Peter Lloyd | Page 2 | Vital Football

Peter Lloyd

It was the scouse goon next to him he was useless and ridiculously bias. Given that they kept saying the commentary was for Radio Kent and iFollow as well as Lancs, you’d have thought he would have toned down (or been told to tone down) the biased and not kept referring to their players by their first names as other than hardcore Stanley fans I doubt anyone had a scoobie who he was talking about! .

Agree. I got the impression that at the start of the second half the colour man did come out with some mild praise of the Gills and I wondered whether someone had actually said something to him. It soon wore off though !

Fair enough, WXG. But he did give a weather report prior to kick off and the inference I got was that he was there. My bad.

Edited to say, sorry wxgill - but Peter Lloyd WAS at the Crown Ground in Accrington yesterday - doing Media Duties for GFC. Didn`t think I was going mad. Go to BBC Radio Kent Sports Hub via "Sounds" and listen to the last ten minutes - our Peter was clearly there well, here (in Lancs)
my apologies as i am on!y going on what the producer said to me on the phone. i like peter parker's chat.

Wasn't the scouse bloke Ged Brannan ? He's their U23s manager. A bit of bias inevitable.
On at least one occasion the main commentator (who I agree was very good) mentioned that GED Brennan was a part of the Stanley coaching team.

I thought overall the Commentators were very good on Saturday. The main guy from Radio Lancashire was very fair and certainly gave a good description of the play and where the ball was on the pitch. Even identifying the gillingham players only making a couple of errors. The Co-Com Ged Brennan Stanley U23 manager was a little bias but certainly pick up on how good JG was saying on several occasions “we’re going to have to watch him”
In fact when JG done his pirouette in the 2nd half the pair of them were having orgasms.
Certainly the Radio Kent commentary will have to up their game.

In my opinion Peter Lloyd does a good job. He's a fan, which probably winds up oppo fans sometimes, but he's not one eyed. He knows our history and can imagine what fans at home are thinking. Naturally his opposite numbers from other clubs appear biased to us and we are not as interested in their history.

Ged Brennan was a different fish altogether, not only an ex professional footballer and currently a coach, but also a Stanley employee. His knowledge and observation were quite different to those of the commentators and consequently all the more interesting. I thought he was very fair given his position and the praise he did give was informative. Good to get a different perspective but Ill be happy to welcome our own man back.

Agree with that the main comm (presumably BBC Lancs) was decent and fair. It was the scouse goon next to him he was useless and ridiculously bias. Given that they kept saying the commentary was for Radio Kent and iFollow as well as Lancs, you’d have thought he would have toned down (or been told to tone down) the biased and not kept referring to their players by their first names as other than hardcore Stanley fans I doubt anyone had a scoobie who he was talking about!

Glad to hear Lloydie was there. I thought I heard him on Radio Kent post the match. I guess they can engineer him covering it to give a report to keep his record going, which is fair enough.
The scouse goon is an ex player for Stanley.Presumably on there for his playing connection rather than his broadcasting prowess..

In my opinion Peter Lloyd does a good job. He's a fan, which probably winds up oppo fans sometimes, but he's not one eyed. He knows our history and can imagine what fans at home are thinking. Naturally his opposite numbers from other clubs appear biased to us and we are not as interested in their history.

Ged Brennan was a different fish altogether, not only an ex professional footballer and currently a coach, but also a Stanley employee. His knowledge and observation were quite different to those of the commentators and consequently all the more interesting. I thought he was very fair given his position and the praise he did give was informative. Good to get a different perspective but Ill be happy to welcome our own man back.
Agreed, although I enjoyed the Radio L commentary, I was disappointed we weren’t going to hear The Gills are ‘ starting to ask questions ‘ of the opposition, at some stage of the match. Nor ‘putting in a shift’ or ’ we can still take something from this match’ all great LLoydisms that get shouted out in our house when they occur...

Agreed, although I enjoyed the Radio L commentary, I was disappointed we weren’t going to hear The Gills are ‘ starting to ask questions ‘ of the opposition, at some stage of the match. Nor ‘putting in a shift’ or ’ we can still take something from this match’ all great LLoydisms that get shouted out in our house when they occur...

I think many of us sometimes take the mickey out of Peter Lloyd (PL) but in reality, most of us rate him. I think that he`s really good, perceptive and knowledgeable. The (play-by-play PBP) commentators he`s paired with are generally poor IMO. PL frequently has to bail them out by either nudging them as to the action they`re failing to commentate on or to correct the numerous errors they make. I also think that PL is very fair and he is head and shoulders above most "colour commentators" in that regard.

What I like about the R/Lancs PBP commentators is that they demonstrate an awareness that people actually need a picture conjured up. They also take into account the iFollow audience. R/Lancs usually cover around half a dozen EFL games every Saturday and still manage to have competent PBP commentators at all of the venues (i`ve listened to them). R/Kent is badly lacking in their PBP stable. Peter Lloyd, on the other hand, is excellent. If we could pair up the Accy commentator with PL we`d have a good combo.

Radio Kent ignore the basic rule of radio commentating. Your listeners are blind. Following the match with audio only is next to impossible. One minute they’re describing a Gills corner and then, with nothing in between, it’s a chance to the opposition. When you get the radio commentary joined with the iFollow pictures you can spot the gaps.