Plan A B or C | Vital Football

Plan A B or C

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
Poch has drawn some flak for not having a plan B either starting or mid game.

We have a variation now in formation to start. Due to the versatile nature of some of our players he may have more options now. With Rose and Lamela back even more.

The Sissoko experiment in the middle is food for thought for Poch and we have Winks still to get back sharp. Edwards may provide even more options.

Our depth is now better which will reflect in our bench.

I may have to revise my predicted finish especially if we start performing at Wembley.

I think we have multiple formations available and we switch in game. There's the standard 4-2-3-1 with Dier sometimes dropping to turn it into 3 CB formation.

Our much favoured 3-4-2-1 which we employed most of the 2nd half of last season

Then Koeman described us as having a diamond formation behind Kane against Everton , a sort of 3-3-2-1-1...

And that's before we even consider what Llorente and some hoofing gives us... a plan D?

Still lacking that pacey dribbler who will drive right at defenders that Poch clearly wants but I think we're well stocked for different options when our best players are fit.

freundorfoe - 11/9/2017 23:36

I think we have multiple formations available and we switch in game. There's the standard 4-2-3-1 with Dier sometimes dropping to turn it into 3 CB formation.

Our much favoured 3-4-2-1 which we employed most of the 2nd half of last season

Then Koeman described us as having a diamond formation behind Kane against Everton , a sort of 3-3-2-1-1...

And that's before we even consider what Llorente and some hoofing gives us... a plan D?

Still lacking that pacey dribbler who will drive right at defenders that Poch clearly wants but I think we're well stocked for different options when our best players are fit.

A key part of Poch's 'philosophy' is match fluidity irrespective of the tactical starting line up.

Opposition scouts will tell you again and again that the issue for an opponent is our often perpetual movement; we're geared to seeking out the spaces as soon as they appear, it's embedded and repeated again and again in training and it shows in our approach to games.

Each player has a play book on defence and attack and what their role is, where they're expected to be and what to do in transition i.e. the counter press - these 360 degree responsibilities is the heavy lifting that was and is 'trained in' to each new addition - and perhaps the key reason why some new additions take so long to adjust - it's a total see-change from Harry's day i.e. run about a bit and counter by quick forward passing and different again from AVB's dire 'take no risks' game - play. each have subtle differnces.

The weakness for me in Poch's tactical set-up and game management is when we come against good teams who either match us and are better or who can sit, hold an smother then have fast break outs and counters.

If we need a plan b (beyond wide wing play and crosses into Llorente which will be a combo of N'koudo/Tripper and Eriksen being brought into play off him) it's the absolute need for us to sit deeper, absorb, frustrate and have quick counters of our own where we haven't called Kane deep (or whatever attacking formation we go with) and hold our nerve with two on the half way line ready to commit their CB's and break fast and score on the counter.

If the new additions help give us that option; which I think it will - then we'll truely be able to see a diiferent approach when we have to start against potentially better teams.

Not sure spurs are any deeper as a squad than last season, spurs let go of 5 squad players and replaced them with 3. 3 at the back looks good at the moment but an injury to any of the CB's cause's a big problem to this squad at the moment. Vs Everton Spurs only had 18 players available with PL exp. Ali's suspension means spurs will have to put an academy player on the bench. Fingers crossed spurs don't pick up any injuries or suspensions.

Palmover - 12/9/2017 14:04

Not sure spurs are any deeper as a squad than last season, spurs let go of 5 squad players and replaced them with 3. 3 at the back looks good at the moment but an injury to any of the CB's cause's a big problem to this squad at the moment. Vs Everton Spurs only had 18 players available with PL exp. Ali's suspension means spurs will have to put an academy player on the bench. Fingers crossed spurs don't pick up any injuries or suspensions.

I'd say we look (on paper) better balanced this season; injuries not withstanding we know both Davies and Dier can play at CB, as can Aurier and obviously Sanchez.

