Players going forward | Page 11 | Vital Football

Players going forward

Of course we do John, and it's fine that we do. There's no requirement for us all to agree.

However, if those thoughts are based on a false premise, or incorrect assumptions, or unsubstantiated rumours, etc, then it doesn't exactly make those thoughts a logical position.
What is false. There as been no concrete offers no one as put up the 100 grand. Plenty talk that’s all Keep saying it there are not many people willing to buy a football club now. Like many said with the points appeal it’s not normal times. They are not buying your. Newcastles and Sunderlands. Even Charlton need a owner.

LYNN GELHART

Wigan will always have a big place in our hearts we love the club and wish everyone the best for the future. Thank you to @Williams63Kenny @GJRioch @kdriscoll90 @chaddy_nc and all the staff and players for everything you have done for us over the years we’ll forever be grateful

What is false. There as been no concrete offers no one as put up the 100 grand. Plenty talk that’s all Keep saying it there are not many people willing to buy a football club now. Like many said with the points appeal it’s not normal times. They are not buying your. Newcastles and Sunderlands. Even Charlton need a owner.

John, in last couple of pages on this thread, we've had wrong assumptions re:

- the release value of Robinson
- the withholding of transfer payment money
- the "mess up" with Joffy's contract
- Administrators being bothered about "us" (ie re sell on clauses)
- the Administrators aren't to be trusted as the were appointed by the Chinese.
- an implication that they're going to break up the club
- they're milking the club
- we could/should somehow have done something different with Paul Cook
- because we haven't yet agreed terms with an owner, the administrators aren't doing a good job.

That's besides all the other stuff we've had in the past few weeks.

Just because no-one's put the £100k down doesn't mean they didn't submit a "concrete offer". It just means they aren't (yet) bothered about the administrators dealing exclusively with just them.

I don't really understand your last point.

With regard to "the mystery of Joffy's contract" ..................... from PK:

He couldn’t sign longer than 2 years because only 17 at the time...was told from start agreement was to sign and then extend when he 18...but by then Covid here, then restart, then administration, goalposts had moved. Certainly wasn’t a ‘cock-up’. And wouldn’t have affected fee.

I don't think that is right, I am sure you can sign a 3 years deal as a 17 year old. I read that Liverpool signed one of their young lads who just turned 17 to a 3 years deal a few weeks ago as his first contract (think his name was Harvey Elliott).

If we only tied him down for 2 years with a promise of a future extension rather than 3 in the first place that does fit with what Nixon has said as the screw up.

The admins are shafting us to the benefit of the crook who appointed them only.
Open your eyes people - there is no prospective owner (if so would they support the current fire-sale? - no, they would buy then sell assets at full market value to recover their initial investment- if I could get access to £10m for a month I would do it myself !) this is a slow death of 1000 cuts before a final liquidation.
Hate to say it but IMO we are totally fecked.

With regard to "the mystery of Joffy's contract" ..................... from PK:

He couldn’t sign longer than 2 years because only 17 at the time...was told from start agreement was to sign and then extend when he 18...but by then Covid here, then restart, then administration, goalposts had moved. Certainly wasn’t a ‘cock-up’. And wouldn’t have affected fee.

Article I mentioned in previous reply. It appears we fucked up if we thought we could only offer a 2 years rather than 3 years deal.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talk...ott-three-year-contract-liverpool-summer/amp/

I don't think that is right, I am sure you can sign a 3 years deal as a 17 year old. I read that Liverpool signed one of their young lads who just turned 17 to a 3 years deal a few weeks ago as his first contract (think his name was Harvey Elliott).

If we only tied him down for 2 years with a promise of a future extension rather than 3 in the first place that does fit with what Nixon has said as the screw up.

I suspect it's to do with the definition of "years" and "seasons". I'm not sure how part seasons would be counted.

