Peter Withe on his time at Newcastle - Name that Toon | Page 2 | Vital Football

Peter Withe on his time at Newcastle - Name that Toon

Rexn - 5/3/2018 14:38

Close OL. Both legs were 2-2. We lost it on away goals in the 2nd leg after extra time. I only went to the home game.

I remember thinking about legging it so I could catch the last bus home but had to stay to the end and had a long walk.

Lost on pens, Rexn - Pearson missing (Siddall saved). Newcastle had the tie won until Alan Brown (great loan stint for Newcastle pre-Keegan but his fitness problems and the club being cash-strapped* meant it wasn't made permanent) scored in the dying seconds to take it into ET.

* there was actually a fund set up by supporters to try and buy Brown.

I was at that game too Rexn. Kevin Arnott scored a brilliant free kick for them. I might be getting this one mixed up as well mind. I went to so many games back in those days, just about all of them at home and around half the away games. It all blurs into one long game after a while (and the sun is always shining)

I know what you mean about blurring. Some moments are more memorable than others. I think I wanted to wipe penalties out of my mind. Having said that, the new year game repaired the season.

Around then, when we had Withe, McGarry went from top of the league to a very long blur of mediocrity, which of course we had previously under Dinnis too.

You have done it to me, Finn, I have spent all afternoon getting flashbacks to Barry Siddall. Do I remember him correctly as looking like Basil Fawlty and having a huge arse?