I think it was a good window, but not quite a great one, but it may yet be if all perform and of course we can get all the walking wounded back.

Palmover - 12/9/2017 14:04

Fair point but of the 5 we lost only Walker was really an effective squad member under Poch and the 3 we've added look far more likely to get minutes than the rest. Quality over quantity window which I'm all for, rather have 1 player that actually plays than 3 that don't.

Glad Son played, as he gave us that bit of pace in the final third of the pitch when we hit them on the break. The rest struggled to keep up with him for his goal. Probably why he went for glory.

We will learn more about the team against the better teams. We will have to adapt our game which we did very well tonight.

Real Deal - 13/9/2017 22:08

Glad Son played, as he gave us that bit of pace in the final third of the pitch when we hit them on the break. The rest struggled to keep up with him for his goal. Probably why he went for glory.

We will learn more about the team against the better teams. We will have to adapt our game which we did very well tonight.

Son was a good outlet to have with his pace but my god is he wasteful, I think we played the perfect game tonight although we did ride our luck, we usually don't get the luck so made a change! I'd like to think Poch played this way deliberately but I'm not so sure, did you see his reaction when we went 2-1 up after they had been all over us, he didn't look happy. His reaction seemed to me like he wasn't happy that we were getting completed dominated, hopefully I'm wrong and he played a masterclass though lol

ScottDaYid - 13/9/2017 23:04

Real Deal - 13/9/2017 22:08

Son was a good outlet to have with his pace but my god is he wasteful, I think we played the perfect game tonight although we did ride our luck, we usually don't get the luck so made a change! I'd like to think Poch played this way deliberately but I'm not so sure, did you see his reaction when we went 2-1 up after they had been all over us, he didn't look happy. His reaction seemed to me like he wasn't happy that we were getting completed dominated, hopefully I'm wrong and he played a masterclass though lol

was having a similar discussion with a friend - I thought we deliberately let them have the ball and come onto us to avoid being caught on the break by Aubameyang but he thought maybe they just dominated possession as they were better with the ball.

Spursex - 12/9/2017 03:42

If we need a plan b (beyond wide wing play and crosses into Llorente which will be a combo of N'koudo/Tripper and Eriksen being brought into play off him) it's the absolute need for us to sit deeper, absorb, frustrate and have quick counters of our own where we haven't called Kane deep (or whatever attacking formation we go with) and hold our nerve with two on the half way line ready to commit their CB's and break fast and score on the counter.

If the new additions help give us that option; which I think it will - then we'll truely be able to see a diiferent approach when we have to start against potentially better teams.

Rather prescient I must say.

xvausch - 14/9/2017 02:43

Ex must feel pretty smug about this one.

Nick Real Deal - 14/9/2017 06:42

xvausch - 14/9/2017 02:43

Ex must feel pretty smug about this one.

Not really, but it does feel good to call it right, I just think it's something we had to get to grips with if we were to grow up and truly be taken seriously as a very good side. It's been (for me at least) a glaring weakness in our game management - so if I could see it, I'm pretty sure Poch and others could.

As we thought, flexibility and the need to play something other than the 'pressing' game must have been at the forefront of his mind when we signed who we did and who we'll sign next..

From today's press conference:

Jourmalist: "Have you worked on not pressing all the time and showing variation?"

Poch: "The variation is very good because I think we are so flexible to play and change during the game or from one game to another.

To have the possibility to modify the way you play and have different options is very important.

Today we are in an era where all the clubs try to find different ways to play using different set-ups.

The most important is to be able to surprise the opponent, always respecting your philosophy, but to be flexible is a very good quality.

Our squad is very flexible and we can adapt everyone in a different way of playing..."

My guess is that BvB arrived expecting The Pocchetino Smother vs Gegen Pressing v3.0

I believe he successfully surprised his opponent. And this is good.

I dont understand why we play with 5 at the back and a holding midfielder against teams that park the bus.

3 league games at Wembley and no win with the same formations, time to change it surely.