Planning for end of season | Vital Football

Planning for end of season

Spursex

Alert Team
As I said a fw weeks back, all palnning was going int a short sharp period to get the league finished:
Coronavirus: Premier League clubs committed to completing season

By Laura Scott

BBC Sport

Premier League football has been suspended since 13 March
Finishing the season in a 40-day window was one of the scenarios discussed at a Premier League meeting on Friday.
Top-flight clubs remain committed to playing all 92 remaining fixtures this season but did not discuss a deadline by which action must resume.
Clubs were expected to debate a 30 June deadline to end the season but instead discussed "possible scheduling models".
The Premier League said it "remains our objective" to complete matches but currently "all dates are tentative".
The league has been suspended since 13 March because of coronavirus.
It is understood some clubs expected to discuss the proposed 30 June deadline at Friday's meeting but it was decided this was not the right time to do so.
A Premier League spokesperson said "in common with other businesses and industries" clubs were "working through complex planning scenarios".
"Today's shareholders' meeting provided an opportunity to discuss possible scheduling models," it added.
"It remains our objective to complete the 2019-20 season but at this stage all dates are tentative while the impact of Covid-19 develops."
Sixteen of the 20 Premier League teams have nine games to play, with four having 10 left.
Earlier this month the Premier League said play will only resume when "it is safe and appropriate to do so". The number of coronavirus-related deaths in the UK has since risen to more than 12,000.
On Thursday, the government issued a further three-week lockdown to ensure social distancing and manage the spread of the virus.
BBC sports editor Dan Roan has learned Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden spoke to Premier League bosses this week and signalled the government was content for them to start contingency planning.
But nothing will be taken forward without the green light from the government, in accordance with medical advice.
In a section on player welfare at the meeting, it was decided tests for coronavirus would have to be widely available to the public before the widespread testing of players.
When and how football resumes has been widely debated across the sport as clubs face up to financial difficulties and the logistical issues caused by a late finish to the season.
The contracts of numerous players expire on 30 June, including those of Chelsea midfielder Willian and Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen.
If the season is extended beyond that date there is a possibility clubs will lose players before fixtures are concluded.
World governing body Fifa is aware of the problem and is looking at alternatives such as rolling contract extensions.
The 30 June date is also an issue for clubs around agreed changes in kit manufacturers. Liverpool are due to change shirt manufacturers from New Balance to Nike, while Watford and Newcastle are also set to use new suppliers.
In a BBC Sport vote on how the season should be dealt with 39% of respondents wanted to 'declare the season null and void', with 28% opting to 'finish the season no matter how long it takes'.
Uefa has pleaded for leagues to give them time to return with their own proposals for ending the season across Europe.
European football's governing body will meet next week to further discuss plans which include potentially using the Champions League final to end the 2019-20 season on 29 August.
Lower down the football pyramid in England, the EFL has sent a letter to clubs recommending they return to training on 16 May at the earliest.
The EFL has not discussed a league restart date with the government but told clubs: "Our planning needs to be agile enough to allow us to be as prepared as possible for a start at relatively short notice."
1587164848632.gif
'Eight weeks enough to complete season'
BBC Sport's Simon Stone
In the end, the 30 June deadline demand some were so keen to push earlier in the week was never raised.
The feeling that today's meeting was not the right time to widen the debate and the Premier League desire for a united front was strong enough to dissuade a discussion that would have extended the chat, which was wrapped up in under two hours.
Individual clubs will go away to continue discussions with players about wage cuts and deferrals and wait to see what comes out of two Uefa meetings next week.
Before their next scheduled meeting on 1 May, lessons should also be absorbed from Germany.
Some Bundesliga players have already returned to their clubs for training under social distancing rules - getting changed at home and returning to shower after picking up some food.
A Bundesliga meeting on Thursday will offer guidance on if and when this can be stepped up following the revised regulations announced by German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Wednesday.
It will start to offer the Premier League some kind of clarity over the major discussions today, which centred around different start and end dates to play the remainder of the 2019-20 campaign.
At the moment, it is felt eight weeks will be enough from returning to training in order to regain match fitness and play nine rounds of games to complete the season.
Germany's experience will help frame whether that prospect is a realistic one.
In the meantime, as has been the case since matches were first called off five weeks ago, the only certainty is uncertainty.

