players driving themselves to games | Page 2 | Vital Football

players driving themselves to games

That was back in 2009 Mark Stimson allowed players living in the London area to make their own way to the ground. Then some nutter caused chaos by getting on to a roof and the police closed the surrounding roads for some reason. The team coach was held up and some players were making their way on the tube and could not be contacted, the trouble was there enough Gills players were already in the ground and the referee(Andy D'Urso) insisted on being given the team sheet and kicking off on time. We lost 3-1. The biggest mistake was players going to the ground independently instead of meeting coach somewhere close by. Stimson never again allowed independent travel to the oppositions ground.
We had to wear Leyton Orient's away kit, and Simon Royce had to bike it to Brisbane Road, after that game, I remember Paul Scally making a statement where it didn't matter if Gillingham were traveling to Maidstone United or Carlisle United, we're traveling together as a team.

Alan Julian was warming up to play on the wing before kick off because Andy D'Urso would not delay kick off because of the traffic problems around the ground.

In all seriousness if the players don't mind and it doesn't impact results in a bad way, why not.

The key is to keep the players happy, fit and motivated. That seemed to be the case on Saturday.

That was back in 2009 Mark Stimson allowed players living in the London area to make their own way to the ground. Then some nutter caused chaos by getting on to a roof and the police closed the surrounding roads for some reason. The team coach was held up and some players were making their way on the tube and could not be contacted, the trouble was there enough Gills players were already in the ground and the referee(Andy D'Urso) insisted on being given the team sheet and kicking off on time. We lost 3-1. The biggest mistake was players going to the ground independently instead of meeting coach somewhere close by. Stimson never again allowed independent travel to the oppositions ground.

Are you sure we lost 3-1? My memory is that we were 3-0 up until the last ten or fifteen minutes when their left back (their fucking left back!) scored a hat-trick to earn Orient a draw.

Or was that another season? Pretty sure I've not imagined it but maybe I have....

I don't want to teach anyone to "suck eggs" and I suspect that everyone knows that there is an Inland Revenue mileage rate that an employer can pay for work related mileage. However many employers pay less than the "Revenue Rate". What many people don't know is that the employee can claim the difference between the revenue rate and the rate that their employer pays as a tax allowance on their tax returns.

Are you sure we lost 3-1? My memory is that we were 3-0 up until the last ten or fifteen minutes when their left back (their fucking left back!) scored a hat-trick to earn Orient a draw.

Or was that another season? Pretty sure I've not imagined it but maybe I have....
I think that was another game. I'm 99% sure we lost the game where the players all got stuck in traffic

I don't want to teach anyone to "suck eggs" and I suspect that everyone knows that there is an Inland Revenue mileage rate that an employer can pay for work related mileage. However many employers pay less than the "Revenue Rate". What many people don't know is that the employee can claim the difference between the revenue rate and the rate that their employer pays as a tax allowance on their tax returns.

I am kind of aware but have never pursued it. I use my personal car for business travel and have a mileage allowance repaid as you describe. I also get a set payment each month for using my car as part of salary package. Presumably this would stop me for claiming the difference between my company mileage allowance and the inland revenue allowance?

I don't travel very often so it's more of a point of interest than anything else.

The Orient away game when we were 3-0 up and Matt Lockwood the Orient left back scored a hatrick in the last 15 minutes was in September 2006.

The nutter on the roof that lead to traffic chaos was in December 2009 when we had the Essex based boys playing for us (Royce, Bentley, Miller, Lewis,Oli) hence why they were allowed to make their own way to Orient. We lost that game 3-1.

Last edited:
Christ that Lockwood hat-trick game. I remember everyone just standing in shock at the final whistle with the odd “what the fucking hell was that?” Being sung. Eerily quiet tube journey back.

The traffic chaos was another classic.

Not to mention the one where we were 4-0 down by 35 minutes. I missed the third as I was in the toilet, and when done my brother asked if we should just go back to the pub. “Nah, wait until half time”. Hear the cheers as we concede straight from kick off. “Fuck this, back to the pub”

Further cost saving measures in the pipeline:

Their partners to launder their playing kit and provide packed lunch/dinner

Players to give each other massages (without happy endings)

Only cold water available in the showers

Three players to be trained as authorised stretcher carriers

Club Captain to mark out the pitch before home games.
In a further attempt to reduce costs the Club have allegedly refused to pay fuel and mileage expenses for players' cars.

Consequently several have been spotted hitch hiking their way to Lincoln.

Christ that Lockwood hat-trick game. I remember everyone just standing in shock at the final whistle with the odd “what the fucking hell was that?” Being sung. Eerily quiet tube journey back.

The traffic chaos was another classic.

Not to mention the one where we were 4-0 down by 35 minutes. I missed the third as I was in the toilet, and when done my brother asked if we should just go back to the pub. “Nah, wait until half time”. Hear the cheers as we concede straight from kick off. “Fuck this, back to the pub”

That 5-1 defeat and the opening 35 minutes were one of the most inept Gills performances I've witnessed in person. The dark humour in the away end (or side) was the only saving grace,although the atmosphere towards the team and PT was very to the point as well.

Was the traffic around the Leyton game due to snow ?

I vaguely remember failing to get to an Orient game - and turning back (near Dagenham?) when I realised I'd miss most of the second half.
I'm not sure to be honest, above The Roone said it was due to someone standing on a roof (presumably threatening to jump)

I am kind of aware but have never pursued it. I use my personal car for business travel and have a mileage allowance repaid as you describe. I also get a set payment each month for using my car as part of salary package. Presumably this would stop me for claiming the difference between my company mileage allowance and the inland revenue allowance?

I don't travel very often so it's more of a point of interest than anything else.

It wouldn’t stop you from claiming and if you’re racking up decent mileage then it is well worthwhile. By way of example, if you travel 10k miles in a personal vehicle to a temporary place of work and your employer reimbursed you 20p per mile, assuming you are a higher rate tax payer - then the claim would save you:

(45p/mile - 20p/mile) x 10,000miles x 40%marginal tax rate = £1,000. Kerrttching.

You should be able to do it retrospectively for prior tax years too!

Was the traffic around the Leyton game due to snow ?

I vaguely remember failing to get to an Orient game - and turning back (near Dagenham?) when I realised I'd miss most of the second half.

I never made it to the Orient game with the idiot on the roof. I picked up a mate from Canary Wharf at half 5 and then sat on the A12 until about 9pm (along with quite a few other gills fans) listening to it on the radio. Eventually got off A12 and able to turn round to come home just before the final whistle went.

In a further attempt to reduce costs the Club have allegedly refused to pay fuel and mileage expenses for players' cars.

Consequently several have been spotted hitch hiking their way to Lincoln.

Lintrott is cycling on his BMX because he hasn’t passed his driving test yet.

That 5-1 defeat and the opening 35 minutes were one of the most inept Gills performances I've witnessed in person. The dark humour in the away end (or side) was the only saving grace,although the atmosphere towards the team and PT was very to the point as well.
I heard about the “Let’s all do the Taylor” while standing with their arms crossed!