Peter 'The Tank' Hindley | Vital Football

Peter 'The Tank' Hindley

Hi,

I am the grandson of former forest player Peter ‘Tank’ Hindley. He played over 350 games for the reds and captained the side to an FA cup semi-final against Spurs. In 2007 he was diagnosed with Dementia and has slowly deteriorated and at the start of 2019 was placed into a care home in Peterborough. When visiting him in the care home he could still point out several players he played with like Ian Storey-Moore, John Barnwell and Terry Hennessey. In the last few weeks we have decided to try and collect as many memories and memorabilia as we possibly can to have an everlasting memory of him.

Therefore, I would like to invite anyone to post on here any pictures, fun facts, memories or information about either my Grandad or the era in which he would have played, any pictures or memorabilia would be greatly appreciated. As well as this, if anyone knows of anyone or has contacts that could help me in my search would also be really appreciated. If anyone would like to get in touch personally my email address is zacallen@btinternet.com.

Thankyou very much in advance,

Zac Allen

Hi,

I am the grandson of former forest player Peter ‘Tank’ Hindley. He played over 350 games for the reds and captained the side to an FA cup semi-final against Spurs. In 2007 he was diagnosed with Dementia and has slowly deteriorated and at the start of 2019 was placed into a care home in Peterborough. When visiting him in the care home he could still point out several players he played with like Ian Storey-Moore, John Barnwell and Terry Hennessey. In the last few weeks we have decided to try and collect as many memories and memorabilia as we possibly can to have an everlasting memory of him.

Therefore, I would like to invite anyone to post on here any pictures, fun facts, memories or information about either my Grandad or the era in which he would have played, any pictures or memorabilia would be greatly appreciated. As well as this, if anyone knows of anyone or has contacts that could help me in my search would also be really appreciated. If anyone would like to get in touch personally my email address is zacallen@btinternet.com.

Zac Allen
I don't have any, I'm afraid, but best of luck. He was part of one of our better eras.

Hi,

Zac Allen

Sadly I'm a little too young (I don't say that very often) to have any memories of your Grandad, but there are a few posters that come on here that may be able to help.

I wish you (& your family) all the very best with your quest and hope that whatever help you do get, is equally helpful for The Tank.

You may want to email the press officer at Nottingham Forest (if you haven't already) - they may have some archive material.

The second best team we ever had, back in the days when players like Peter Hindley, John Winfield and Peter Grummitt made over 300 appearances each in the back three, not to mention Bob McKinley. Team picture on the attached link. Hindley and Winfield must have been the best pair of uncapped fullbacks around at the time , and Peter Grummitt was prettty useful too.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/mar/23/secret-of-their-eyes-oscar-argentina

Most football lovers have an allegiance not just to a club but to a particular team, the sequence of their names hard-wired into the memory, ready to be produced at the appropriate moment. It's a way, not least, of proving one's authenticity: by rolling out the names of Thompson, Whare, McDonald, Burkitt, McKinlay, Whitefoot, Dwight, Quigley, Wilson, Gray and Imlach, I demonstrate my right to be considered a Nottingham Forest fan.

But maybe remembering an FA Cup winning team, even one from 1959, is not much more of a feat than reciting the names of Alf Ramsey's England heroes of 1966. So I reinforce my claim by rattling off another XI: Grummitt, Hindley, Winfield, Hennessey, McKinley, Newton, Lyons, Barnwell, Baker, Wignall and Storey-Moore, runners-up in the old First Division in 1966-67, left. And it's amusing to realise that such feats of memory are extended even to the enemies of that era: Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles and Gray.

New generations of fans have been denied the same privilege. Ever since Fabio Capello used the money Silvio Berlusconi poured into Milan to create the first of the big squads almost 20 years old, squad rotation has meant that although an individual unit – Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Keown and Winterburn, for example – may write itself into legend, a favourite XI must be provisional and temporary. And so a cherished ritual loses its essential nourishment.

So I reinforce my claim by rattling off another XI: Grummitt, Hindley, Winfield, Hennessey, McKinley, Newton, Lyons, Barnwell, Baker, Wignall and Storey-Moore, runners-up in the old First Division in 1966-67, left.
That team would have won hardware had Joe Baker not been deliberately injured by an Everton player (name?) in the quarter-final. I always thought Lyons was the only weak link. Hinton was a lightweight alternative who Cloughie turned into a world beater at the Sheep dip.

That team would have won hardware had Joe Baker not been deliberately injured by an Everton player (name?) in the quarter-final. I always thought Lyons was the only weak link. Hinton was a lightweight alternative who Cloughie turned into a world beater at the Sheep dip.

Brian Labone