Player scores v Rotherham | Vital Football

Player scores v Rotherham

Calvin Plummer

Vital Football Legend
Pants: 7, dealt fairly well with the little he had to.

Janko: 7.5, looks promising, good physical presence and offers himself well going forward.

Robinson: 6.5, one excellent intervention but he slows our play down a touch too much. Got to provide more width in this formation.

Hefele: 7.5, strong and solid.

Fox: 7.5, another good game from Danny and as he realised our central two midfielders were ineffective began to step forward, creating space and pinging the odd good pass.

Watson: 6, huffs and puffs but he's not blowing any houses down.

Gueddy: 6, peripheral at best. His was magnificent early in the season but isn't dictating in that fashion currently.

Osborn: 6.5, busy but largely ineffective, important that he kept trying though.

Dias: 6, flashes of talent but little end product.

Carvalho: 6.5, as above but a couple more flashes.

Grabban: 6.5, no real threat in behind their defence, kept her nerve at least.

Subs: Lolley one important contribution with Ben late on otherwise so so, Cash had little impact and why Bridcutt wasn't brought on 20 minutes earlier I've no idea.

Karanka: 6.5, tried to change things when it became obvious we were being comfortably snuffed out but he's torn between letting the handbrake off and his natural instinct to keep things tight. Today was a day for the latter.

Wee bit harsh on Robinson imo

Think it's hard to show pace and get in behind 10 men behind the ball. Having said that think we are going to need to become better at breaking teams down.

Back 5 agree with, although Pantillimon slows things down far too much.
Watson 5 at best, only passes backwards or sideways

Gueddy 4 Awful

Osborb 6 tried hard but just wasn’t his day

Dias nondescript performance today, wasn’t really involved

Carvalho 7 thought he played quite well and was best of the front six

Grabban 6.5 I feel for him, as he gets hardly any service, even more so today.

We were very poor today, and a better team would HAVE beat us, we were just lucky Rotherham didn’t want to shoot.

Pretty much agree CP but would knock Pants to 6.5 as he doesn’t get things moving and Janko I would give a 7. Decent but not as good as Wednesday.

I would still be inclined to give Os a 7. For all his misplaced passes and the fact it wasn’t his day he still kept going, kept trying and it paid off when he won the penalty.

Not a great day or a day for the purists though.

Wee bit harsh on Robinson imo

Think it's hard to show pace and get in behind 10 men behind the ball. Having said that think we are going to need to become better at breaking teams down.

It's not about pace in a straight line, it's about quickly he hits space, receives the ball, gives it on and repeats. A few have singled out that he was disappointing in that regard.

Back 5 agree with, although Pantillimon slows things down far too much.
Watson 5 at best, only passes backwards or sideways

Gueddy 4 Awful

Osborb 6 tried hard but just wasn’t his day

Dias nondescript performance today, wasn’t really involved

Carvalho 7 thought he played quite well and was best of the front six

Grabban 6.5 I feel for him, as he gets hardly any service, even more so today.

We were very poor today, and a better team would HAVE beat us, we were just lucky Rotherham didn’t want to shoot.

Really not sure about your last paragraph Mappred - "We were very poor today, and a better team would HAVE beat us, we were just lucky Rotherham didn’t want to shoot"

Rotherham played with a back 5 and when we were attacking they had everyone behind the ball!!!

Not sure you understand how difficult it is to play against teams who come to park the bus and play the way they did, so I give credit to the team for keeping going until the end and getting the rewards.

A better team would not have beaten us like you say because a better team would not have played that way - We are never going to steam roller teams if they come to the City Ground with the attitude of teams like Rotherham - It's ugly I know but we have to get used to it so if we can score a goal early doors it will clearly fcuk the plans up of teams with those sort of tactics - they will have to come out in hope of an equaliser which will give us more space to play our football and hopefully score more goals.

You might find as the season goes on Forest will probably play their best football away from home and after seeing today's game wait until you see the reverse fixture at Rotherham - they won't play the same tactics you've witnessed today on their home turf so please cut Forest some slack and give them some credit for battling to the end and getting 3 points from a negative team that played negative tactics and who made it hard for us and just came for a point.

