Pissing about in defence | Vital Football

Pissing about in defence

poolfc

Vital Youth Team
Guardiola brainwashes Klopp
Klopp brainwashes Critchley
Critchley brainwashes Dunn

This happens today...

Keep it simple lads, you're lower leagues!

Last edited:
Correct ar our level the important thing being is to keep it out of our net and into theirs...

Last edited:
wasnt it Evo that got them passing it about.

talking of, how many of our old boys will end at horwich. playing yesterday..Gilks, Baps and the Fonz

Normally like to root for whoever is playing Horwich but yesterday threw up a dilemma as the game was Evo v Wellens.

wasnt it Evo that got them passing it about.

talking of, how many of our old boys will end at horwich. playing yesterday..Gilks, Baps and the Fonz

Think it was. Don't know if its caught Bolton out yet by conceding from it but seen a few complaints about Baptiste. Looked OK the other night though.

Just don't get these teams passing around at the back before either launching it anyway or ending up closed down and dropping a clanger. Why take the risk for not a lot of reward.

Whilst the goal conceded yesterday wasn't as a result of pi ssing around in defence it was yet again another goal conceded from a corner.
I've put 3 pics up below showing the starting position of our defence as they are awaiting the corner and the second pic shows the position of players as delivery is taken and the third is as their player headed it in.
1.jpg

The player ringed is the goal scorer.
For me the positional set up of all of our team in defence is at fault here. We had the full team back defending the corner, yet we conceded yet another goal from a corner.

Our defence is clearly adopting zonal marking. There are 2 opposition players in our 6 yd box unmarked, despite us having 5 outfield players in the same 6yd box.

The eventual goalscorer is not picked up before he starts a free, unchallenged 12 yd run before he heads the ball in to our goal.
2.jpg

If you look at the second pic as the corner has been taken there are 2 of our players inside the box who have done absolutely nothing to assist in defending the corner, Hamilton and Woodburn.

The third pic shows a number of Pool players stood literally on their own - no doubt the coaches will say they are marking their zone, but if players aren't picked up we are literally as our players to beat a man who has momentum from, in this instance, a 12 yd run up to the ball from a standing jump. There will always only ever be 1 winner in these cases.

As it turned out, and shown in the pic below the goal scorer ended up unchallenged and allowed a free header within our 6yd box.
3.jpg

Other than Marv blocking off their big no 5 I cannot see a single Pool player doing anything proactive to defend the corner.
Maxwell is rooted to his line, Woodburn, Hamilton and a number of others are, as I mentioned before are watching no-one but fresh air.

The number of goals we have already conceded from corners is worrying. The manager and coaches need to review this zonal marking for corners, do we have a specific defence coach?

If we can see it is a weakness, I have no doubt other teams will have too.

I hate zonal marking. It's a system that takes ages to get right, and even then I don't think it's that great.

I'm still amazed that teams don't leave 3 players forward for defensive corners. Would mean the opposition have to leave at least 3 back and really dilute their attacking threat.

I'm still amazed that teams don't leave 3 players forward for defensive corners. Would mean the opposition have to leave at least 3 back and really dilute their attacking threat.

At least 4.
Add the keeper and the corner taker that leaves only 5 players maximum in our box for which we have 7 outfield players and a keeper to defend against.
It's a no brainer to me too.

Never been a big fan of zonal marking and it nearly cost us yesterday. It was a cheap goal to give away thankfully we recovered and got the win our performance deserved.

Interesting to look at it broken down like that above. I just saw it as their biggest lad getting a free header but being allowed a clear run at it as well is a shambles.

The squad, despite all the changes, has only been good for 12 goals in 12 games so far and a -3 goal diff. And there's no backup for two strikers in a 4-4-2 because they weren't recruiting for that in the summer. I don't know what they were trying for really but they can't afford any more 4-1 defeats if they're not capable of dishing out any themselves. So there's more pressure on the defence to keep it simple and organised.

Can't find a clip of when Peterborough were messing about at the back and the keeper passed to Madine but I was hoping it would end in a goal to post it on this thread.

I thought I had captured that clip, but just looked through and I hadn't.
Yates puts defenders under pressure. I like his starting position, he turns his body and it gives him a good standing start.
I worry about the forwards. An injury to either will scupper the progress being made.
Hardie will never pull the shirt on again, and Nuttall will be remembered fr that goal v Ipshit and being a new version of Tony Diamond in terms of misplaced promise and excitement.
Talking of chasing down playing from the back I thought Maxwell seemed slow and wanting that extra touch yesterday before kicking and almost got caught on 2 occassions.

I thought I had captured that clip, but just looked through and I hadn't.
Yates puts defenders under pressure. I like his starting position, he turns his body and it gives him a good standing start.
I worry about the forwards. An injury to either will scupper the progress being made.
Hardie will never pull the shirt on again, and Nuttall will be remembered fr that goal v Ipshit and being a new version of Tony Diamond in terms of misplaced promise and excitement.
Talking of chasing down playing from the back I thought Maxwell seemed slow and wanting that extra touch yesterday before kicking and almost got caught on 2 occassions.

I'd almost be intrigued to see how it would go if we started rotating Kemp/Lubala back into the side.

Whilst we have started scoring goals, which is clearly a good thing, the biggest change(s) are that we've got proper CBs playing in defence and a clear upgrade in midfield in the form of Dougall. Both of those just mean we look so much more solid and organised I think we could manage with a bit more headless chicken up front.

I’ve nothing to add to this thread I just love the title though 😂

It's like a pandemic in itself.

Muppet Reading keeper trying to do a one-two off the chest of a Bournemouth striker yesterday

1.jpg
Their first goal was crucial last night and to come so soon after the commencement of the half gave them some momentum, and yet again it originated from a corner.

The case for the defence this time is erring on a linesman error. The ball is about to be played back in and you can clearly see the pivotal donny player standing a couple of yards offside before the ball played back in.

Worryingly and yet again there are 5 opposition players in the box following a corner all in space and all unmarked.

2.jpg
The same donny player - number 9 is in another offside position before the second ball comes in. He has surely got to be interfering with Maxwell? certainly being so close he is in the line of sight. This time there are 6 donny players in our box and all unmarked and in acres of space.
03.jpg
This last pic is just as their player is about to strike the ball for their first goal.
6 players still unmarked and 1 on the edge of the box in acres of space to pick up any scraps. The ball goes through/past 3 defenders all trying to block the shot. If we were tighter to players at corners getting a shot off is a lot harder. As you can see from this pic though their player to the left of our goal as you look at the pic is still in an offside position.

If you watch the video they all look to the liner as they score which tells you something, however despite the mistakes from officials we can prevent giving away sloppy goals from corners. Last night their first was the catalyst for our throwing away of 3 points.

On a separate note how poor was that ref last night?
I thought Dougall got the ball for their pen but sliding in from behind is always dodgy and in our own box gave the ref an easy cop out.
That handball in injury time was shocking though and that's when the liners need to do their job.For all the criticism of VAR if we had it last night the result could have been a little different.

Last edited: