Pitch | Vital Football

Pitch

NickDay85

Vital Youth Team
Did anyone else think the pitch was awful yesterday?

I know Scally has since said that the rain caused difficulties but taking that out of account, to me, it looked quite long and in places quite bumpy. Almost as if it had been cut unevenly. The players were leaving footprints in it, almost like walking on the beach.

Im glad someone else thought this as I saw the exact same thing whilst watching on ifollow.

Granted we played really well but the pitch did look slow (compared to Accrington) which hopefully wont cause us issues in the future - especially with a new pacy exciting play.

Seemed the passes had to be hit a little harder and noticed a few times the ball was getting stuck under our players feet when dribbling at speed.

Nickday and Bluewatch you are both bang on. That pitch is awful.
It looks lovely from the stand. However when you stand on it your feet sink in. There were 4 significant injuries yesterday 3 for Burton and Dean Parrot for us, who will likely be out for 3 - 6 weeks. The Burton winger twisted his knee as Parker turned inside him. His studs were stuck in the sodden turf. Yes we all know a heavy rainfall occurred the day before but the pitch should have dealt with it better than that. Especially as it was the first game played on it since the end of last season. No game prior to yesterday had been played on it.
My worry is two fold ;
1. How many more injuries will it cause over the next few months up till xmas.
2. How will it effect the new look faster attacking game.
Very few over hit balls ran out of play yesterday compared with normal.
I feel this could ruin our potential home form this season

By the way - yesterday was an incredible performance given the state of the pitch and well done to every single player out there who put a great shift in.

I think they have let the grass grow a bit longer due to the heatwave we have been having. Then the deluge of rain. You could definitely notice the grass was longer than usual making for a slow roll of the ball.

Its not the length of the grass ME7 although I agree with your thought. Its when you plant your foot and you sink into it like quicksand and it started to cut up.

Considering only players and officials are allowed on the pitch, how did you manage to get to stroll on it to discover your feet was sinking?

I noticed on one of the advertising hoardings yesterday that matchday mascot packages start from just £240
:eek!:

Nickday and Bluewatch you are both bang on. That pitch is awful.
It looks lovely from the stand. However when you stand on it your feet sink in. There were 4 significant injuries yesterday 3 for Burton and Dean Parrot for us, who will likely be out for 3 - 6 weeks. The Burton winger twisted his knee as Parker turned inside him. His studs were stuck in the sodden turf. Yes we all know a heavy rainfall occurred the day before but the pitch should have dealt with it better than that. Especially as it was the first game played on it since the end of last season. No game prior to yesterday had been played on it.
My worry is two fold ;
1. How many more injuries will it cause over the next few months up till xmas.
2. How will it effect the new look faster attacking game.
Very few over hit balls ran out of play yesterday compared with normal.
I feel this could ruin our potential home form this season

As we've discussed before nothing will change until we sort the drainage out on the pitch, and that ain't happening anytime soon, unless we get it sorted for Xmas.

Was the pitch not relaid over the summer? If not, then why were there no home friendlies arranged? We noticed the pitch looked very cut up in the middle, just from the warm up.

Grass will have been kept long during drought period but the torrential rain will have prevented the groundsman from cutting the grass on Friday and the morning of the match which is the normal practice. PDS has stated further rain on Saturday could have led to a postponement and I noted the pitch wasn’t watered prior or at half time in the game
The local cricket ground where I live had two massive puddles on it on Saturday morning and the groundsman was trying to disperse it to allow play as an example of the amount of rain had fallen both on Friday and in the last week

I noticed on one of the advertising hoardings yesterday that matchday mascot packages start from just £240
:eek!:
I knkw its not the point, but for the record, the mascot package is about 150 If you have a season ticket. Given it includes a full kit (50 quid), 4x adults match tickets in the medway stand which are worth 90-100 quid themselves (in addition to your st), and a free meal voucher for the mascot too, and of course the most imortant bit, a full day of meeting the players and your of the stadium, its an incredible bargain in our eyes. Have done it two years in a row for my 10 year old for his bday. He loves it.