I would pull pants down to a 6.5 but the rest are fair. Gueddy was Gueddy, absolutely no surprise for me. Bridcutt and Yacob against Stoke would be my choice but Karanka has a very fixed mindset it seems (Watson) so I doubt that one will happen. I see Joe is now opening his gob up north so I wouldnt be surprised if he was sold in January.

I can't see his post as I've got HIM placed firmly on ignore but I suspect that's Red David talking about pulling pants down again? Tops off pseud ****

Really not sure about your last paragraph Mappred - "We were very poor today, and a better team would HAVE beat us, we were just lucky Rotherham didn’t want to shoot"

Rotherham played with a back 5 and when we were attacking they had everyone behind the ball!!!

Not sure you understand how difficult it is to play against teams who come to park the bus and play the way they did, so I give credit to the team for keeping going until the end and getting the rewards.

A better team would not have beaten us like you say because a better team would not have played that way - We are never going to steam roller teams if they come to the City Ground with the attitude of teams like Rotherham - It's ugly I know but we have to get used to it so if we can score a goal early doors it will clearly fcuk the plans up of teams with those sort of tactics - they will have to come out in hope of an equaliser which will give us more space to play our football and hopefully score more goals.

You might find as the season goes on Forest will probably play their best football away from home and after seeing today's game wait until you see the reverse fixture at Rotherham - they won't play the same tactics you've witnessed today on their home turf so please cut Forest some slack and give them some credit for battling to the end and getting 3 points from a negative team that played negative tactics and who made it hard for us and just came for a point.
Totally agree.

It wasn't so much that forest played badly, we just played badly around that particular tactic. Carvalho and Dias really struggled without space. First half we constantly has Geddy or Watson with the ball just our side of the half way line passing it between themselves and hefele because every player forward of them was marked out of the game. Osborn was not able to beat his man sufficiently on the left and Dias had two men on him on the right. We just couldn't get it forward without the whole Rotherham team pouncing immediately.

Wednesday didn't play like that and others won't. But some will.

If anyone remembers the L1 days, most teams, probably 18/23 came to the CG to do this. Rotherham are for all intents and purposes a L1 team trying to tough it out at this level.

We struggled to break down a very tough, organised and determined team. It's a perfectly legitimate tactic and I don't have any illusions that we would be any different if we went up to the PL

We are a team that struggles going forward and we were playing a team that came with a game plan to not concede.

They made it difficult for us and we struggled. We were never in any real danger of losing but it could easily have ended in a draw.

We kept going and got the points so now AK needs to come up with a game plan to deal with sides like this just as managers of other sides do.

A bit patronising, but I’ll respond anyway. We gave the ball away so many times, that I think a better team would’ve beat us. Forest were shocking yesterday, and Gueddy played like George Weah’s cousin. Fox got man of the match because Rotherham didn’t just park the bus, they had a go because of how poor we were. They just didn’t seem to have their shooting boots on, and better team would have punished us. They closed us down very well, but isn’t that what most teams do?
And yes of course if we scored an early goal it would have been different, but it wasn’t because not only were we shit, we played Grabban up front on his own which suited Rotherham perfectly, and the poor bloke didn’t get a sniff. We didn’t even leave him up top, when they had corner, and it came straight back again, luckily Rotherham were worse than we were.

Trust me Map, I wasn't being patronising - my post was about how I saw the game - it's about opinions and I respect yours.

Where I differ is - Yes, we may have given the ball away quite a lot and that's because if one of our defenders or midfielders has to find one of our players he has 11 of theirs in front of him and some of our forward runners are all being marked with 1 or 2 of theirs - it's inevitable we are not going to get the ball away or we may lose it on the pass!!!

I'm not going to comment why Fox was made man of the match when the MotM is chosen by the match sponsors who know naff-all about football - they are only there putting money in on a day out to show off to their wives - girlfriends and their business customers wives & girlfriends - please don't challenge me on it because I've been an invited guest at some of these sponsors dues and it's not even laughable watching how they pick the MotM.

Again you say: "They just didn’t seem to have their shooting boots on" Well, if you can't break down the 10 man wall in front of you then how can you shoot past them in and around the box???

