Peterborough.. | Vital Football

Peterborough..

cornypomp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Just managed to log on to my laptop as we go 1 down. I don't know what was going on in defense there. A muddle?

At first glance its looking like quite a defensive team. Not that impressed. Chasing the game now though, and Peterborough with their tails up. We've got to pull something out of the bag here, or these away games are going to do for us..

Well.. the less said about that the better, because if I do I'll be questioning team selection, and Marquis on the end of what exactly. When you set up for 0-0 you're asking for trouble. Simply not good enough today. That's three away losses on the bounce now.. :downer:

As a goal threat, all I have heard over the weeks is Burgess’s head or a cut in and shot from Curtis. There’s no central threat with trickery or short passing.
The only player on bench that is there is Hawkins who is a hold up player or pitman who has no pace.
That’s why I question the squad acquisition and the teams ability

As a goal threat, all I have heard over the weeks is Burgess’s head or a cut in and shot from Curtis. There’s no central threat with trickery or short passing.
The only player on bench that is there is Hawkins who is a hold up player or pitman who has no pace.
That’s why I question the squad acquisition and the teams ability

Absolutely, I couldn't have put it better myself.

For the life of me, when I look back at our adoption of the one up front system, I could never grasp how that was going to be successful. If I'm right, that started in the Prem and was picked up by teams in the lower divisions.

I can, to a degree understand it working in the Prem mainly because the quality of player is so much higher. What it seems to engender in the lower divisions, especially when a team is up against stiff opposition, is hoofball. Long balls out of defense hoping to connect with a lone striker.

For that to work you need a hold up player who can defend the ball with muscle/guile and bring others into play. That's not going to happen with John Marquis in my opinion unless he gets lucky. More likely, is the ball gets quickly shunted back down field, and we've gained nothing.

Some of the best football I've seen us play has been when we've kept it on the ground and played the passing game. We are capable of this I feel, but it never seems to be forthcoming against better opposition..