met him on a lads holiday when he was about 17 and at United. He was with Lee Sharpe and a few others on the fringe, was very into pills and powder and to top it all we beat them at a game of 7 aside beach football.

I thought he was going to be utter shit, met him on a lads holiday when he was about 17 and at United. He was with Lee Sharpe and a few others on the fringe, was very into pills and powder and to top it all we beat them at a game of 7 aside beach football.

It wasn't Malia in 1994 by any chance was it?

Since 2000:

Disappointments: Muric, Carvalho, Greening, Zach Clough, McGoaldrought, Cox, Paul Anderson, Konchesky, Joe Garner, Arron Davies, Lee Martin, Michael Stewart.

Exceeded expectations: Samba, Watson, Lolley, Antonio, Camp, Raddy, McCleary, McKenna, Nicky Southall, Louis-Jean, Jim Brennan, Riccy Scimeca, Paul Evans, Dave Beasant.

You forgot Nigel Quashie!

Not sure why Anderson is not he list of disappointments. Crucial to our relegation battle and the season we finished third.

Couldn't score though in fairness.

Disagree on Anderson. If Billy hadn't have coached all the attacking ability out of him, he would have been decent.

Nigel Quashie, disappointment or not is one of the best passers of the ball the club has had in my years of supporting the club.

Reminiscent of another Nigel.

You're slipping, Pope. That's 2 things in the space of a few days you don't know!!!!