PL Rule Changes? | Page 2 | Vital Football

PL Rule Changes?

But wasn't VAR supposed to not interfere with offsides, short of taking a quick gander to make sure the lino hadn't erred in a build up to a goal?

As I said the view they show us is not parallel to the pitch therefore not a true view.
The shots I saw of the Mane offside for Liverpool the ball wasn't even in the pictures. How does that work?
It's still subjective and it's something that shouldn't be subjective. It's ruining football and now it's effecting Livarpool it might get changes
That’s the part for me that does my head in. They’re trying to make it a perfect science, yet the laws of the game state “when the ball is kicked.” That in itself is a subjective statement. Is it when the players boot first makes contact with the ball, or when the ball starts moving forward, or when the ball actually releases physical contact from the player’s boot?
Also a few years back the powers in the game said that the benefit of doubt should be with the attacking team and that there had to be “daylight” between defender and attacker to be considered offside. Where did that get lost in these new VAR calls???

That's something we don't know but we assume it the same, I certainly don't see a camera running along the line parallel to the pitch. Or one above doing a plan view .

I could be wrong, but I swear on Friday night there was some sort of zip line hanging from the Witton Lane Stand with a camera on it. That may just be because it was the main Sky game for the day though - no idea if it was for VAR purposes

Yeah, this is the trouble, any way they do it, it will still be argued over. 5cm, 10cm, a bit of daylight between them, give the striker the benefit of the doubt (as was the instruction at one point)

End of the day, we want entertainment and goals, not fecking graphs to see if it is or isn't going to be given.
At the end of the day it just makes you realise what a wonderful system we had when the linesman gave it, right or wrong, we all moaned and moved on.
It was instant, we all accepted it and that was that.

The Telegraph paywall has been suspended until tomorrow so thought this was worth posting and well worth a read. Sam Wallace is an excellent writer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...behind-178-law-changes-footballs-contentious/

One might argue that football’s laws functioned quite well for 153 years until Elleray’s interventions, and yet his appetite for change has been quite something to behold. What is he up to? No-one can quite say for sure and he did not respond to requests to comment this week.

David Elleray. Dearie me. Explains a LOT about the mess we are in re handball, offside, etc. One of the worst referees in living memory, perhaps second only to Phil Dowd. What a twat.

The Telegraph paywall has been suspended until tomorrow so thought this was worth posting and well worth a read. Sam Wallace is an excellent writer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...behind-178-law-changes-footballs-contentious/

One might argue that football’s laws functioned quite well for 153 years until Elleray’s interventions, and yet his appetite for change has been quite something to behold. What is he up to? No-one can quite say for sure and he did not respond to requests to comment this week.

David Elleray. Dearie me. Explains a LOT about the mess we are in re handball, offside, etc. One of the worst referees in living memory, perhaps second only to Phil Dowd. What a twat.

I can remember the twat giving a penalty against us I think it was at West Ham when it bounced off one of our players backs.

Was it Ellery who celebrated allowing Spurs to play on and score? Made himself look a proper prat.

Isn't interesting how there always seems to be matching pairs. Elleray and Mike Dean, easy to confuse the two. Same with Dowd and John Moss, Oliver and Clattenberg, Stevie Wonder and All of Them.

Yes, sorry, you're right. They all blend in with each other.

They shouldn't even tell you the refs name, but now it's a big deal and they have become stars in their own right .
They should only be referred to as the ref on tv or the Count in black in the stands.
Nobody should know their names or even care who they are.
Back in the '70s, you wouldn't even know who the ref was it was just a name in the programme

They shouldn't even tell you the refs name, but now it's a big deal and they have become stars in their own right .
They should only be referred to as the ref on tv or the Count in black in the stands.
Nobody should know their names or even care who they are.
Back in the '70s, you wouldn't even know who the ref was it was just a name in the programme

Except Clive Thomas.

Now there was a prat.

I think Howard Webb was awful. For some reason he was considered one of the best. He allowed Nigel De Jong to assault Xabi Alonso in a World Cup final and was applauded for not sending him off. Strange

I think Howard Webb was awful. For some reason he was considered one of the best. He allowed Nigel De Jong to assault Xabi Alonso in a World Cup final and was applauded for not sending him off. Strange

Howard Webb was a police officer for the alleged corrupt South Yorkshire Police. Makes you wonder doesn't it.