players driving themselves to games | Page 3 | Vital Football

players driving themselves to games

I enjoyed the away day there in the cup. I think Curtis Weston scored under Hess when they were doing alright in L1 and us L2. I feel like we went on to play a Prem team that season - Stoke maybe?

I am kind of aware but have never pursued it. I use my personal car for business travel and have a mileage allowance repaid as you describe. I also get a set payment each month for using my car as part of salary package. Presumably this would stop me for claiming the difference between my company mileage allowance and the inland revenue allowance?

I don't travel very often so it's more of a point of interest than anything else.
Sorry Mark, been watching the cricket, but I see that Trashbat has answered you question in great detail. Your employer is also authorised to increase the standard revenue payment by 5p per mile for every passenger, but you aren't allowed to claim the tax on that amount if your employer doesn't pay it.

I told an old boy about it who used his own car to deliver prescriptions on behalf of the local pharmacy but received only a nominal mileage payment in retorn. He had detailed records going back over several years (less than 6) and was able to produce them to the revenue "confirmed" by his employer. His tax refund enabled him to change his car for a considerably newer model.

Lintrott is cycling on his BMX because he hasn’t passed his driving test yet.

Hope the poor lad didn't get a puncture on the way. Didn't even make the bench. Let's hope he's not got to ride back home again. Only consolation is at least it's all down hill on the way home.

It wouldn’t stop you from claiming and if you’re racking up decent mileage then it is well worthwhile. By way of example, if you travel 10k miles in a personal vehicle to a temporary place of work and your employer reimbursed you 20p per mile, assuming you are a higher rate tax payer - then the claim would save you:

(45p/mile - 20p/mile) x 10,000miles x 40%marginal tax rate = £1,000. Kerrttching.

You should be able to do it retrospectively for prior tax years too!

Bert and Trashbat. Thanks for sharing.

My mileage allowance is less than the HMRC allowance but I also get a set payment of £500 a month. The total would be way higher than the difference between the two mileage allowances. Doesn't this mean that I have had my expenses fully reimbursed and therefore couldn't claim from the HMRC ?

My mileage allowance is less than the HMRC allowance but I also get a set payment of £500 a month. The total would be way higher than the difference between the two mileage allowances. Doesn't this mean that I have had my expenses fully reimbursed and therefore couldn't claim from the HMRC ?

I assume that it is paid as a part of your salary and is taxable. In those circumstances it sounds like the payment is more towards the purchase of the vehicle and not to cover travelling costs. In my opinion I think that you are entitled to claim for it. However why don't you have a word with your Company's in house accountant and ask his opinion.

In relation to the 45p, it is made up of two parts from the employer's perspective. Depending on the car engine size, around 18p - 25p** of the 45p is considered fuel allowance. The other odd 20p is considered a contribution towards the wear and tear of your car. Hence an employer can claim VAT back against the first 18p-25p of allowance but not anything over this.

When you say "My mileage allowance is less than the HMRC allowance" then is the allowance something like the 18p-25p range? If so, this would suggest the £500 is considered a contribution towards the maintenance of your car.

The question would be which of the following numbers is bigger:

a) Average Monthly Miles x (company allowance rate) added to the £500.
b) Average Monthly Miles x 45p

If a) is bigger then you probably won't be able to claim Mileage Allowance Relief, but if b) is bigger then you might be able to claim against the difference.

From the main paragraph I read it as a) being bigger? Therefore I'd say any claim would be rejected by the HMRC.

Depending on the size in the difference in numbers then speak to an accountant who'd be able to look into your mileage and do some calculations with the actual numbers.

** these were the rates from a few years ago when I was going this stuff. The rates might have been tweaked since

In relation to the 45p, it is made up of two parts from the employer's perspective. Depending on the car engine size, around 18p - 25p** of the 45p is considered fuel allowance. The other odd 20p is considered a contribution towards the wear and tear of your car. Hence an employer can claim VAT back against the first 18p-25p of allowance but not anything over this.

When you say "My mileage allowance is less than the HMRC allowance" then is the allowance something like the 18p-25p range? If so, this would suggest the £500 is considered a contribution towards the maintenance of your car.

