Peter Beardsley | Page 2 | Vital Football

Peter Beardsley

Gazza was better than both.

Err, no, no he wasn’t.

How many Serie A titles did Gazza inspire Lazio to? Err, none.

How many European trophies did Gazza inspire Lazio to? Err, none.

How many World Cups did Gazza inspire his country to win? Err, none.

At club level, Gascoigne was a one in eight scorer, Maradona was one in two. Maradona played 500 games, Gascoigne circa 400. (I will refrain from mentioning many of those were in Scotland)

At international level, Maradona scored twice as many goals as Gascoigne and Beardsley combined.

We already knew you know fuck all about football, the fact you can’t even spell the bloke’s name right kind of says it all.

Just to reiterate my initial point in this thread..

History will obviously state that Maradona was one of the greatest and there is no doubting he was an exceptional talent.

Neppos has pointed out that individual stats relative to their respective clubs success separates Maradona & Beardsley by quite a margin

What my opinion is based on is what I see with my own eyes

I see nothing in Beardsleys compilation video that is bettered by Maradona - infact the similarities in some of the goals is fascinating

My point is that technically I think there is very little difference between them with Beardsley being one of the most naturally gifted two footed players I've ever seen

So to repeat - in MY OPINION - I view Beardsley right up there with Maradona, Pele, Messi and Ronaldo and was underated on the world stage

Last edited:
Using the same logic as the old gin soaked spinster, the likes of Jon Dahl Tomasson and many others would be up there with Shearer.

I must also apologise for not being completely au fait with the spelling of South American footballers’ names who had almost retired by the time I was 10 years of age. Adding an extra n into his name is a heinous crime and obviously points towards someone’s knowledge of football. Who knew.

Neppos is right. Beardsley wasn't under rated and certainly nowhere near maradona level. Also, maradona proved how good he was well before he got hooked on coke. The guy had an addictive personality and fame was always going to get the better of him but talking purely on football and purely on talent Beardsley is 3 or 4 leagues lower than maradona and that's being generous.

Beardsley was a brilliant player,probably Newcastle's finest,not in the same league as Maradona tho.Lost a lot of credibility with his sycophantic behaviour, licking fatties hoop.Didn't cover himself in glory too with his coaching methods if morals are part of a players credentials.

I must also apologise for not being completely au fait with the spelling of South American footballers’ names who had almost retired by the time I was 10 years of age. Adding an extra n into his name is a heinous crime and obviously points towards someone’s knowledge of football. Who knew.

Age is no excuse for ignorance.

Hughie Gallacher retired long before I was born but I know a lot about him because, as a supporter, I wanted to know about the history of the club and the players that made that history. So I read up about them over the years.

I'd be surprised if you even know who he was.

*waits for lil' Chris to toddle off to google 😃

Last edited:
Beardsley was a brilliant player,probably Newcastle's finest,not in the same league as Maradona tho.Lost a lot of credibility with his sycophantic behaviour, licking fatties hoop.Didn't cover himself in glory too with his coaching methods if morals are part of a players credentials.

Always said you know your onions, Ry 😉

I've only just come across Athletico Mince on youtube

Bob Mortimer fans will love it

here's a taster if you haven't seen any