From the EFL website:

Guidance

A player signing a contract at the age of 17 cannot sign for a period longer than 3 years or 3 seasons (whichever is the shorter) – see Article 18(2) of the FIFA Regulations. The Football Association has now advised that this includes the period of any option period included in the agreement, so any contracts which are lodged which include an option that would result in a term in excess of three years will be rejected.

The admins are shafting us to the benefit of the crook who appointed them only.
Open your eyes people - there is no prospective owner (if so would they support the current fire-sale? - no, they would buy then sell assets at full market value to recover their initial investment- if I could get access to £10m for a month I would do it myself !) this is a slow death of 1000 cuts before a final liquidation.
Hate to say it but IMO we are totally fecked.

Bloody hell Hampton, those grumpy pills you got from MiW are certainly working !

That said, I do see your logic........ though it still wouldn't apply for either Devine, Weir or Robinson. ........ though dependent on the state of Joffy's sale to Leeds at the point we knew we were down to L1, I suppose they might have been able to jump in and sort something there.

As for liquidation .................. you may well turn out to be right ..................... but I just can't let myself think that.

Not true, we would get at least 3 times the figure if we let Gelhardt run down his contract with a tribunal. Looks like Fulham are getting close to 7m for a similar aged player who walked on a free.

Allowing him to go for a fee of 1m means we lose out on a tribunal and massively screws the club over. I'm beginning to have less trust in the administrators.

We have to accept the senior players with release clauses will go and get market value for the rest and then hang on to the youngsters, they don't count in squad statistics until 21 anyway and hold lots of value for the future. Selling the youth means we have nothing once all the senior players go and they will.

Tribunals only come into play if he stays in England. If he moves abroad or even to Scotland he would leave for nothing. Also getting a Tribunal fee in 12 months is not something Admin will really be worried about as if they don't raise funds now there may not be a club by then.

Admin are not so looking to screw us but keep the club going in the immediate term. We have not paid July's players wages and they are due and we owe milliins transfer money too in the next few weeks. If the players wages become too late they can all go on frees and if we don't pay the transfer fees due it's a 15 points deduction. It's proving hard enough to sell us as it is, if the club ends up with no players left and starting on -15 we are probably unsellable at that point. It's crisis management.

If admin could sell everyone for more they would as it would make their life much easier and help them get out and get paid sooner but all the other clubs know we are desperate and are low balling us.

I don't think we should consider the administrators as either our friend looking after us or our enemy trying to screw us - they are just doing their job. Their vested interest is keeping the club alive and getting it sold asap - which aligns with what us fans want. But they will sell us to the highest bidder regardless of if tgey are the best bet and sell our assets below market value 2 things that fans won't want. They are neither sinner nor saint.

Admin are only selling players because none of the potential new owners are willing to complete the deal until sufficient player sales have taken place to cut costs and pay debts off. The only reason players are going on the cheap is because they are the best offers they are getting in as not many clubs have any money and they know we are so desperate. Admin just playing the cards they are dealt unfortunately and if any of the new owners stepped up immediately we possibly wouldn't have needed to sell anyone on the cheap.

Last edited:
I suspect it's to do with the definition of "years" and "seasons". I'm not sure how part seasons would be counted.

From the EFL website:

Guidance

A player signing a contract at the age of 17 cannot sign for a period longer than 3 years or 3 seasons (whichever is the shorter) – see Article 18(2) of the FIFA Regulations. The Football Association has now advised that this includes the period of any option period included in the agreement, so any contracts which are lodged which include an option that would result in a term in excess of three years will be rejected.

He signed a new contract in November 2019 according to the official website which would take him to the end of 21-22 season so it sounds like we screwed up badly.

Tribunals only come into play if he stays in England. If he moves abroad or even to Scotland he would leave for nothing. Also getting a Tribunal fee in 12 months is not something Admin will really be worried about as if they don't raise funds now there may not be a club by then.

