Pig nation | Vital Football

Pig nation

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
V

Villan Of The North

In the November issue of GQ, Tony Parsons has a fantastic article on the decline of polite society and the emergence of what he calls "pig nation". I'd love to paste it here or link to it but it's too long for me to type out and it's not on line and I only have the hard copy, not digital. If anyone has the digital copy please paste it here, it really is quite brilliant, proper journalism at it's best!

Find his column quite mixed, some are just rambles, but when he is on song, he is interesting. Shame it isn't online, what is the general gist of it Villan, I subscribe but can't recall getting a copy this month, so probably lost!

The Fear - 12/10/2013 19:41

Find his column quite mixed, some are just rambles, but when he is on song, he is interesting. Shame it isn't online, what is the general gist of it Villan, I subscribe but can't recall getting a copy this month, so probably lost!

Basically a ramble about how we've (the British) lost our values of politeness, often misinterpreted by foreigners as aloofness and/or meaningless tradition but in fact being an essential part of respect and human interaction. We've bread a nation of people who only care about themselves who are not intentionally rude, they just don't comprehend that there is any point in considering anyone other themselves.

Pride of Lions - 12/10/2013 18:51

When I saw this thread, I thought it was going to be a rant about police cameras all over the place.......

I thought what have they done down the road again at the sty :10:

Villan Of The North - 13/10/2013 04:15

The Fear - 12/10/2013 19:41

Basically a ramble about how we've (the British) lost our values of politeness, often misinterpreted by foreigners as aloofness and/or meaningless tradition but in fact being an essential part of respect and human interaction. We've bread a nation of people who only care about themselves who are not intentionally rude, they just don't comprehend that there is any point in considering anyone other themselves.

Older people have always complained that the young are rude. I read a piece from the 1400's where the author complained that the world was going to hell because the young had no values and were rude.

I'm not sure how you can measure rudeness and the old British stiff upper lip certainly seems dead but the falling crime statistics suggest that Britain's young people aren't so bad.

All girls are bitches at some level and all guys are dickheads at some level it's just how deep you have to dig to find it that's the difference

Is it reference to general manners, holding the door open, courtesy on the roads, etc? If so, then you would have to agree with the article. Strangeness of it is, why are we becoming more selfish and rude? What is making us this way in general?

I see bad manners everywhere, when i was a kid growing up if you cheaked your elders you got a crack and that was in the 80's, but now its all me me me, like today a jamaican guy in Argos pushed my mrs aside to walk in front of us in the queueand held his bag out in front of us to let his mrs join the queue in front of us and he walked off lol we couldn't believe it i had to bite my lip but couldn'tresist saying ''bloody hell mate that was a bit bad its just a queue'' but this happans everywhere now does my nut in.

It's very simple. There are too many of us, and not enough space. It's the Evolutionary response to an invasion of our territory/space. It was predicted many decades ago, as we continue to expand our population.

Short of mass genocide, it's here to stay.

Yeah Heath we are now cramed into small spaces together i agree, but just wish some folk would consider others, we have to realise treat others as we expect to be treated and wait your turn i learnt this growing up (by getting the belt off my grandad if i disagreed ;)

ClivetheVillan - 13/10/2013 13:19

Yeah Heath we are now cramed into small spaces together i agree, but just wish some folk would consider others, we have to realise treat others as we expect to be treated and wait your turn i learnt this growing up (by getting the belt off my grandad if i disagreed ;)

The PC crowd do have an influence here, I agree. Like you, I would have got a good smack if I didn't act in a proper manner. Now kids aren't scared of anything.

Put this with the stress of living with so many people you don't know, and this leads us to act less politely, and kids follow their parents example. We've evolved to live in small, family groups, which no longer really exist.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 13/10/2013 13:26

ClivetheVillan - 13/10/2013 13:19

The PC crowd do have an influence here, I agree. Like you, I would have got a good smack if I didn't act in a proper manner. Now kids aren't scared of anything.

Put this with the stress of living with so many people you don't know, and this leads us to act less politely, and kids follow their parents example. We've evolved to live in small, family groups, which no longer really exist.

The demise of the family unit has the world has gotten smaller hasn't helped matters certainly in The U.K which I think has been hit by this more so.

People move around now and families are more spread out. This doesn't help matters with support within the family unit.

On Average (with exceptions to the rule, as always) there is far less need for children's social services/elderly social services and so on in foreign cultures than ours.

