"Plastics! Plastics!" | Vital Football

"Plastics! Plastics!"

Brother Mouzone

Vital Reserves Team
Did anyone else witness this post-match? Actual grown adults bellowing at Imps fans leaving the ground that we were "plastics", asking "where were you when you were s**t?" directly in people's faces?

They're all extremely angry with us.

Reaping the rewards of insisting that what really matters is how many fans you take to away game x and how many come through the gates at home on a regular basis I guess.

Did anyone else witness this post-match? Actual grown adults bellowing at Imps fans leaving the ground that we were "plastics", asking "where were you when you were s**t?" directly in people's faces?

They're all extremely angry with us.

Reaping the rewards of insisting that what really matters is how many fans you take to away game x and how many come through the gates at home on a regular basis I guess.

Seems across their forums and social media, they seem very angry. I think it is more about jealousy and anger at a lack of ambition on their owners part. Remember 2 years ago we were NFL and they were EFL 2- we are now on track to gain EFL1 status and they are still floundering in EFL2.

That said, more than once the away end rang out to "you're fake and you know you are". Amazing.

Having said that, I didn't experience any issues walking along the lane towards South Park Ave.

Police reported zero arrests yesterday as well so seems like the most agitated they got was a few angry verbals.

Mate of mine, supporting Imps fan for 50 + years, was approached outside SB pre match by a bunch of 14 year old Cods asking him if it was his first game ?!! He sent them on their way with an ear full !

A few rather pissed up Vale fans were giving it large in The Anchor the other week. This whole plastic thing is getting boring now.

They were soon shown the door btw.

To think if we reach League 1 we will sell near on 7000 season tickets and with the proposed increased capacity as Roger Bates mentioned the average could well be above 10,000.

Think that will be competitive enough to cope.

The problem is success makes people envious and throwing insults somehow satisfies the concern. Use us as a template of what can be achieved with unity and a feeling of togetherness.

Hi, Brother M, as I posted on another thread:

"Interestingly, as Joe and I were driving out the Stacey West car park, a quite rude codhead pointed at my car and said "that car's been to Manchester a few times" to which I replied "no, Liverpool" (referring to the Everton game) at which point he declared "you see, plastics!"

What a thick codknobhead! 56 years I have followed Lincoln, so less of a plastic, more of a bakelite methinks!"

Let's say that all of our new fans are Lincoln people who used to support Man Utd. Isn't that...good? Isn't that what we want? Isn't that what all clubs like us and Grimsby should aspire to? To take people who are locals who "like football" and show them that there's more to it than Sky and transfer banter?

Although I'm not convinced that's who are "new fans" are at all, mostly. Reckon a lot of them are the type of people who used to come three or four times a season but who'd have always told people they supported us. Lapsed fans, casuals. That type of thing.

Surely if & when the Fishheads become good again all their plastics will be out of the cupboards!?.

Let's say that all of our new fans are Lincoln people who used to support Man Utd. Isn't that...good? Isn't that what we want? Isn't that what all clubs like us and Grimsby should aspire to? To take people who are locals who "like football" and show them that there's more to it than Sky and transfer banter?

Although I'm not convinced that's who are "new fans" are at all, mostly. Reckon a lot of them are the type of people who used to come three or four times a season but who'd have always told people they supported us. Lapsed fans, casuals. That type of thing.

Great pseudonym, brother.

Surely if & when the Fishheads become good again all their plastics will be out of the cupboards!?.

Nah, they don't have any. You'd have to go back several decades to find an average gate over 10,000. Their average in the old second division in the nineties hovered around 6,000. At their peak, when they finished ninth, the average was 6,091.

In their three consecutive play-off failure seasons in the National League, they averaged around 3,600. Their promotion season saw an average of 4,357 through the gates. Promotion back to the league got them an extra 1,000 a game but that slipped by 500 after the first season back and is continuing to fall.

Simply, Grimsby Town do not have the fans. I'd wager they'd get maybe 5,000-6,000 through the gates if they were challenging for promotion but it wouldn't rise much more than that if they went up.

Last edited by a moderator:
For years they took the piss as we had no fans, now we have fans going every week they're having a moan about that, bloody priceless!
A lot of my mates have 'returned ', as others have said a definite case of lapsed fans.
My daughter is in her 5th season, does that make her plastic?

It's at times like this where I turn to Britain's most enlightened scripture - Harry Potter.

I now quote to you from Book 5 - The Order of the Phoenix -

"Provoked you! Of course he was trying to provoke you! He had just lost!" Shrieked Professor McGonagall.

Indeed. We have always had around this level of support for many years
It's just that these last 2 or 3 seasons most of that support comes most of the time whereas previously we would see the Bank full for the more important matches only (and that's not playing a Prem Lge team but for example facing Aldershot to try and not drop out of the Lge again).

And first time in conference, we had some pretty big crowds, with an official attendance over 9000 at the promotion match, with an unofficial 13000...
And i think i remember 12000 or so vs Huddersfield back in 1981 or around that time, xmas anyway, lost 2-1.

Our fan base has always been out there but its perfectly understandable that more people come more often when it actually matters more!

Nah, they don't have any. You'd have to go back several decades to find an average gate over 10,000. Their average in the old second division in the nineties hovered around 6,000. At their peak, when they finished ninth, the average was 6,091.

In their three consecutive play-off failure seasons in the National League, they averaged around 3,600. Their promotion season saw an average of 4,357 through the gates. Promotion back to the league got them an extra 1,000 a game but that slipped by 500 after the first season back and is continuing to fall.

Simply, Grimsby Town do not have the fans. I'd wager they'd get maybe 5,000-6,000 through the gates if they were challenging for promotion but it wouldn't rise much more than that if they went up.
I think they took over 5000 to palace in the fa cup recently ,fantastic support and alot more than there league average.