Piping atmosphere by tannoy | Vital Football

Piping atmosphere by tannoy

89spartans_12/03/77

Vital Squad Member
Back in 1977 Lincoln were playing away at Brighton. Me and a few mates decided to travel down to the game by train as there was little demand amongst our fans for coaches.
The cheapest route at that time was via Birmingham. A very circuitous route but the best way for us schoolboys to afford.
Anyways, it’s British rail for God’s sake. By the time we’d reached brum a number of disasters had taken place and it became impossible for us to reach Brighton in time for the game. So
We looked in the paper and decided on the fa cup game between Aston Villa and West Ham.
We were in the the Hamas supporters on the Whitton terrace. At the other end was the massive holt end terrace.
During the game the holt end burst into song with accompanying clapping. ‘Your gonna get your ...’
That kind of thing.
We all became aware that there was no visible clapping action to accompany the singing.
We honestly came to the conclusion that the atmosphere at Villa was piped through on the grounds tannoy system.
To this day I think this. Now I’m reading that everyone is to do this to create an atmosphere.
Villa should have took out a patent back in 77

It's one of those urban myths that if it did happen, until somebody admits they pushed the on button we'll never know. Crystal Palace were heavily rumoured to be doing it during the 1990's but did they or was it a rumour started by a mischievous Brighton supporter? It's similar to the urban myth of historic under reporting gate figures which I am more inclined to believe without absolute proof, based upon the evidence of my own eyes (Wycombe in the Conference winning game 1988 being a prime example) plus the financial gains of being able to hide some cash in hand. It's ironic that we now have 'big' clubs over reporting gates to apparently save face. The funniest one for me recently was the Man. City v West Ham league match shortly before the virus; a match I attended. The ground was so empty I couldn't wait to see what figure Man. City would publish, for a laugh. They must have thought it would be bad for their brand image so got round the issue by simply not publishing the gate. If anybody can actually find a figure for that game please let me know :grinning:

The funniest one for me recently was the Man. City v West Ham league match shortly before the virus; a match I attended. The ground was so empty I couldn't wait to see what figure Man. City would publish, for a laugh. They must have thought it would be bad for their brand image so got round the issue by simply not publishing the gate. If anybody can actually find a figure for that game please let me know :grinning:

https://www.11v11.com/matches/manchester-city-v-west-ham-united-19-february-2020-366139/

Yes most premiership clubs do that, arsenal do it, announce tickets presold not the actual attendance.

I seem to recall some opposition fan was mocking and accusing us of piping atmosphere through the tannoy not so long ago and someone posted about it on the forum, cant remember the club involved though.

Thanks Bazzzer. Wow 52,000 that is beyond laughable. So basically the ground was full then apart from the away end 3000.
We had tickets for the original Sunday fixture before it was washed out. We received our refund after this game was played so assume we were included in the attendance? 🤷‍♂️

Yes most premiership clubs do that, arsenal do it, announce tickets presold not the actual attendance.

I think MK did it last year too, didn’t they include all the free or cheap Nosh at Nando’s tickets sent out,where, it seemed many were unused in the actual ground

We had tickets for the original Sunday fixture before it was washed out. We received our refund after this game was played so assume we were included in the attendance? 🤷‍♂️
In the greater scheme of things it isn't of any importance but it does seem to be a strange way of going about things. I totally understand there will be a department in charge of brand image and how important kudos will be to the club in terms of trying to expand that 'brand' nationally and internationally but this does seem to be counter productive to that aim. Much as I really dislike what the PL has become and they are a big part of the problem it would be trite of me not to recognise some of the incredible community work Man. City do (yes they can afford it but at times they do go above and beyond) and I think they would be better served in highlighting that and maybe trying to get back to their roots. Unless they win 10 Champions Leagues over the space of two decades they are never going to be a Real Madrid or Liverpool and do they really want to become a more plastic version of Manure so why not try to carve out their own niche as the biggest community club in the world which I believe would be a much more comfortable fit for their 30k traditional core supporters.

I’m just picturing jimmy burns on tambourine and Percy on the triangle. Banging away in ‘tune’ with the drum section. As witnessed back in the 90s. :wahey: