Planning for end of season | Page 7 | Vital Football

Planning for end of season

He's being paid. Assuming he is working in a safe environment then he should report for work. If he is designated "at risk" then it is a different story.
If it isn't safe for somebody to work then they really shouldn't be contractually obliged to work. If you are living with somebody who is designated as high risk (as it sounds like his son is) then he really should be exempted from having to put his family at risk.

Putting people in a position of having to put work before the safety of their family really is not a society I would want to be living in.

I doubt whether it is any coincidence that the two Club captains who have been the most negative about a restart are West Ham's Noble, and Watford's Deeney.
And I'm sure it isn't a coincidence that it has been the likes of Sky and TalkSport who have been pushing this point against potential relegated clubs. Sky and TalkSport of course are completely neutral in all of this and have nothing to gain from football returning...

Millions of businesses are going under, if any football club goes under so be it.

A ball in the back of the net is not an essential job. It's a luxury.

To be honest, as painful as this would be for so many people; football has evolved in a bubble - it is now surreal in terms of it's disconnect from financial reality - I genuinely never thought that there were so many stupid rich businessmen around to keep fueling it's lunacy - so if now we had a run of the badly run clubs going under, I would applaud it - it's probable the only path back from financial madness.

When or if open door football returns only every 3rd seat will be occupied...all that lost season ticket revenue eh!

Football should not try to go back to how it was before the virus.

Give home grown academy players their chance. Cut out for good ridiculous transfer fees and salaries. Tell the agent leeches to fcuk off as well.
Cut wages of the greedy spoilt superstars.......or fcuk off ..go find any club that can match yer wages now mate!
Maybe just maybe football, to survive will have to remember us supporters and remember its roots and the fact that many supporters have lost jobs and wont be able to afford the old prices to attend anyway....so what are you gonna do to help that scenarion clubs?.

Otherwise it will die.....wake up call big time!.

When or if open door football returns only every 3rd seat will be occupied...all that lost season ticket revenue eh!

Give home grown academy players their chance. Cut out for good ridiculous transfer fees and salaries. Tell the agent leeches to fcuk off as well.
Cut wages of the greedy spoilt superstars.......or fcuk off ..go find any club that can match yer wages now mate!
Maybe just maybe football, to survive will have to remember us supporters and remember its roots and the fact that many supporters have lost jobs and wont be able to afford the old prices to attend anyway....so what are you gonna do to help that scenarion clubs?.

Well you've got supporters Greavsie - the head of the German FA Fritz Keller wants both agents fees and player salaries capped, as he believes these rising costs 'alienate society' - I have to be honest I pissed myself laughing as this is the man who once said the Bayern Munichs; financial dominance and hence their stranglehold on the Bundesliga meant that they could compete at a European level and should never be put in jeopardy! _ amazing how many hypocrites are crawling out the wood work now in Europe....

agents aren't leeches; their job is to look after their client(s) to the maximum of their ability - they only get what they get because of the inherent weaknesses in the system and the lack of a backbone in most of the people who run clubs...Levy has always tried to run a balanced business, yet we all love to rip him to shreds at every opportunity we get, because he won't overpay or won't buy if the value isn't there!!

Last edited:
agents aren't leeches; their job is to look after their client(s) to the maximum of their ability - they only get what hey get because of the inherent weaknesses in the system and the lack of a backbone in most of the people who run clubs...Levy has always tried to run a balanced business, yet we all love to rip him to shreds ay every opportunity we get!!
Not sure that I agree entirely Ex, there are many fans who have always been highly respectful of how Levy has run the Club and what he has achieved, albeit I acknowledge that, in the eyes of many fans, the lack of success on the pitch amounts to him achieving very little. Going forward for the forseeable future, I for one am very pleased that Levy is around to steer the Club through what will be very difficult times. The real question going forward, given that big money transfers are almost certainly a thing of the past, is how good our current squad and academy is relative to other Premiership Clubs, and whether Jose still has what it takes to get the resources available to him, playing to the best of their ability and potential.