Simply because the demise of the family unit is not strong as it used to be. There was a time when families stayed in the same area, married someone in the same area, stayed in the same area and this has helped the break down of family life and support mechanisms.

Also yes whilst smacking could be taken to extremes and it needed to be modified it is like everything it has been taken to the extreme.
You can see parents out today where has once the children would have had a smack not doing that because of repercussions. The youngsters are really out of hand doing what they want as smacking is outlawed.

I am not saying I agree with it. if there is another way to deal then it should be but the nanny state has taken so many rights out of parents it has not helped parents with parenting, at all.

You can't do this, you can't do that. The PC have a lot to answer for

I hope this article is not another pathetic attack on the youth of today... For some reason its okay to attack the kids and 20 somethings...

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 13/10/2013 13:14

It's very simple. There are too many of us, and not enough space. It's the Evolutionary response to an invasion of our territory/space. It was predicted many decades ago, as we continue to expand our population.

I havnt been to China but you look at how their culture has evolved... There is so many car accidents in China because they just focus on looking forward and not paying attention to what is around them... And why? Partly because there is so many people you have to ignore they just developed to focus on themselves and what is ahead...

Remember the baby lying in the street and nobody going to help it... They went from a logical evolution to not caring...
We in the west might develop to focus on oneself but I dont think we will ever lose the compassion... I think its fascinating how many parts of the world dont recognise human rights like we do but then I suppose there is the problems consumerism caused and we ignore it...

CDX_EIRE - 14/10/2013 03:51

I hope this article is not another pathetic attack on the youth of today... For some reason its okay to attack the kids and 20 somethings...

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 13/10/2013 13:14

I havnt been to China but you look at how their culture has evolved... There is so many car accidents in China because they just focus on looking forward and not paying attention to what is around them... And why? Partly because there is so many people you have to ignore they just developed to focus on themselves and what is ahead...

Remember the baby lying in the street and nobody going to help it... They went from a logical evolution to not caring...
We in the west might develop to focus on oneself but I dont think we will ever lose the compassion... I think its fascinating how many parts of the world dont recognise human rights like we do but then I suppose there is the problems consumerism caused and we ignore it...

You should go to China. It would open your eyes to Western hypocrisy. Obama tells the Chinese to allow more freedom while he spies on his own citizens, locks people away for years without charge and blows up child on the other side of the world by computer.

The human rights abuses in China are only ever brought up by the Western media when there are trade negotiations going on and they are only brought up as a bargaining chip. The Chinese usually laugh them off because they can see the funny side of a war criminal like Blair or Obama criticising someone else for how they treat people.

BB Im under no illusion about the leaders of the west although to be fair to Obama I think the president of America is really just a front man for those behind the scenes...
I think he genuinely thought he would get in and change things but once in office he realised he has little to no power... You look at the policies he ran with and Obamacare is the only thing he has been able to implement from what he wanted...

The consumerism thing I threw in was about the the human rights abuses we caused... Through our want of cheap goods people in China work for nothing in horrible conditions and some factories have suicide nets i.e. nets to prevent people jumping to their death...

I used China as an example due to the high population and I didnt want to use the trusty middle east as an example for human rights abuse... I do get what you;re saying but despite everything I would rather live in the west than the middle east, Africa etc.

Its funny actually I was thinking about technology and such and they say military tech is always 7 years ahead of what we have... My American phone is quite different to the ones I had in Ireland and England... I notice certain things turn themselves on like my wi-fi and I got to thinking about the GPS... Such a great piece of tech I can find where I am so easily which is great in NYC... Then I started to wonder did the Government have any input into these devices...
You could track me so easily and keep tabs on me no problem America and England etc are like hidden police states... Hitler would be creaming himself in this era so easy to spy on people... I can hide my internet traffic but I have to remove the battery to stop people tracking me...

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 13/10/2013 14:14

And yet the Japanese have the reputation of being amongst the most courteous people on the planet.

CDX_EIRE - 13/10/2013 19:51

It's not, or at least that's not how I read it, more a commentary on how society in general, over the last 60 years, has lost sight of responsibility to everything and anyone other than one's own personal desires and the observable consequences of this in how we interact.

Villan Of The North - 13/10/2013 20:07

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 13/10/2013 14:14

And yet the Japanese have the reputation of being amongst the most courteous people on the planet.

Yep, and the Irish are all stupid and Germans have no sense of humour. Come, come, Northy. I wouldn't have expected you to fall into the National Stereotype trap. People who have lived in Japan, or with Japanese people say that they are no more polite than anyone else.