Play off misery | Vital Football

Play off misery

The Bolton Bee

Vital Youth Team
I do feel some sympathy for the supporters of Brighton, Walsall and Accrington, all of whom missed promotion by a whisker but all of whom have failed to make their play off final.
Their really ought to be some system in place that reflects the final league positions. The three clubs above had gaps of 15, 10 and 10 points respectively over their play off opponents, all of which counted for nought.
I know that Martin Lange came up with the idea of the play offs and of course we have suffered more than most in them. Surely it is high time the format was changed?

Agree mate, we must be old school. Gutted for Accrington myself. Was really hoping they'd do it.

dont think the clubs would want to see the end of the play offs as they keep the season going til the end of the season for a lot of clubs giving bigger crowds and the chance of getting into the play offs and maybe even a trip to wembley

I am not advocating that Max, merely suggesting that League positions and points should count in some way. Perhaps the higher placed team playing at home in a one off game?

The title of this thread was made for us - regardless of how it is arranged it'll always be misery for BFC.

46 games for what - to come 3rd in a league and lose in the PO's - its even worse on the continent - check out the Belgian PO system, its like rugby league.

Or maybe the 4 play off teams could all play each other with number 3 in the league having 3 points nr 4 2 and 5 1point with nr 6 with no points at the start and the top two play off at Wembley???????

After the way Accrington told me on the phone on the Thursday that "The match was definitely on as there was no rain forecast and they had the best drainage in the country and the pitch was playable now" before I drove up from Portsmouth for my last Bees match before I moved abroad, only to find no rain had fallen in between times and the pitch was far from playable and the match called off just two hours before kick off, wasting my time and money on what was an obvious postponement I hope they fall back out of the league. It's not the last time it's happened either. Glad them and their horrid little Chairman and laughable "ultras" failed.
Do I sound bitter? LOL

Despite the heartache and pain of the playoffs, I agree with them. Otherwise 10+ teams have nothing to play for post February.

I am not advocating abolishing the play-offs, merely suggesting that there should be a way of taking league positions and points into consideration. My suggestion would be that the semi-final should be a one leg match at the ground of the higher placed team, or else 5th plays 6th, the winner plays 4th and the winner of that plays 3rd.

I think I did though Bolton - based entirely on our miserable record in them.

CB - I made that fateful trip to Accy too mate, agree it was a farce but I won't cane them too much for it, if they had managed to get promoted this year it would have been as big a deal as Leicester winning that other thing.

I can't say I feel sorry for Walsall after their ungracious taunts of Dean Smith in the cup game at GP.

Bolton, the play offs are already weighted in favour of the highest placed team. They get to play the crappy team that finished 6th AND they play the home leg last. Same for 4th/5th. Everyone knows the rules at the beginning of the season so no need to cry foul just because Brighton got hammered by Wednesday over two legs. Maybe by May 2016 Wednesday were a better team than Brighton who got most of their points before Christmas.

And who is to say they wouldn't have won even with a further handicap that you are proposing.

It doesn't matter where Brentford finish in the play offs...