Not sure that I agree entirely Ex, there are many fans who have always been highly respectful of how Levy has run the Club and what he has achieved, albeit I acknowledge that, in the eyes of many fans, the lack of success on the pitch amounts to him achieving very little. Going forward for the forseeable future, I for one am very pleased that Levy is around to steer the Club through what will be very difficult times. The real question going forward, given that big money transfers are almost certainly a thing of the past, is how good our current squad and academy is relative to other Premiership Clubs, and whether Jose still has what it takes to get the resources available to him, playing to the best of their ability and potential.

I think I agree with all of that.

I wish I had a better handle on the financial hit we are going to take, but at the moment there is just a very small number of people who will have the right ball park figures; but in my model, even including media revenue should we now finish the season, we'll be looking at around £100 mill hit on revenues., dealing with that, isn't going to be easy - I already know from other sources that cashflow at PL clubs is now critical and most if not all are borrowing to meet short term/immeadiate costs.

I think I agree with all of that.

I wish I had a better handle on the financial hit we are going to take, but at the moment there is just a very small number of people who will have the right ball park figures; but in my model, even including media revenue should we now finish the season, we'll be looking at around £100 mill hit on revenues., dealing with that, isn't going to be easy - I already know from other sources that cashflow at PL clubs is now critical and most if not all are borrowing to meet short term/immeadiate costs.
I assume that those numbers, scary as they are, do not take into account the loss of any European football income next season. I'm sure that all of the planning and financial commitments surrounding the development of the new stadium, would have been entered into on the expectation of participation in European football for some years to come.

I assume that those numbers, scary as they are, do not take into account the loss of any European football income next season. I'm sure that all of the planning and financial commitments surrounding the development of the new stadium, would have been entered into on the expectation of participation in European football for some years to come.

It would be a huge gamble to rely on European football revenue with our team. There has not been enough investment in the squad to remain as serious contenders for top 4. I'm not going to get into why that investment has not been made.

Regarding my comment about agents being leeches...to give a context for my maybe naive statement....

I personally cannot see the value they add unless clubs refuse to speak face to face with players. Yes I know negotiation can be an art form for high earners and can be tricky but most of the rest of the population have to do it for themselves ehatever their salary.

Agents are in fct headhunters and their business is to get the best deal and therefore highest percentage for themselves primarily. Not sure many agents really have the true best interests of thier client in terms of overall package.

It is another indictment of the cancer in the football world IMO.

I guess if the players are not bright and do not have any semblence of negotiating skills then they probably need a third party to do it for them and I guess I am referring to the higher eschelon players in this debate..

If I was a top player, DIY negotiation pour moi, assuming clubs would talk directly to me. Then my stance would be that I want to come to you and will not incur an agents fee.,

By having an agent who touts around for business with clubs to get thier fees, it adds another big expense in the chain of doing transfer business.

So I can save you that so bear it in mind when I negotiate what I desire as a package to come to you!

Most people go for interviews and manage to negotiate a salary for themselves do they not be it they are reasonably marketable in their professions/trades/skills.

Top players certainly cannot say that do not have enough time to do this for themselves.

I just cannot see the value add that such a third party relationshio and link in the transfer business chain gives....but I am not thick (honest) and I trust myself more than a slime bag (oops had to end on a derogatory note didn't I)

They do include that yet, as that hit will probably only be an additional 30 mill or so; the stadium finance forecasting didn't include European football income; it was 'self-supporting' in as much that PL football increased ticket revs and the impressive Food and drink rev's (around £1 mill per game) would effectively cover the long term financing costs.

Regarding my comment about agents being leeches...to give a context for my maybe naive statement....

I personally cannot see the value they add unless clubs refuse to speak face to face with players. Yes I know negotiation can be an art form for high earners and can be tricky but most of the rest of the population have to do it for themselves ehatever their salary.

Agents are in fct headhunters and their business is to get the best deal and therefore highest percentage for themselves primarily. Not sure many agents really have the true best interests of thier client in terms of overall package.

I guess if the players are not bright and do not have any semblence of negotiating skills then they probably need a third party to do it for them and I guess I am referring to the higher eschelon players in this debate..