What is a little bit frustrating for Jose is that the Lodge is such a perfect venue but not being leveraged. If he had the COVID testing facilities on the way in / way out he could have his squad together right now and have them safely isolated. They'd all be locked down together.

With our football hat on, that could be transformational for this current squad. He'd be able to fully assess Kane, Son and Sissoko and have someone like Ndombele in tip-top shape. He'd have all their fitness levels up and his philosophies instilled.

So players would have to live at work, never leave, never have family visiting etc. I think that's taking the importance of football far to great versus allowing players to have a life outside of the game. Let them live their lives in self isolation with their families and go back to commuting to work when safe to do so.

Without clear planning for next season, it's not a plan, just a mess.

Let's assume that this season is concluded, they need to discuss the framework for next season, and that's not going to be easy without the international bodies and other European leagues.

With current public policy, it looks like we will have another lockdown, so we would have to make sure we play as many league games early on to allow flexibility later.

What will the international schedule look like? Will we have to start World Cup qualifications? Can we reduce domestic games by eliminating League Cup and removing FA cup rematches?

I still don't think it's sunk in with them yet that football , like every other contact sport is history.

There are too many ' experts ' saying that until a vaccine is discovered ( that would be never then judging by the standard of expertise they've brought to the party so far ) social distancing measures will have to remain in place.

I still don't think it's sunk in with them yet that football , like every other contact sport is history.

There are too many ' experts ' saying that until a vaccine is discovered ( that would be never then judging by the standard of expertise they've brought to the party so far ) social distancing measures will have to remain in place.
Agree one hundred percent. Much as we may crave the return of live sport, hundreds of people are still dying of this terrible illness every day, and absolutely nothing should be allowed to detract from the efforts that governments and populations all over the world are making to try and restore some sort of sanity, in what still remains an alarming scenario. A Premiership six yard box whilst defending a corner is probably the worst form of social distancing that could ever be encountered.

Agree one hundred percent. Much as we may crave the return of live sport, hundreds of people are still dying of this terrible illness every day, and absolutely nothing should be allowed to detract from the efforts that governments and populations all over the world are making to try and restore some sort of sanity, in what still remains an alarming scenario. A Premiership six yard box whilst defending a corner is probably the worst form of social distancing that could ever be encountered.
How would refs be able to blow a whistle with a mask on !
who would be the first player to be given offside by VAR because of the pointy bit of his mask was clearly 30 mm in front of his opponent ! .

Must admit, I'm proper old school. If I had a say in anything, domestic football wouldn't be allowed to touch the months of May to August in any year. Mandatory 4 months rest and a chance for other sports to get some attention. A complete rest from the politics, the prima-donnas, the fat cats etc.

That's my time to sit down and enjoy some cricket, golf etc and never see Carragher's ugly mug talking absolute nonsense.

Just an idea.... Maybe if the football world changes to stopping having seasons split over two calendar years, that would give us plenty of time to finish this year and get some internationals in before next season starts in March.

The game is better played on spring, summer and autumn pitches, all players could be off over the winter and most are rich enough to jet anywhere during winter months for their breaks. We could have tournaments either during a mid season break in those years, or if it was held anywhere in the Southern hemisphere, then they could be held in January and February on those years.

We have changed the construct, regularity of matches, rules and structure before, why not now?

Just an idea.... Maybe if the football world changes to stopping having seasons split over two calendar years, that would give us plenty of time to finish this year and get some internationals in before next season starts in March.

The game is better played on spring, summer and autumn pitches, all players could be off over the winter and most are rich enough to jet anywhere during winter months for their breaks. We could have tournaments either during a mid season break in those years, or if it was held anywhere in the Southern hemisphere, then they could be held in January and February on those years.

We have changed the construct, regularity of matches, rules and structure before, why not now?

I totally agree, I've made this exact point in the past, but unless we can find a way past the traditionalists - especially the 'let's flog all players to death over xmas and new year' ones, it just won't fly.