The question would be which of the following numbers is bigger:

a) Average Monthly Miles x (company allowance rate) added to the £500.
b) Average Monthly Miles x 45p

If a) is bigger then you probably won't be able to claim Mileage Allowance Relief, but if b) is bigger then you might be able to claim against the difference.

From the main paragraph I read it as a) being bigger? Therefore I'd say any claim would be rejected by the HMRC.

Depending on the size in the difference in numbers then speak to an accountant who'd be able to look into your mileage and do some calculations with the actual numbers.

** these were the rates from a few years ago when I was going this stuff. The rates might have been tweaked since

£500 is likely taxable income paid directly to the employer and taxed at source. For all intents and purposes, it is no different to a salary. The £500 is not an allowance. It is a misnomer and has no relevance in determining what you can claim back in your tax return for mileage to a temporary place of work in a personal vehicle.

That 5-1 defeat and the opening 35 minutes were one of the most inept Gills performances I've witnessed in person. The dark humour in the away end (or side) was the only saving grace,although the atmosphere towards the team and PT was very to the point as well.

Recall this game. The away end was sold out and after asking for a ticket at the ground, I then asked for a home end ticket instead which I got.

It was pretty clear I was a Gills fan. I let Taylor know (as I was sat by the dugout) what a pile of crap that performance was. Not a pleasant afternoon being sat around home fans.

The £500 is not an allowance.

I think I wrote allowance as the whole thing we are talking about is the mileage allowance relief and I note that I used the word 7 times in 4 paragraphs. Plus back in the day the company I was working for at the time referred to the non-mileage only part as "The Allowance". I'm not sure what a more correct term would be.

We used to work out what was considered acceptable expected level of mileage for each sales person and then do the mileage x p/mile and then add on a bit extra based upon what we thought they'd lose as taxable income. Or we did for the important sales people.

Bert, Trashbat and Rob thanks for all the replies. You have confirmed my long held belief that tax is too taxing for the averaging person :-)

I think HMRC designed it that way so the clever people with accountants can legally avoid tax and the rest of us just pay it :-)

Trashbat is correct the £500 a month is a component of my overall package and is taxed each month at source (PAYE) . Its in lieu of a car.

I guess I could claim the mileage difference but I'm not going to . My travel at the moment is limited to 3 or 4 trips a year to Lincoln of all places so not too many miles.

I successfully added my professional fees and home office set up costs to the my allowance this year and I think I'll quit while a head.

I don't want to do self assessment - simple PAYE is all I need.

Thanks for sharing your experience though. I do appreciate it.

Bert, Trashbat and Rob thanks for all the replies. You have confirmed my long held belief that tax is too taxing for the averaging person :-)

I think HMRC designed it that way so the clever people with accountants can legally avoid tax and the rest of us just pay it :-)

Trashbat is correct the £500 a month is a component of my overall package and is taxed each month at source (PAYE) . Its in lieu of a car.

I guess I could claim the mileage difference but I'm not going to . My travel at the moment is limited to 3 or 4 trips a year to Lincoln of all places so not too many miles.

I successfully added my professional fees and home office set up costs to the my allowance this year and I think I'll quit while a head.

I don't want to do self assessment - simple PAYE is all I need.

Thanks for sharing your experience though. I do appreciate it.

Professional tax advisor here.

Trashbat is right, the £500 "allowance" is essentially just a cash payment, so doesn't matter for mileage. It's the same as anything given that isn't your normal salary. It is usually just something different so it doesn't get factored in to you pension or any percentage based pay rises/bonuses and similar.

On mileage, you are eligible to claim up to 45p per mile for the first 10k, then 25p thereafter.

If your employer has reimbursed you under 45p per mile, then you can claim the difference on a tax return if you wish to do one.

You should also be able to claim deductions for professional fees, such as registration to a regulatory body or similar, and costs of home as office and any office equipment you purchased that you otherwise would not need.

I completely understand that you may not want the hassle of doing a tax return, (frankly I'm the same - I could personally claim back a small amount but I don't bother) but I do my mother's return each year as she's self employed, and the online system for doing it is significantly easier than is used to be. That said, I'm obviously a professional and know what I'm looking out for.

As for you point about tax not being taxing etc - the problem is that rules change year on year, and what was true ten years ago, even five years ago, may not be true now, so when you aren't in the industry, you're probably working on outdated info!

Can't complain though, keeps my dog in kibble after all!

Last edited: