Player ratings v Birmingham | Vital Football

Player ratings v Birmingham

Calvin Plummer

Vital Football Legend
That's about as easy as life gets in the championship, Birmingham were utterly toothless and defensively poor. How much was down to us time will tell but today was definitely a step in the right direction.

Muric: 6, nothing to do, by and large comfortable on the ball bar one error.

Cash: 8, continues to confound the doubters with an excellent all round performance. Jenkinson has his work cut out to get in the side if he continues in the vein.

Robinson: 8, his best of the season and far better at supporting his man and offering width than he has been.

Dawson: 8, lets hope he stays fit as his calmness and presence benefit everyone. Needs to sharpen up his passing but by and large excellent.

Worrall: 7.5, comfortable and untroubled. It will be interesting to see him without Dawson to get a measure of his progress but right now the back 4 are looking strong.

Watson: 7.5, another good game, controlled the space in front of the defence and was always an option for a simple pass.

Semedo: 7, closer to Grabban which made his life easier. Not a huge influence or threat but some promising stuff.

Sow: 7.5, drifts in and out of games but at times looks like he's waiting to take this division by the scruff of the neck.

Lolley: 8, one of his better outings on the right, looked to be enjoying himself against the blues

Ameobi: 7.5, another who adds physical presence to our side which possibly gave Robinson the confidence to attack more. Pretty hit and miss but a threat at times.

Grabban: 8, took his goal well (though should of had more), and was generally more involved with having players closer to him.

Subs: 7, because why not?

Lamouchi: 7.5, seems to be working on the principle of making us hard to break down, build a platform and play in their third. It's not super pretty but hopefully that will come as the players get to know each other and the likes of Carvalho return.

Muric- 6- absolutely nothing to do which masks his continuing indecision, dubious passing and that the defence seem to take any action they can to prevent him having to make a save

Cash-7- I'm not sure I saw him actually have to do any defending. At all. Basically played as a wingback with Dawson covering for him in a defensive 3 with Watson. I didn't think he had his most effective game going forward actually.

Robinson- 7- wish he was faster but supported his wingers well. Another who had little defending to do.

Dawson- 8- Great goal and helped deal with the threat of Jutkiewitz that I was worried about.

Worrall- 7 - no nonsense and no problems.

Watson- 8- does a good job dropping back and then going forward. Patrolled his space well, whether he had Some with him or not.

Sow- 7- not really sure we needed two DCMs today but he did what he was asked to do well. Pretty sure he came close to scoring as well.

Semedo-7 - a good player clearly and decent on the ball, but his attacking impact isn't that huge. Defensive impact is better (not needed today in fairness).

Ameobi- 8- as a 'target winger' he was great. Big, physical, causing all sorts of problems. Should have scored.

Lolley- 8- scored one, made one. Despite some saying he went missing, he didnt- had some great runs in the second half and wasn't particularly selfish.

Grabban- 8- should have had a hat trick. Kept dropping deep or interchanging with he wings to get the ball. Tormented his defenders at times.

Silva- 7- our attacking play improved markedly after he came on. We needed that extra attacking player.

Mir- 5- I thought he was a showboating prat who should have scored rather than going for the Hollywood shot. Maybe I'll think differently if I get to see a replay, but my opinion if him was low after Tuesday and is lower now

Adomah- 6- should have scored. But his lack of pace and physicality makes him less effective.

Muric- 6- absolutely nothing to do which masks his continuing indecision, dubious passing and that the defence seem to take any action they can to prevent him having to make a save

Cash-7- I'm not sure I saw him actually have to do any defending. At all. Basically played as a wingback with Dawson covering for him in a defensive 3 with Watson. I didn't think he had his most effective game going forward actually.

Robinson- 7- wish he was faster but supported his wingers well. Another who had little defending to do.

Dawson- 8- Great goal and helped deal with the threat of Jutkiewitz that I was worried about.

Worrall- 7 - no nonsense and no problems.

Watson- 8- does a good job dropping back and then going forward. Patrolled his space well, whether he had Some with him or not.

Sow- 7- not really sure we needed two DCMs today but he did what he was asked to do well. Pretty sure he came close to scoring as well.

Semedo-7 - a good player clearly and decent on the ball, but his attacking impact isn't that huge. Defensive impact is better (not needed today in fairness).

Ameobi- 8- as a 'target winger' he was great. Big, physical, causing all sorts of problems. Should have scored.

Lolley- 8- scored one, made one. Despite some saying he went missing, he didnt- had some great runs in the second half and wasn't particularly selfish.

Grabban- 8- should have had a hat trick. Kept dropping deep or interchanging with he wings to get the ball. Tormented his defenders at times.

Silva- 7- our attacking play improved markedly after he came on. We needed that extra attacking player.

Mir- 5- I thought he was a showboating prat who should have scored rather than going for the Hollywood shot. Maybe I'll think differently if I get to see a replay, but my opinion if him was low after Tuesday and is lower now

Adomah- 6- should have scored. But his lack of pace and physicality makes him less effective.

Second half Cash was tested a couple of times, one bit of defensive play was excellent too. Worth noting he won all 5 aerial duels he had (joint most with Dawson) which certainly helps against big sides like Brum.

Second half Cash was tested a couple of times, one bit of defensive play was excellent too. Worth noting he won all 5 aerial duels he had (joint most with Dawson) which certainly helps against big sides like Brum.

I saw him make one good tackle. That was all I saw him have to make and was the furthest back I could remember seeing him. Not sure where those aerial duels were as for a team that use Jutkiewitz they were hopeless in the air.

Would have liked to see Cash get more involved with the fun up front. Felt he was too conservative and tended to try to help others rather than going for it himself.