If I was a top player, DIY negotiation pour moi, assuming clubs would talk directly to me. Then my stance would be that I want to come to you and will not incur an agents fee.,

By having an agent who touts around for business with clubs to get thier fees, it adds another big expense in the chain of doing transfer business.

So I can save you that so bear it in mind when I negotiate what I desire as a package to come to you!

Most people go for interviews and manage to negotiate a salary for themselves do they not be it they are reasonably marketable in their professions/trades/skills.

Top players certainly cannot say that do not have enough time to do this for themselves.

I just cannot see the value add that such a third party relationshio and link in the transfer business chain gives....but I am not thick (honest) and I trust myself more than a slime bag (oops had to end on a derogatory note didn't I)

Sadly Greavsie you assume that top players have the smarts and the know-how - most don't, and it's my experience they they simply can't as character wise they wouldn't have the stomach for it; distract a player with this sort of stress and anxiety and you run the risk of him being distracted where it matters most, in his performance.

There are some very smart, intelligent top players about, but believe me in my opinion they are in the minority, the average level of educational achievement by professional players isn't high.

Today's contracts are legally very heavy and highly detailed, I know of one player in the Championship who has always negotiated his own deals, but stopped last season after comparing his contract with a few of his team mates - he then realised that despite being one of the clubs best players, he'd been royally shafted in many areas.

If you don't have an agent, clubs take the piss.

He doesn't do it anymore and signed for the agency I have a stake in, we managed to improve his current deal by 50%.

It would be a huge gamble to rely on European football revenue with our team. There has not been enough investment in the squad to remain as serious contenders for top 4. I'm not going to get into why that investment has not been made.
Agree NRD. I'm sure however that there will have been an expectation that Europa League football minimum, would be pretty much a given going forward. Ex's recent comments on this subject do however seem to indicate that these incomes are not maybe as significant or essential as I've maybe believed.

Sadly Greavsie you assume that top players have the smarts and the know-how - most don't, and it's my experience they they simply can't as character wise they wouldn't have the stomach for it; distract a player with this sort of stress and anxiety and you run the risk of him being distracted where it matters most, in his performance.

There are some very smart, intelligent top players about, but believe me in my opinion they are in the minority, the average level of educational achievement by professional players isn't high.

Today's contracts are legally very heavy and highly detailed, I know of one player in the Championship who has always negotiated his own deals, but stopped last season after comparing his contract with a few of his team mates - he then realised that despite being one of the clubs best players, he'd been royally shafted in many areas.

If you don't have an agent, clubs take the piss.

He doesn't do it anymore and signed for the agency I have a stake in, we managed to improve his current deal by 50%.[/QUOTE

To be honest I thought that is the case. Seems an employment lawyer not an agent is a better way to spend their dosh...

i knew that was the case EX.....employment lawyers are useful though to go through contracts, doubt many agents are also trained lawyers.

more and more are; there are many sports agents who are lawyers vying for their business now. The one I hold a stake in is.

Employment lawyers are useful for interpreting the law, but few have the commercial skills needed, most lawyers in the sports agency business have a commercial contracts background.

You'll no doubt be aware that Spurs have a lawyer in charge of all non-pitch footballing matters - we've had to evolve or risk getting caught by some very smart but ultimately sharp sports lawyers!

To be honest, as painful as this would be for so many people; football has evolved in a bubble - it is now surreal in terms of it's disconnect from financial reality - I genuinely never thought that there were so many stupid rich businessmen around to keep fueling it's lunacy - so if now we had a run of the badly run clubs going under, I would applaud it - it's probable the only path back from financial madness.
Spot on.

Pretty simple really eh!

Manures revenues down near 20% third financial quarter (Q1 this year -as you might expect) loss of £3.3 million, this quarter expects that to be much bigger, also said he expects PL to return in June and Europa in August and all commitments to games behind closed doors to be met. Guidance towards a full year loss, but say they can sustain it.

debt rose £127 million in one quarter!

Last edited: