Philosophy | Vital Football

Philosophy

ayamonte

Vital 1st Team Regular
In case anybody is in any doubt, the word philosophy, when frequently used in football nowadays, means.....tactics :unsure::LOL:

You mean, you can be 'philosophically inept'..? More words to make it sound harder than it really is. Brian Clough will be revolving slowly in his grave.

I think you can have both, and that you always had both. Philosophy is your beliefs of how the game should be played, and tactics are how you apply those beliefs to the game itself. Its 1. What you want to do, and 2. How you want to do it. Its the basic process at the core of everything that everybody does from football to business, to decorating the house, to what you're having for dinner.

As an example, CW's philosophy is front foot football. His tactics are to get a bunch of physical journeymen to give 110%.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

You mean, you can be 'philosophically inept'..? More words to make it sound harder than it really is. Brian Clough will be revolving slowly in his grave.

I think you can have both, and that you always had both. Philosophy is your beliefs of how the game should be played, and tactics are how you apply those beliefs to the game itself. Its 1. What you want to do, and 2. How you want to do it. Its the basic process at the core of everything that everybody does from football to business, to decorating the house, to what you're having for dinner.

As an example, CW's philosophy is front foot football. His tactics are to get a bunch of physical journeymen to give 110%.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Naaah - its still tactics.................we don't hear the word used for any other sport.....media nonsense

CW's philosophy is to try and win football matches. Apparently this is a breath of fresh air to the Premier League, which just goes to show how many rubbish managers/head coaches have been plying their trade in the division recently.

I agree broadly with FKB's post but .........

Jargon and sound bites get elevated into a mantra as pundits struggle to find different wys to say the same thing.

The philosophy is the mission statement,, the tactics are the meaans to achieve that mission.

Like I said jargon!

Last edited:
CW's philosophy is to try and win football matches. Apparently this is a breath of fresh air to the Premier League, which just goes to show how many rubbish managers/head coaches have been plying their trade in the division recently.

It certainly is to those who have looked at the fixtures and put a line though Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea games and thought about how they can get 38 points from the rest so they can survive another year on the gravy train.

Every game starts at 0-0 and so every game is a chance of a win.

It certainly is to those who have looked at the fixtures and put a line though Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea games and thought about how they can get 38 points from the rest so they can survive another year on the gravy train.

Every game starts at 0-0 and so every game is a chance of a win.

Very philosophical FKB

Scott Hogan equalises for Brum.........:yes::yes:
Dissapointed we didn't get all 3 today...but hey before the season had started to be knocking on the door of a possible european place I would have been locked up, very very happy where we are....think the rest of this season Berge will need get use to our style, so I will not expect too much of him...just need to give the lad a bit of time.
Up the Blades
Tufty's red and white army marches on

Get what you mean Diode. If we'd just drawn the last match of the season to get to 40 points, I'd have been perfectly happy. But now we have a chance of an even bigger prize, I want it...

Scott Hogan equalises for Brum.........:yes::yes:
Dissapointed we didn't get all 3 today...but hey before the season had started to be knocking on the door of a possible european place I would have been locked up, very very happy where we are....think the rest of this season Berge will need get use to our style, so I will not expect too much of him...just need to give the lad a bit of time.
Up the Blades
Tufty's red and white army marches on

Good old Scott Hogan - certainly played his part for us (y)

What’s a coaching philosophy? Basically, it reflects the standards you set for yourself and your team, and it’s the foundation of your coaching values and beliefs.

Tactics are completely different and envelope.

Playing style, can change based on quality of the players
System, 4-4-2 etc
Team organization, attacking and defending responsibilities
Game plan, Adopted for a specific game
Startegies, more detail of your game plan
Movement, individual and collective based on plan and strategies.

I know the experts on TV muddle this up but this is the difference between.