Pirates vs. Drunken Sailors | Page 6 | Vital Football

Pirates vs. Drunken Sailors

Massive win that,absolutely delighted! You can't beat a last minute winner! Those scenes at the end were fantastic and I went ballistic myself.That win is so important to keep spirits up and the belief going that we can still stay up.

Thought it was an even game,in difficult windy conditions,with Rovers looking the more likely after their goal.But we've been on the wrong end of many other close games this season and combine that with all the shit we've been through this past 8 months,we've deserved that moment of euphoria tonight!

Thought Ojo was brilliant tonight. Obviously a special mention to Wootton as well for that finish and he made a few crucial blocks as well.I'd like to see Aasguaad play further up the pitch though.I know we are short in CM,but he's wasted in that deeper role.Maybe Perry,Johnston or Whelan can slot in next to Ojo till Merrie or Evans is fit.

Just 5 points separate the bottom 7 now.All to play for! UTFT!

**Edit 3 points separate the bottom 7.**

Last edited:
Don't want to piss on any chips but it is imperative our takeover is sorted ASAP because all that win did last night was allow us to keep pace with teams that are improving....and I know we are getting better but not at the rate Burton are for example. A change in momentum is needed that can only be achieved by new owners who will probably bring a new manager with them to let Leam be what he naturally wants to be..a # 2. This lack of impetus probably stems from the caretaker boss who just doesn't look like he's in the right position, confidence or personality wise. So sorry if this is a bit downbeat but barring that last gasp goal we would now be rock bottom...and deservedly so.

The good news about the owners can't come quick enough.

Not going to bite at that for one reason, Jones was not at fault for that one, however there were a couple of horendous moments with him that could have led to him being the focus again on here but but brizzel did not capitalise on those cockups

Last night was a great result but a poor performance.

We need to learn the lessons and cut out the crosses which are the cause of our downfall on so many occasions. For most of last night our back line was too narrow allowing Bristol's players the freedom of both wings.

Every ball won in midfield was played out wide to a player standing in acres of space and then shifted into the box to cause mayhem in our defence.

It's no good having two CB's that can deal with 90% of high balls, that means 10% are going to cause problems. We need to cut out the source of those crosses. When we matched up in the latter stages of the game and played 3 CB's with Robinson and Darikwa pushing wider we dealt with the problem at source.

I am not saying that we should be playing 3 at the back consistently but when so many crosses are coming in as was obvious last night we need to adjust earlier and snuff out the problem.

Other than that the conditions were not conducive to playing pretty football and I think we adapted well. Ojo probably had his best game in Latic's colours and showed for every ball. Aasgaard is wasted playing as a defensive midfielder and needs to be further up the pitch were his control and tricky play can cause problems for the opposition and not our backs. I understand why he was played there for as cover for Merrie, but I don't think he is the solution.

Lang looks to be on top form and his goal was typical poachers finish, it was unfortunate that Proctor was injured again as I think him and Lang compliment each other up front and can see them being our way out of this. I think playing him as a No 10 is his best position as he doesn't get the same involvement when playing out wide.

Keane still lacks the control and commitment he showed earlier in the campaign and I wonder if this is the result of the covid. Joe Dodoo worked hard but is not as good as Proctor at holding the ball, he looks like he is the sort of player who works better running onto balls rather than acting as a target man.

Massey looked decent when he came on and looks to be regaining some form. He looks to have bulked out a little and was using his strength to hold up play and bring players on. Johnston inspires confidence in me, he is wholehearted in the tackle and decent in the air and I don't understand how he is not in the starting line up.

To sum up it was a poor performance, mainly caused by the blustery conditions, which made for a very disjointed game for both sides but the last minute winner was a great result for a side that never gave up.

We must continue in that vein if we are to survive.

Last night was a great result but a poor performance.

We need to learn the lessons and cut out the crosses which are the cause of our downfall on so many occasions. For most of last night our back line was too narrow allowing Bristol's players the freedom of both wings.

Every ball won in midfield was played out wide to a player standing in acres of space and then shifted into the box to cause mayhem in our defence.

It's no good having two CB's that can deal with 90% of high balls, that means 10% are going to cause problems. We need to cut out the source of those crosses. When we matched up in the latter stages of the game and played 3 CB's with Robinson and Darikwa pushing wider we dealt with the problem at source.

I am not saying that we should be playing 3 at the back consistently but when so many crosses are coming in as was obvious last night we need to adjust earlier and snuff out the problem.

Other than that the conditions were not conducive to playing pretty football and I think we adapted well. Ojo probably had his best game in Latic's colours and showed for every ball. Aasgaard is wasted playing as a defensive midfielder and needs to be further up the pitch were his control and tricky play can cause problems for the opposition and not our backs. I understand why he was played there for as cover for Merrie, but I don't think he is the solution.

Lang looks to be on top form and his goal was typical poachers finish, it was unfortunate that Proctor was injured again as I think him and Lang compliment each other up front and can see them being our way out of this. I think playing him as a No 10 is his best position as he doesn't get the same involvement when playing out wide.

Keane still lacks the control and commitment he showed earlier in the campaign and I wonder if this is the result of the covid. Joe Dodoo worked hard but is not as good as Proctor at holding the ball, he looks like he is the sort of player who works better running onto balls rather than acting as a target man.

Massey looked decent when he came on and looks to be regaining some form. He looks to have bulked out a little and was using his strength to hold up play and bring players on. Johnston inspires confidence in me, he is wholehearted in the tackle and decent in the air and I don't understand how he is not in the starting line up.

To sum up it was a poor performance, mainly caused by the blustery conditions, which made for a very disjointed game for both sides but the last minute winner was a great result for a side that never gave up.

We must continue in that vein if we are to survive.
I totally agree about Johnston. Very unlucky not to be in the starting eleven.