Admin are not so looking to screw us but keep the club going in the immediate term. We have not paid July's players wages and they are due and we owe milliins transfer money too in the next few weeks. If the players wages become too late they can all go on frees and if we don't pay the transfer fees due it's a 15 points deduction. It's proving hard enough to sell us as it is, if the club ends up with no players left and starting on -15 we are probably unsellable at that point. It's crisis management.

If admin could sell everyone for more they would as it would make their life much easier and help them get out and get paid sooner but all the other clubs know we are desperate and are low balling us.

I don't think we should consider the administrators as either our friend looking after us or our enemy trying to screw us - they are just doing their job. Their vested interest is keeping the club alive and getting it sold asap - which aligns with what us fans want.

Admin are only selling players because none of the potential new owners are willing to complete the deal until sufficient player sales have taken place to cut costs and pay debts off. The only reason players are going on the cheap is because they are the best offers they are getting in as not many clubs have any money and they know we are so desperate. Admin just playing the cards they are dealt unfortunately and if any of the new owners stepped up immediately we possibly wouldn't have needed to sell anyone on the cheap.

So if that's the case then some may say... how can we trust any prospective buyers as surely it makes business sense not to let admin dismantle the club now and sell players for peanuts. If they just bought now it could be avoided...

Well not if you dont want to use your own hard cash to clear a defecit. Financial suicide imo because of the pandemic. The transfer market will surely sink and many players will be released into the free agent pool. Id hazard a guess that the new owners dont feel we would get anything like market value for young lads and so would prefer admin to be the bad guys. Imagine starting your tenure of the club with an underwhelming sale of assets like gelhardt weir devine and so on. We'd be moaning at them till eternity on here saying theyre dodgy owners before they start.

As hard to bare as this period is for us all we need to remember every sale of a player is vital for our long term future. We just need to live to fight another day. Let the lads go on and wish them all well. No one player is bigger than the club not even a squad of them. Unless it was sir ben 🙏 😉.

LYNN GELHART

Wigan will always have a big place in our hearts we love the club and wish everyone the best for the future. Thank you to @Williams63Kenny @GJRioch @kdriscoll90 @chaddy_nc and all the staff and players for everything you have done for us over the years we’ll forever be grateful
Course they must have gratitude. Latics have put the work in and developed the lad. He will now have an unthinkable salary and he will possibly be sold on in the future for masses more than than the alleged fee the parasite administrator have given him away for. This stinks to high hell.

I don't think we should consider the administrators as either our friend looking after us or our enemy trying to screw us - they are just doing their job. Their vested interest is keeping the club alive and getting it sold asap - which aligns with what us fans want. But they will sell us to the highest bidder regardless of if tgey are the best bet and sell our assets below market value 2 things that fans won't want. They are neither sinner nor saint.

Para fucking sites.

Course they must have gratitude. Latics have put the work in and developed the lad. He will now have an unthinkable salary and he will possibly be sold on in the future for masses more than than the alleged fee the parasite administrator have given him away for. This stinks to high hell.

Just because we think he should be worth millions right now doesn't mean that someone is willing to pay that.

There's been plenty of publicity that Joffy might be going. If someone fancied paying £5m, hell, even £2m, we'd have sold him to them instead.

However, it seems that no-one did.

Para fucking sites.

They're doing their job. It's as simple as that.

Without them we'd already be liquidated though. The club is dying and Admin is effectively the life support trying to keep the pulse going while the potential new owners mess about deciding if they will try and save us or leave us to die.

They are neither friend nor foe - just part of the process.
And taking a big cut as well

And taking a big cut as well

If they didn't get paid they wouldnt be doing it and Wigan Athletic would already be liquidated. No one works for free and someone has to do the job.

As I say they are not doing us a favour being here but they aren't here to screw the club either - just try and get the club sold and keep it afloat until then despite the lack of revenue.

We aren't in this situation because of the Administratiors, so no point blaming the guys mopping up the mess the owners left us all with.