Pets... | Vital Football

Pets...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
... aka animal companions.

Interesting debate on another thread.

We have two dogs. My take on this is that they constantly remind me that animals have agency, emotions, consciousness and value.

We play together, interact and communicate.They remind me that humanity is just anotger species.

I think that is valuable.

I get all that Notty and fantastic I have no issues with dogs. Got to be careful what I write here. But let’s say leaving a dog at home to bark all day is not the actions of a responsible owner. To such an extent you’ve had to move house and caused health issues to the one you hold dear. So much so they are frightened to wake up and face a new day. I could write a book.

Always had a Jack Russell when I was growing up. Would love a dog now, but working all day just wouldn't be fair on it.
Personally, I was never a fan of cats. But, we inherited one when my sister in law passed away. My wife loved it to pieces as it was a reminder of her sister. It would climb into the sleeve of my dressing gown (whilst I was wearing it!) and go to sleep. Basically, hung around me until I had no choice but to like it.
We then found an unchipped kitten in our garden and I lost the argument over taking it in. Its still a timid and jumpy thing even 6 years later. I'm now in the position my wife was in with her sister. It'll break my heart when it dies, and I'm a miserable bugger that never liked cats (I still hate the various other little fuckers that keep shitting on my lawn!)

... aka animal companions.

Interesting debate on another thread.

We have two dogs. My take on this is that they constantly remind me that animals have agency, emotions, consciousness and value.

We play together, interact and communicate.They remind me that humanity is just anotger species.

I think that is valuable.

The alternative take (which I'm not saying I am a proponent of but it does make for an interesting debate)

You have a pet (be it a dog, cat or pig or whatever) and you are in a locked house you can't escape from. Once you run out of food how long does it take the pet to eat you? How long does it take you to eat the pet?

I get all that Notty and fantastic I have no issues with dogs. Got to be careful what I write here. But let’s say leaving a dog at home to bark all day is not the actions of a responsible owner. To such an extent you’ve had to move house and caused health issues to the one you hold dear. So much so they are frightened to wake up and face a new day. I could write a book.

I feel for you. That, obviously, isn't in any sense responsible dog ownership.

We had some issues with that when we got a second dog who has separation issues and we didn't realise he was crying when we went out (this was mainly occasional evenings, as we mostly work from home during the day). We then took steps to manage that and it doesn't happen now.

The alternative take (which I'm not saying I am a proponent of but it does make for an interesting debate)

You have a pet (be it a dog, cat or pig or whatever) and you are in a locked house you can't escape from. Once you run out of food how long does it take the pet to eat you? How long does it take you to eat the pet?

Oh, as the old adage goes, a dog is two missed meals away from a wolf.

They're domesticated wild animals. So are humans. ;)

We don't have pets ourselves (travel too much, it wouldn't be fair) but are both deeply fond of cats and Casa Hither seems to be a moggy magnet! Being kept company as I type by a very tranquil tabby (nicknamed Squeaky by me!) who lives somewhere local and comes to us for fuss and a comfy corner to kip in......

I've always fancied having a parrot.

Had two parrots, from a time when I volunteered at a wildlife hospital and one was in desperate need of a home.

Initially had one and it was great company, used to sit with you etc and he was free to fly around when I was at home.

Neighbours moved away, who had the same type of parrot and as our parrots got on, we adopted her - they adored each other and would no longer entertain humans to the point where it became unmanageable, so the tough decision was made to give them to Lincolnshire wildlife park, just down the road from me (who you might have seen on the news recently with chico, the parrot who sings Beyoncé).

Long story short I would never have a parrot again, not because I don’t like them, but I believe they should be free to have more room to fly and they should be with their kind (which then makes them, no so great companions).