Player of the season | Page 3 | Vital Football

Player of the season

We can't say administration was such a nightmare that we can't blame the players or Richardson when they struggled for most of the season but blame Sheridan when he was struggling to deal with the nightmare at ground zero. It was such a nightmare Richardson didn't want it and Sheridan was brought in as a result.

If we are saying every player deserves credit even during the early days then surely if we are applying logic consistently so does Sheridan. I am not arguing Sheridan deserves credit - but I think we are applying a double standard to the playing staff and management.

Let's just agree that there's a whole long list of those who deserve credit for our staying up, and Sheridan is at the bottom of that list.

;)

Yes, folk seem quick to throw Sheridan under the bus but forget he was working under the most difficult period. Even Leam was dithering at this point probably seeing at ground level what a shit show was emerging. Everybody played their part including management and of course the players. Even Gav pulled his tripe out and played one match with an operation trolley still strapped to his back ( saved time later innit ).

Sheridan was awful - awful tactics & prepared to throw his players under the bus at every available opportunity rather than admit any fault of his own or shield them from any grief.
How he acted during the Chorley cup game was quite frankly beyond the pale.

And the fact that he went to another club & their fans started to come out with the same criticisms almost immediately says it all.

Yes he was operating under difficult circumstances but that shouldn't be used to cover up all his mistakes & how poor he was. Similar to Kenny Swain all them years ago. Yes the club couldn't afford paper for it's fax machine but he still didn't get the best out of the squad or resources he had. A new manager came in (Barrow - who wasn't without his limitations as a manager) & with the same players & resources started to get far better results & got us away from danger

And I would give a whole team award for player of the season - so may have contributed so much it's hard to single out any one player.
So even though you could argue that the likes of Garner (who threw in the towel against Chorley when he was supposed to be one of the senior pro's and leading by example and who then, allegedly, refused to play for us again ) deserve to get doodly squat, I think a whole team award recognises the combined effort of so many even though some who may not deserve it by definition also get praised as a result

Let's just agree that there's a whole long list of those who deserve credit for our staying up, and Sheridan is at the bottom of that list.

;)

But if we are putting everyone on the list, then he has to be on there, even if it's towards the bottom along with a number of our players.

Sheridan was awful - awful tactics & prepared to throw his players under the bus at every available opportunity rather than admit any fault of his own or shield them from any grief.
How he acted during the Chorley cup game was quite frankly beyond the pale.

And the fact that he went to another club & their fans started to come out with the same criticisms almost immediately says it all.

Yes he was operating under difficult circumstances but that shouldn't be used to cover up all his mistakes & how poor he was. Similar to Kenny Swain all them years ago. Yes the club couldn't afford paper for it's fax machine but he still didn't get the best out of the squad or resources he had. A new manager came in (Barrow - who wasn't without his limitations as a manager) & with the same players & resources started to get far better results & got us away from danger

No one is arguing Sheridan was any good. Just that we should have consistent standards for players and managers. If we want to give everyone credit then we have to include Sheridan. If we are saying Sheridan didn't do enough to deserve any credit then a number of players probably fall into that category too so we can't really give them all POTS jointly.

But if we are putting everyone on the list, then he has to be on there, even if it's towards the bottom along with a number of our players.
I acknowledged KDZ that he should be at the bottom (not just toward the bottom) of the list for those who deserve credit.

However, if I were to be pedantic (would I ?! :innocent:) he shouldn't be included in the joint submission for POTS.

;)

I acknowledged KDZ that he should be at the bottom (not just toward the bottom) of the list for those who deserve credit.

However, if I were to be pedantic (would I ?! :innocent:) he shouldn't be included in the joint submission for POTS.

;)

I think there is a threshold for credit and for me he doesn't hit it, same with a number of players.

When you look over the thread i think everyone has said Lang was our standout player and out of the rest of the squad we've only had the same couple of names for second and third place. I think if POTS should be shared there'd be lots of variety in the names put forward, but since it's the same few names over and over they probably should get that credit individually.

If credit is to be given to Sheridan then it can only be for having the balls to take the job. In any ones book it was a poisoned chalice and he deserves some praise for taking us on and leaving a position in Ireland to do it.

The fact that he then totally cocked it up and was totally useless is probably not his fault, it is the fault of those that appointed him therefore you could include him for a team POTY award. :hmmm:

If credit is to be given to Sheridan then it can only be for having the balls to take the job. In any ones book it was a poisoned chalice and he deserves some praise for taking us on and leaving a position in Ireland to do it.

The fact that he then totally cocked it up and was totally useless is probably not his fault, it is the fault of those that appointed him therefore you could include him for a team POTY award. :hmmm:
That’s the main reason why I’ve never really hammered Sheridan. I’m very glad he’s not in charge and I wasn’t happy when I heard about the plans of the Spanish. But I never really felt comfortable panning him for coming here. He could have jibbed us last minute when he realised what he’d got himself into like that Preston twat Grayson, but he didn’t. Chorley annoyed me though, that was the game when it became clear his days here were numbered one way or another.

This ladies and gentlemen is the answer

I don't have a problem giving the likes of Naismith, James, Obi, Roberts and Crankshaw credit. They tried while they were here, and played in games where we got points.

If it's given to the squad, it's the whole squad, who contributed throughout the season.

Therefore, I have to accept that the likes of Garner, Johnson, Fox and Cameron also get a hint of credit.

I'm sure that at times, it was "all for one, and one for all" ... no exceptions.

I don't have a problem giving the likes of Naismith, James, Obi, Roberts and Crankshaw credit. They tried while they were here, and played in games where we got points.

If it's given to the squad, it's the whole squad, who contributed throughout the season.

Therefore, I have to accept that the likes of Garner, Johnson, Fox and Cameron also get a hint of credit.

I'm sure that at times, it was "all for one, and one for all" ... no exceptions.

Has a former player ever won a "Player of the season" award anywhere before?

That’s the main reason why I’ve never really hammered Sheridan. I’m very glad he’s not in charge and I wasn’t happy when I heard about the plans of the Spanish. But I never really felt comfortable panning him for coming here. He could have jibbed us last minute when he realised what he’d got himself into like that Preston twat Grayson, but he didn’t. Chorley annoyed me though, that was the game when it became clear his days here were numbered one way or another.

If he took it on then I'm sure it was for a better pay rate than he was on at Waterford so I won't even give him the credit for taking it on - no-one expected him (or anyone else) to keep us up for that matter so he had nothing to lose & if he did well then it'd put him back in the shop window for other clubs.
I just thought that it was an odd choice to start with, he always looked a tad inept (even with the restrictions he was operating under) and then the Chorley game exposed him as not really caring (or at least that's the impression that he gave by standing away from everyone with his hands in his pockets, not giving out any instructions, tactics or motivation & I don't think it was any coincidence when we conceded straight after the start of both the 2nd half & extra time) so for me he needed to go

The players have already been rewarded for their efforts from March to May, how many players have been with us for the full season anyway?