Player Ratings v Charlton | Vital Football

Player Ratings v Charlton

Calvin Plummer

Vital Football Legend
Second best tonight in the first half, we then raised our game to mediocrity. Midfield was most worrying where our 3 were given the run around by 3 kids. Got away with one slightly as per Leeds, all a bit unconvincing so far. We were pressing at the end at least I guess.

Muric: 5.5, if he's in the team for his distribution then ho hum. No idea why we've spent millions on keepers only to be in a worse position.

Jenkinson: 5.5, gets a bit of a pass because he's easing himself back into regular football but he'll be lucky to retain his place over Cash when Lolley returns. Skinned more than once.

Dawson: 6, decent performance, tried to lead especially when we were under pressure early. Lack of pace centrally is an issue with him, Worrall and Watson lacking any.

Worrall: 7, decent without quite being outstanding, grew into the game. Couple of good saving tackles and read danger well.

Robinson: 5, swamped early on but had little help. Like Jenkinson offered far too little going forward which just gave Charlton free reign to bomb forward.

Watson: 5, I've been reasonably impressed so far this season but his lack of mobility and some wayward passing was an issue

Semedo: 4, barely got into the game. Looked lost and clueless as to his role.

Silva: 5, technically nice player but rarely influenced the game

Ameobi: 5, deserved a penalty (though we didn't) which might have changed the game. Otherwise poor offensively and didn't help Robinson enough.

Cash: 5, difficult as he's the new Osborn, too useful to drop but never given time to make a position his own. If it's not to be RB (it should be) then he must work on his awareness and final ball.

Grabban: 5.5, if we don't feed him then he won't score.

Subs: Adomah 6 because he pounced on a mistake and took it well. 5s for the rest.

Lamouchi: 5, I understand why he wants us to be solid first but he must work out a way to inject some creativity into the side. Some nicer football too please.

Muric - 6- makes me nervous. Flapping a couple of times but made a good save in the first balf. Lacking composure. Distribution needs to Improve.
Robinson 5 - hasn't had the greatest of starts . We have zero threat from our fullbacks
Dawson - 7.5 done some very good things but done again for the goal in a similar fashion to Abraham against villa last season.
Worrall - 7.5 - thought he did very well tonight. Cb is the least of our worries.
Jenkinson - 6 - ok. Looked bottled up going forward but looks technically better than the likes of darikwa. Needs games
Semedo - 4.5- kept losing the ball . Has a tendency to drop off and go missing. I would suggest in many of the games he has played so far he has been a bystander for large periods of time.
Silva - 5.- he loses the ball in poor areas on a regular basis . Tried to do some positive things but needs to Improve his passing.
Watson 5 - didn't offer too much tonight. Old and leggy against a fresh side.
Ameobi 5 - poor night. Didn't trouble and looked clumsy
Cash 4.5 - difficult night. Should have squared to grabban. Felt sorry for him in a way as wasn't fed much decent ball .
Grabban 6 - hard to score him really. . Perhaps should have got a shot away in the first half and cahs could have squared to him in the second. Didnt have much support

Adomah 6.5 - got the goal and has looked decent in both appearances off the bench
Bostock 6 - helped steady things.
Mir - hard to score this lad. He adds a bit more mobility and support for grabban. Very hard to gauge so far

Last edited:
Need Pantz back in goal.

Woz was man of the match for me but that isn’t saying much. Was pretty much a carbon copy of the dirty Leeds game we need to impose ourselves first half & at least try & create something for Grabz.

The incident in the second half last night where Cash won the ball high up the pitch and then wasted a glorious chance to square to Grabban was a great example of the good and bad side of him when being played in an attacking role.

The good - He can press and win the ball back high up the pitch.

The bad - He is totally clueless when he's got the ball at his feet. All he had to do in the above situation last night was take a look up and see Grabban waiting in the middle, but he had his head down, kept running and wasted a brilliant opportunity.

He's still young, but he's got enough games under his belt now where you would expect to see him making improvements in areas such as above. His energy and pressing in midfield might make him useful in certain games, but in possession he is a headless chicken at times.

I hope he keeps getting some game time at RB and focuses on trying to make that position his own.

Cheers CP, pretty much agree with what’s been said so far.

Uninspiring is the word I would use, both for last night and the overall start to the season.

Cashz does seem to have stopped falling over all the time. Amazing what the young man can achieve when he stays on his FEET