By and large I felt he was mostly a winger and Dawson just played CB and RB himself

I saw him make one good tackle. That was all I saw him have to make and was the furthest back I could remember seeing him. Not sure where those aerial duels were as for a team that use Jutkiewitz they were hopeless in the air.

Would have liked to see Cash get more involved with the fun up front. Felt he was too conservative and tended to try to help others rather than going for it himself.

By and large I felt he was mostly a winger and Dawson just played CB and RB himself

Ok we've gone from no defending, to a good tackle. It's like drawing teeth lol just wait till Boffin explains it to you.

They didn't seem great in the air because the back 4, all of them were strong there.

Ok we've gone from no defending, to a good tackle. It's like drawing teeth lol just wait till Boffin explains it to you.

They didn't seem great in the air because the back 4, all of them were strong there.
Oh dear. CP looking for an argument again.

I said "I'm not sure I saw him actually have to do any defending today at all". I wasn't trying to claim that as an absolute statement.

I also said on the match thread " As a consequence, Cash barely did any defending today (although I didn't feel he had his most effective game going forward either)". Again, this statement is perfectly in line with what I am saying.

Why don't you try Mao for your daily argument fix?

I thought Watson, bar one bad ball was outstanding today. The only player score I would disagree with is Robbos. I just don't like him as a player. I think he plays some hospital balls and when he puts us under pressure he can't get the ball back without a rash tackle. He had a decent game but overall I think its his shirt to lose.

Probably go for 8s all round.

Cash much better than against WBA, Robinson a bit shaky at first but got better as the game went on. Muric had little to do but was fine apart from one pass out first half which went astray. Luckily they wasted the resulting chance.

Dawson's long balls forward were poor first half, and Worrall also wasted a couple, but they were totally dominant in the air. After a while Birmingham just gave up because we were so solid at the back.

Watson looked a proper DM general and his long passes were generally good. Sow and Semedo broke up a lot of Birmingham attacks.

Lolley and Grabban were back to something like their best. Ameobi was a menace and the Birmingham defence struggled to contain him.

Silva kept the ball well, linked play, kept us moving forward. Great corner for Dawson's goal, great play to set up Ameobi who didn't keep his shot down. Adomah sent a rocket shot wide, ran at the defence and got back well to cover.

Mir is positive, tackles defenders, runs at defenders. Scorpion kick was worth the admission price and would have been a wonder goal if it had dipped under the bar.

Oh dear. CP looking for an argument again.

I said "I'm not sure I saw him actually have to do any defending today at all". I wasn't trying to claim that as an absolute statement.

I also said on the match thread " As a consequence, Cash barely did any defending today (although I didn't feel he had his most effective game going forward either)". Again, this statement is perfectly in line with what I am saying.

Why don't you try Mao for your daily argument fix?

So you made a statement but we should just take it as bollocks? Easily done with you. As I said Boffin will be along to explain to you as he's had to before

I thought Watson, bar one bad ball was outstanding today. The only player score I would disagree with is Robbos. I just don't like him as a player. I think he plays some hospital balls and when he puts us under pressure he can't get the ball back without a rash tackle. He had a decent game but overall I think its his shirt to lose.

I don't like him either, and the first goal came from what easily could have been a free kick to them by him but I do think he had a much more balanced game than usual.

Muric 6.5 nothing much to do but hopefully he's getting more confident.

Cash 7.5 little to do defending wise, more rwb today so more suited to his game. Could do with a bit more composure when gets in a good position.

Dawson 8 captain calm marshals the defence making them a unit, nice to see him score as well.

Worral 7.5 solid and learning from Dawson, better passing today from both.

Robbo 7.5 comfortable all game, got crunched with a nasty one on his leg but got up and kept going.

Watson 8 won't have an easier game used the ball well, read the game always available.

Sow 8 looks very solid, reliable and won't be bullied in games.

Semedo 7.5 furthest forward of the 3 but think he's better deeper, did a job.

Lolley 8 great goal and assist, looked more like himself today possibly because who we were playing hopefully it sparks him.

Ameobi 7.5 big, awkward and quick, did a job helping defend and cashed problems going forward.

Grabban 7.5 took first goal well, put a shift in as well. Should have had 1 or 2 more, also holds it a bit too long where a quick pass might set someone else up.

Subs
Silva got and assist and we looked much more dangerous with him on.

Mir 7 put himself about probably should of scored 1, scorpion kick we as unlucky he could have maybe controlled it but we were cruising so why not .

Adomah 7 not much time but did put one on a plate for grabban, probably should of scored as well.

Lamouchi 7.5 maybe he's getting his plan working, does seem to make subs that have an effect.

So you made a statement but we should just take it as bollocks? Easily done with you. As I said Boffin will be along to explain to you as he's had to before
No. You shouldn't be so autistic in your reading of what people say and then make a fool of yourself by mistaking absolute statements when theybclearly aren't the intention.

And now you have started an argument about whether Matt Cash made a tackle or not.

I don't like him either, and the first goal came from what easily could have been a free kick to them by him but I do think he had a much more balanced game than usual.

Couldn't have been a FK to them as Robbo, after a poor first touch, recovered and got to the ball first.

Their player arrived a fraction late, caught him and was booked.

Cheers CP pretty much agree with that but other than about five or ten minutes it was a pretty straight forward game and felt all over after the first goal.

If only every game was this easy.

No. You shouldn't be so autistic in your reading of what people say and then make a fool of yourself by mistaking absolute statements when theybclearly aren't the intention.

And now you have started an argument about whether Matt Cash made a tackle or not.

Who was that egg shaped feller who used to say the same thing? He sat on a wall and had a great fall...

Shocking use of ASD.

What if he is on the spectrum? Stigmatising from a teacher, what a shock.