Coronavirus: Football must think creatively in response to pandemic, says Fleetwood chairman

_111866623_whatsubject.jpg

Andy Pilley has presided over Fleetwood's rise through the football leagues to League One
Football in England must think creatively or risk dire consequences, including civil war within clubs, says Fleetwood chairman Andy Pilley.
With football suspended as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, there is concern about the ability of clubs, especially in the lower leagues, to survive financially.
"I don’t think anything is off the table. We have to evolve," Pilley told BBC Radio 5 Live. "Football has to think creatively and be inventive here, otherwise we run a real risk."
He added: "We are stuck in our ways and have become very traditional, be it with dates or certain rules continuing because they always have done.
"But what is important here? It is not who achieves sporting success this year but having a healthy, long-term sustainable football pyramid.
"Our game is admired across the world and it is in a critical situation. We must find a way to save it.
"If it means pressing the reset button then that is what we must do because we don’t want to end up with another Bury or Macclesfield or Bolton situation."
Pilley's short-term hope is for a financial rescue package from either the Premier League, Professional Footballers' Association or borrowed against future income.
But his longer-term suggestions would prompt greater change to the structure of the English game.
“If there is to be a rescue package one of the knock-on effects is that there should be a covenant and within that there needs to be a salary cap so football becomes sustainable in the lower leagues so we can focus on football and not points deductions," he continued.
“It is worth considering a regionalised League One and League Two.
"Much as I like Gillingham, I don’t like going there on a Tuesday night, or Portsmouth on a Tuesday night. It makes no sense."
Wage deferrals by players continues to be an issue during the coronavirus pandemic, with the English Football League and Professional Footballers' Association proposing that clubs defer up to 25% of players' wages in April.
However, this is only a recommendation and Pilley believes it could spark a potential row within clubs.
"I don’t know if people understand the severity of the situation," he said. "There is a standoff brewing between owners and players that is not good for the game.
"Some owners I speak to are for not paying wages or significantly reduced ones and players will not like that.
"We don’t want civil war within our clubs, we want healthy completion that is the envy of the world."
Like the Premier League, the English Football League is committed to finishing the campaign once it is safe to do so following the pandemic, and have said it will take them 56 days to complete the nine rounds of matches across their three divisions, plus play-offs.
Pilley is adamant that this season should be finished for financial and integrity reasons, even if that means playing games behind closed doors.
“For the greater good, we have to finish the season. We have signed up to a broadcasting and sponsorship deal and we don’t know the consequences if we break that deal. The prospect of that is hideous, not just for the EFL but for the PL as well.
“We also have to finish it for the integrity of the competition. There are clubs mid-table saying ‘why should we finish it?’.
“Well, the reason is that they have already received money to compete in this league and we might only have 20% back, but I’m sure they won’t be keen on giving that backup the PL or Sky if we didn’t finish.
“What disappoints me is there is an element of self-preservation and people having their own agenda. It is a pretty duff hand but we have to play the one we have been dealt.”
To offset the loss of match day revenue, Pilley feels streaming games is the answer.
“Streaming has got to come into play. Let’s face it, the content on television right now is somewhat exhausted. It will be somewhat surreal but these are extraordinary circumstances and if you love your football club you’ll tune in and watch. I think that will help.”

Makes a lot of sense. Not sure that the cricketing hierarchy would be too keen on it though.

I totally agree, I've made this exact point in the past, but unless we can find a way past the traditionalists - especially the 'let's flog all players to death over xmas and new year' ones, it just won't fly.

Well I'm a traditionalist. I never wanted a Premier League with 20 teams in it. I'd cut it to 16 in an instant and as I've said before I'd have England, Scotland and Wales playing in one integrated structure. Centralised at the top and regionalised on the way down to grass roots. I would even have an abridged season coming up to get to a new structure within a year and use this sabbatical to build it out.

One thing I am OK with is changing the phasing though. It doesn't have to be Aug-May. I think it would be a treat to have the season climax in the build up to Xmas and all the big showpiece games during the festivities. My reduction of 8 league games leaves the summer protected for the other sports.

Won't happen because the TV companies own football now.