Peter Withe on his time at Newcastle - Name that Toon | Vital Football

Peter Withe on his time at Newcastle - Name that Toon

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
Peter Withe on his time at Newcastle - Name that Toon

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?522905">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Was/is Peter Withe recognised as a Newcastle character or just a player who came and went folks? (Sorry for my ignorance! Just wondering!)

For those of us who went in that era, it was a miracle that we had him. I still have the beer mat that he and Irving Nattrass signed in Tuxedo Junction.

He was a cut above the rest of the team at the time and formed a great partnership with Alan Shoulder.

He was only here a couple of years but was an icon. The fondest memories are of his fearsome battles with central defenders, particularly Micky Droy but when he stood back off them, made space and showed his skill, was more devastating. In some ways, he was the sort of player who Mitrovic could model himself on.

I never understood why Clough sold him, unless it was his age.

It says a lot about him that he left Forest as Champions and helped Villa to both the league title and European Cup.

If you were to ask my son, he would repeat a lot of stories that I have relayed. Having said that, Withe could have been a legend if we had a decent manager at the time. Bill McGarry was a disaster.

Peter Withe's a werewolf .. clap clap... clap clap clap (and repeat)

Fantastic player. I seem to remember him bundling Micky Droy into the Gallowgate net during one game and a few blows being exchanged as they struggled to free themselves.

Anyone else remember this?

Yes OL, one of my favourite memories. Micky Droy was built like a tank and the first half Withe really took him on.

1-0 down at half time, Withe started playing rather than battling, got a brace and one of the most memorable 2-1 wins.

Was shocked when he signed for us but glad he did cracking player a good old fashioned centre forward.

I think he had a bit of a spat with Cloughie at Forest. We had a poor team and this made the signing all the more surprising. I remember him playing a game not long after having 14. stitches in a foot injury. Hard as they come and we were all the poorer when he left for Villa a couple of seasons later.

Thanks for the answers, I know him slightly from the Villa connection, not surprised he's well thought of by you fans as well. Seems a proper football guy, as opposed to the modern errr.. I shouldn't swear should I!?

(I should have logged in with my username not admin really, very lazy!)

I think i was shocked at him signing for us because he dropped a division and went from challenging for honours with Forest to playing in a pretty average team

His brother (ex Whitley Bay I think) is our window cleaner here in Nottingham he taught my young un football from age 5 - top bloke

Didn't we sign or have three players who were previously at non league clubs when Withe was playing at the Toon? Little wonder he went after a couple of years for more than double what we paid for him.

Yes - Alan Shoulder and Steve Carney from Blyth, Peter Cartwright from North Shields.

You mean you forgot his new year goal 1980 against the mackems?

Looking back, there is something I had forgotten too. His first goal was also against the mackems earlier in the season but in the League Cup.

I recall that league cup tie. If I'm remembering properly the first leg was away. It might have been 1-1 with them getting a late equaliser. Sticks in my mind because we were walking away from Roker in the dark when a big roar went up. Everyone in the street was cheering except us, a few eyes went on us and they got stuck in. We were still at school and we'd gone through with somebody's fatha in the van. Bit scary as a kid. I remember I didn't have money for the home leg but I somehow got some and away I went. Not sure it was all ticket and it was a shite crowd, 27,000 I think. Sunderland had about 1500 fans in the Leazes. Loads of them had left well before the end. Strange night.

Close OL. Both legs were 2-2. We lost it on away goals in the 2nd leg after extra time. I only went to the home game.

I remember thinking about legging it so I could catch the last bus home but had to stay to the end and had a long walk.

A few old memories coming out there Rexn. I remember them going through and how gutted we were. The Peter Withe / Mickey Droy thing I hadn't thought of in years either. The away leg was great, Roker always was fantastic under lights. That's from a dyed in the wool Newcastle supporter as well. Newcastle had a lot of support there and we felt safe as houses on the way to and then inside the ground. Felt reasonably safe coming out with my mate's fatha until we got into those back lanes up near the coaches. If we'd been a bit older I think we'd have taken a proper hiding. As it was we got a bit of a clip and they let us get in the van and drive away. Still wankers like, but it could have been a lot worse.

A few memories for me too, OL. Having been dragged around the country by my father's work, it was when he got back to the North East that I saw my first NUFC home game, when I was about 16.
It was years until I finally saw more home games than away.

My first trip to Roker was, funnily enough, when Peter Withe led the line. We scored first in a 1-1 draw with a quickly taken Nigel Walker free kick to Withe and a bullet header, all while the home team were questioning the referee.

Strange to think that Nigel Walker is now dead as well as a few other people who provided great memories.