Peter Beardsley | Vital Football

Peter Beardsley

McCreery

Vital 1st Team Regular
The mention of 'greats' like Maradona and Messi has always made me think of Beardsley and how seemingly underated he was.....

What a playing career...

Last edited:
Tremendous player , crazy that he was nearly lost to the game with Manchester United passing on him.

Shame what he's become.

Don't think Beardsley was ever underrated by the supporters of any club he played for, they all thought he was a fantastic player, and rightly so.

However, he was not in the same league as Maradona, or Pele, either Ronaldo, Messi etc etc.

The Maradona documentary is on C4 tonight, for anyone who hasn't seen it, they should at least get it recorded, wonderful.

I always think it's very disrespectful to a team to say a player "singlehandedly" won anything, but if were ever the case, Maradona is the example.

Napoli had never won a Scudetto before he arrived. They won two in four years once he had settled there, one season doing their domestic double. They also won the UEFA Cup.

His stats at the 86 World Cup are ridiculous. He scored or assisted more Argentina goals than the rest of the team combined. Look up where the rest of that squad played their club football, they had no right to be even challenging for a World Cup.

He almost pulled off the same at Italia 90.

Maradona's legacy and career is not defined by a handball, the same as Shearer's is not defined by booting Neil Lennon in the head.

All football fans worldwide would have Maradona in their top five, or three, of all time greats. I'd be surprised if anyone outside of Newcastle (and maybe Liverpool), would have Beardsley in their top 50.

Love Beardsley, greatest NUFC player in my lifetime, not good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Maradona though.

No shame in that.

Not good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Maradona in your opinion

I'll compare the two as much as I like thanks

Yeah - let's not forget about Maradona being a drug taking cheat though (a cheat on more than one occasion)

I cant think of another English player who could regularly score special goals as consistently as Beardsley

Not only that he was always fully committed and would do the hard work at the other end as well

Like I say - he's right up there with any of the greats in my mind

He was 34 when he was sent home from USA 94. Well past his best and hardly his legacy.

His other 'cheat' moment was 8 years earlier, and surpassed four minutes later by the greatest goal in the history of the World Cup Finals.

I said above how much I loved Beardsley as a player, not doubting any of it. He himself would laugh at the comparison with Maradona though.

I wonder if Maradona ever played in goal like Beardsley did? A couple of memories from the game for me were, the 2nd goal he went passed the lad from Seaham, Fenwick who had already been booked and wouldn't put a tackle in. Peter Reid was next, not the quickest as shown and then Terry Butcher before slotting it in. Second point was the manager not bringing on Barnes earlier. The game changed as soon as he came on and how Lineker didn't equalise at the death when he failed to connect with a header only he knows. The political situation after the 'Falklands War' added to the hatred of the English and really we were up against it from the off. It's in the past now and for me it didn't hurt as much for me as earlier World Cup years.

I wonder if Maradona ever played in goal like Beardsley did? A couple of memories from the game for me were, the 2nd goal he went passed the lad from Seaham, Fenwick who had already been booked and wouldn't put a tackle in. Peter Reid was next, not the quickest as shown and then Terry Butcher before slotting it in. Second point was the manager not bringing on Barnes earlier. The game changed as soon as he came on and how Lineker didn't equalise at the death when he failed to connect with a header only he knows. The political situation after the 'Falklands War' added to the hatred of the English and really we were up against it from the off. It's in the past now and for me it didn't hurt as much for me as earlier World Cup years.

Yeah, I backed up my claims with facts and figures.

You back up your claim asking if Maradona ever went in goal away at West Ham.

MCreery backs his claim asking if Maradona ever "tracked back".

Tsk!

I'm not getting in any argument with previous posts Neppos. It's a recollection of me watching the game and throwing that snippet in. I admire your recollection of the game when Beardsley went in goal. Was it 0-8 or 1-8 ? I remember it was a Monday evening game.

What 'claim' you nugget??

I've offered up my opinion - you'll be telling me I like the wrong genre of music next

You accepting Maradona cheated in 2 world cups doesn't excuse him - he CHEATED in 2 world cups - that makes him a CHEAT

*puts Chas & Dave back on*

What 'claim' you nugget??

I've offered up my opinion - you'll be telling me I like the wrong genre of music next

You accepting Maradona cheated in 2 world cups doesn't excuse him - he CHEATED in 2 world cups - that makes him a CHEAT

*puts Chas & Dave back on*

Jesus wept.

The claim Maradona was one of the best, EVER.

And Beardsley not so much.

As said, backed it up with facts. You've just huffed. Go to bed. 😄

I'm not getting in any argument with previous posts Neppos. It's a recollection of me watching the game and throwing that snippet in. I admire your recollection of the game when Beardsley went in goal. Was it 0-8 or 1-8 ? I remember it was a Monday evening game.

I remember listening to it on the radio with Charles Harrison commentating. He even raved over one of Beardsley's saves. Still to this day I cant believe how and why i put myself through that and continued to listen. Was it not Chris Hedworth in goal before Beardsley or has my mind gone completely gaga? If not then surely it must have been him that scored our consolation.

In my opinion there’s nothing that Maradonna could do that Beardsley couldn’t both on and off a football pitch. Both are/were absolute shit houses and both were exceptional footballers. Maradonna got more limelight and that’s the only difference for me.

In my opinion there’s nothing that Maradonna could do that Beardsley couldn’t both on and off a football pitch. Both are/were absolute shit houses and both were exceptional footballers. Maradonna got more limelight and that’s the only difference for me.

Gazza was better than both.

One could easily argue that Maradonna was simply a charlie fueled Beardsley. We will never know the extent to which his cheating influenced his performances.