Players going forward | Page 7 | Vital Football

Players going forward

I tweeted Paul kendrick when Alan Nixon broke the story a few weeks back, from vague memory his response was along the lines of "it doesn't really matter". Nixon said that it wasn;t that long since that a problem with registering the contract had come to light. If it's true, somebody's been absolutely amateurish beyond belief....regardless of the admin situation

Need clarity on who is actually responsible and how it happened. I suspect we won’t find out.
Ultimately though, they are the two in charge. If a TV broadcast goes tits up due to the production staff or presenters, the man in charge (the director) ultimately carries the can for the cock up. Even if it's a low level staffer that's fucked up on the Gelhardt contract, it's on Jackson and Royle as the men in charge.

Last edited:
Need clarity on who is actually responsible and how it happened. I suspect we won’t find out.

Stuff like that would be the job of the Club Secretary. Since Brenda's transition to CE, I'm not really sure who's had the role.

I'd be very surprised to hear that either Royle or Jackson would have any involvement in the daily administration of stuff. Yes, of course they'd be involved in agreeing the contract, but the registration with the league etc would normally be the Club Sec .........who seems to be (even after t' interweb searches) nameless.

A friend used to be Club Sec for PNE, then Blackpool, and then Brighton for the last 20 years (until he's recently retired). He used to say the the admin process generally with the league was a pain in the arse.

Or maybe he isn't as good as the £20m price tag some of our fans had labelled him otherwise why aren't any other clubs bidding much higher?

Or maybe he isn't as good as the £20m price tag some of our fans had labelled him otherwise why aren't any other clubs bidding much higher?

20m was always a ridiculous valuation, but 1m ? Is there some sort of collusion between clubs. How can the highest any club wants to pay for such a "sought after" talent be 1m ? Smacks of some sort of a "nod and a wink" deal to me.

20m was always a ridiculous valuation, but 1m ? Is there some sort of collusion between clubs. How can the highest any club wants to pay for such a "sought after" talent be 1m ? Smacks of some sort of a "nod and a wink" deal to me.

Before you start blowing a fuse over the sale of Joffy, just remember how we signed Victor Moses, we are in admin ffs, every penny counts!

Before you start blowing a fuse over the sale of Joffy, just remember how we signed Victor Moses, we are in admin ffs, every penny counts!

I'm not blowing a fuse over selling Joffy, the lad needs to go to make ends meet, that's obvious, but considering how many clubs were "interested" I'm amazed the best offer we get is only 1m.

£20m. This is what is wrong with football down here the money quoted is ridiculous don’t even start me on Bellingham Toney etc Wigan are in huge trouble everyone knows it so low balling is to be expected. I’m used to it up here talk down the standard of league and low ball the club ds and grab quality for next to nothing tierney McGinn etc welcome to our world .

Is this true that someone at the club messed joffys contract up thats why we are getting such a low fee for him in our present predicament that could prove fatal we was looking at 5 bottom dollar can anything else go wrong

I don't think it's anything to do with that and I'm very doubtful as to whether that (the contract cock up) is even true
The club is getting £1mill due to a combination of us being desperate for the cash & the fact that (as highly as he may be rated) he's barely played and whoever buys him is taking a big gamble.

Bellingham on the other hand has been watched by clubs playing 1st team football all season and they've seen whether or not he can hack it - that said, £20mill for him is still ridiculous

Stuff like that would be the job of the Club Secretary. Since Brenda's transition to CE, I'm not really sure who's had the role.

I'd be very surprised to hear that either Royle or Jackson would have any involvement in the daily administration of stuff. Yes, of course they'd be involved in agreeing the contract, but the registration with the league etc would normally be the Club Sec .........who seems to be (even after t' interweb searches) nameless.

A friend used to be Club Sec for PNE, then Blackpool, and then Brighton for the last 20 years (until he's recently retired). He used to say the the admin process generally with the league was a pain in the arse.

I only do it t non league level, but you complete the form and you send it off.
There's an online system too where you can register it & the league you're in gets a copy of the form

If there's any issues you get contacted by the league

I'm not sure how it could have gone wrong or what could have gone wrong without it being flagged up so I have big doubts as to whether this rumour is true especially as the FA/EFL site shows a new contract being registered

Problem re Joffy is Cook gave him such a limited opportunity playing time wise no club would pay silly money as he's completely unproven in adult football. As it stands he's an 18 year old who has scored one goal in senior football, started one or two games and played the odd 20 minute cameo. Compared to Bellingham who has been involved in 40 games before the age of 17 and you can see why his value has increased in comparison.

Sheff Wed - wanting Windass for nowt - after the cheating and advantage gained last season and their mates at the EFL being nice to them this is taking the piss at premier league levels.
Necks of giraffes rather than Owls.
It's one thing selling assets and no great fan of Windass but this is the end game for us if true as no one gives assets away for free.
Suggests no prospect of a new owner any time soon at best if we can't even wait to get something for him !

However from their perspective he’s on a decent wage with us and has a year on his contract - and crucially we don’t want him. I don’t advocate releasing players for nothing but in this instance getting rid of this bad influence and reducing the wage bill is probably the best option.

However from their perspective he’s on a decent wage with us and has a year on his contract - and crucially we don’t want him. I don’t advocate releasing players for nothing but in this instance getting rid of this bad influence and reducing the wage bill is probably the best option.

Got to disagree. We won't get his true market value in the circumstances but to let a player go for nowt who the club could very easily get some half decent money for is insane

Got to disagree. We won't get his true market value in the circumstances but to let a player go for nowt who the club could very easily get some half decent money for is insane

Depends on who wants him - and if he’ll sign there. If Sheff wed is the only option then I’d rather we got rid whilst we had the chance.