Most teams in this league would have struggled yesterday against their tactics!!! We weren't Sh!t as you put it - it was Rotherham and their tactics that were sh!t which made it a sh!t game so let's give Forest some credit for sticking at it and getting the 3 points.

Rotherham only ever came into the game when they was under the cosh with us pressing with 10 men and a big boot found its way into our half - they didn't play football to get it there but we still had to defend well to not get caught - I think you might have had a lot more to say had they scored because that is what's happened to us on many occasions in the past in that type of match.

You're being very harsh and critical on a Forest side that is still a work in progress - One question I have to ask Mapp is - Have you ever played football? because it seems you don't know much about how to counter different teams & their tactics - sometimes you are only as good as the team in front of you!!! So NO, you can't say because of how we played yesterday we would have got beaten - we would have played differently because the opposition would have played differently!!!

We agree to differ Mapp and I'll still respect your opinion like every one else's on here Me Duck.

Quite funny yesterday- I was lamenting not putting Carvalho up front when defending a corner then he goes and intercepts and breaks away on a dangerous counter!

Just goes to show that we have opinions but not always the knowledge of championship coaches and managers!

Trust me Map, I wasn't being patronising - my post was about how I saw the game - it's about opinions and I respect yours.

Where I differ is - Yes, we may have given the ball away quite a lot and that's because if one of our defenders or midfielders has to find one of our players he has 11 of theirs in front of him and some of our forward runners are all being marked with 1 or 2 of theirs - it's inevitable we are not going to get the ball away or we may lose it on the pass!!!

I'm not going to comment why Fox was made man of the match when the MotM is chosen by the match sponsors who know naff-all about football - they are only there putting money in on a day out to show off to their wives - girlfriends and their business customers wives & girlfriends - please don't challenge me on it because I've been an invited guest at some of these sponsors dues and it's not even laughable watching how they pick the MotM.

Again you say: "They just didn’t seem to have their shooting boots on" Well, if you can't break down the 10 man wall in front of you then how can you shoot past them in and around the box???

Most teams in this league would have struggled yesterday against their tactics!!! We weren't Sh!t as you put it - it was Rotherham and their tactics that were sh!t which made it a sh!t game so let's give Forest some credit for sticking at it and getting the 3 points.

Rotherham only ever came into the game when they was under the cosh with us pressing with 10 men and a big boot found its way into our half - they didn't play football to get it there but we still had to defend well to not get caught - I think you might have had a lot more to say had they scored because that is what's happened to us on many occasions in the past in that type of match.

You're being very harsh and critical on a Forest side that is still a work in progress - One question I have to ask Mapp is - Have you ever played football? because it seems you don't know much about how to counter different teams & their tactics - sometimes you are only as good as the team in front of you!!! So NO, you can't say because of how we played yesterday we would have got beaten - we would have played differently because the opposition would have played differently!!!

We agree to differ Mapp and I'll still respect your opinion like every one else's on here Me Duck.
Not patronising at all. If you’d have read my post, which you obviously haven’t, I said we were lucky Rotherham didn’t have their shooting boots on, but hey ho. We didn’t give the ball away by only passing it either. Guedioura couldn’t even control the sodding thing, it just kept bouncing off him, and straight to a Rotherham player. And in the first half, Robinson and Osborn were totally wide open, but we were just passing in triangles between Fox, Hef and whoever, it was ridiculous
I do respect your opinion on here and everyone else’s as we all see things differently. Just don’t talk to me like a four year old, it grates a bit.

Not patronising at all. If you’d have read my post, which you obviously haven’t, I said we were lucky Rotherham didn’t have their shooting boots on, but hey ho. We didn’t give the ball away by only passing it either. Guedioura couldn’t even control the sodding thing, it just kept bouncing off him, and straight to a Rotherham player. And in the first half, Robinson and Osborn were totally wide open, but we were just passing in triangles between Fox, Hef and whoever, it was ridiculous
I do respect your opinion on here and everyone else’s as we all see things differently. Just don’t talk to me like a four year old, it grates a bit.

coochy coochy coo