Player of the season | Page 4 | Vital Football

Player of the season

It would be interesting to see a list of players actual playing time this season ?
This might tell a tale !

Does anyone know how/where we could get such data ?

It would be interesting to see a list of players actual playing time this season ?
This might tell a tale !

Does anyone know how/where we could get such data ?

Scroll down and click on the competition e,g. League One, FA Cup etc and there is a column for minutes played. There are some interesting stats on this site, not sure of their accuracy but interesting.
You can also click on the "sort" icon next to each heading to sort them based on that particular metric.
Chris Merrie Ranked 4th in minutes played in League One. Thank you for your efforts Chris !
Gavin Massey Yellow Cards !! (considering minutes played), who realised ?
Shame some of the more granular stats such as "attacking" aren't populated. They are for Champ / Prem teams.

https://www.footballcritic.com/wigan-athletic-fc/squad/476

Scroll down and click on the competition e,g. League One, FA Cup etc and there is a column for minutes played. There are some interesting stats on this site, not sure of their accuracy but interesting.
You can also click on the "sort" icon next to each heading to sort them based on that particular metric.
Chris Merrie Ranked 4th in minutes played in League One. Thank you for your efforts Chris !
Shame some of the more granular stats such as "attacking" aren't populated. They are for Champ / Prem teams.

Wow - that’s a really interesting website/link - the minutes played for each of our squad to date, makes very interesting reading ! It is :-

James Jones: 3960 mins
Curtis Tilt: 3129
Tenday Darikawa: 2250
Chris Merrie : 2093
Will Keane : 2081
Viv Solomon : 2062
Tom Pierce: 1976
Funso Ojo : 1974
Lee Evans : 1889
Calum Lang : 1856
Dan Gardner : 1804
Luke Robinson : 1798
Scott Wooton : 1665
George Johnson : 1630
Alex Perry : 1549
Thelo Aasgaard : 1273
Gavin Massey : 1125
Kyle Joseph : 1099

As you say Arthur - thanks for your efforts Chris Merrie - not bad for a so called “Kid” !

That listing doesn't include some of our former players who have made appearances this season such as Naismith, Joe Garner but does include Obi.

I was looking at some state sites the other day and it said that we were joint 5th best on scoring from set pieces and 5th worst for conceding from them. Scoring from 17 and conceding from 19. The conceding wasn't that surprising but considering we spent large parts of the season refusing to even get the ball in the box from set pieces that was a shock. In our final run our set pieces were very good when we stopped complicating it and just put the ball into good areas - imagine if we'd have done that all season.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...6/TeamStatistics/England-League-One-2020-2021

Wow - that’s a really interesting website/link - the minutes played for each of our squad to date, makes very interesting reading ! It is :-

James Jones: 3960 mins
Curtis Tilt: 3129
Tenday Darikawa: 2250
Chris Merrie : 2093
Will Keane : 2081
Viv Solomon : 2062
Tom Pierce: 1976
Funso Ojo : 1974
Lee Evans : 1889
Calum Lang : 1856
Dan Gardner : 1804
Luke Robinson : 1798
Scott Wooton : 1665
George Johnson : 1630
Alex Perry : 1549
Thelo Aasgaard : 1273
Gavin Massey : 1125
Kyle Joseph : 1099

As you say Arthur - thanks for your efforts Chris Merrie - not bad for a so called “Kid” !
There are also another 8 players who have played for us this season, ranging from Harry McHugh who came on as a substitute and played 7 mins to Adam Long who has played 896 minutes.
There are also another 11 players who have played for us and left us during the season, Naismith, Crankshaw, Byrne, Fox, Cameron, Johnson, Palmer, Garner, Roberts, James and Obi.
Add the 8 players on the books who didn't actually play any minutes and it makes 45 players in total, that is some turnover off staff.

That listing doesn't include some of our former players who have made appearances this season such as Naismith, Joe Garner but does include Obi.

I think Sid (could be wrong) that each player only exists once in their database, so for example Naismith is now listed under Luton.
The page that shows minutes played by competition that I posted is navigated to from a teams point of view but you can navigate to some stats directly via players as well. Unfortunately you don't get the same overall view / metrics displayed when navigating via the player search route.
I can see Naismith's games played for us listed but not things like total minutes played, I think all the data is there, just not presented in a way such that we can see detailed metrics when a player moves clubs.

There are also another 8 players who have played for us this season, ranging from Harry McHugh who came on as a substitute and played 7 mins to Adam Long who has played 896 minutes.
There are also another 11 players who have played for us and left us during the season, Naismith, Crankshaw, Byrne, Fox, Cameron, Johnson, Palmer, Garner, Roberts, James and Obi.
Add the 8 players on the books who didn't actually play any minutes and it makes 45 players in total, that is some turnover off staff.

Which goes to strengthen the argument that LR and GR have done a great job this season, I doubt that any other teams in L1 will have had as many players come into and out of their squad. Each time players have come into and out of the team disrupts any understanding between players and prevents partnerships being formed. This was evident towards the end of the season as players understanding grew and performances improved. Earlier in the season the revolving door had unsettled the team and partnerships were formed and broken just as form started to improve and yet LR and GR managed to hold it all together and shape the team into a force capable of putting together a season saving run.

This has been by far the best season of Keane's career since his prolific days in Man United u23s. He has 12 goals, which is double his previous best tally.

The interesting thing is he became more prolific by playing deeper. He's clearly better suited to playing as an attacking midfielder than he is a striker and as far as I'm aware he's never previously played that play maker role - so credit to the coaching staff for coming up with that. It reminded me of when Jewell converted McCollouch from an underwhelming striker into a devastatingly effective attacking midfielder.

It is certainly his best spell of his career and one player that we need to tie down quickly.

For the record, he has scored 11 league goals this season in 32 appearances
Prior to this season he had scored 11 league goals in 105 appearances.

I know it is league one, and the lowest level he has played at, but if he had been signed prior to October and not got Covid, he could have been looking at 20 goals for the season.

Lang and Keane could easily get 35 between them next season, got to build the team around a new keeper, Johnston, Evans(if he stays), Keane, and Lang as that would be a good starting point for a good spine

I'm not at all suggesting that we shouldn't sign Keane, as he has absolutely been an asset and we certainly want to try and keep him based on what he has done for us.

But in the back of my mind i do worry if him and a number of our current players could do a Massey - found a new level in themselves and played out their skin when the contract was running down but as soon as the deal was signed the form fades away.

I really don't know if the likes of Keane and Dodoo will carry their scoring form into next season if they stay. We certainly hope they do and we will give them a chance to do it, but considering neither have ever had any consistency over their careers i think it could go either way.