performance coach warns of Jose effect... | Vital Football

performance coach warns of Jose effect...

Spursex

Alert Team
Jose Mourinho Comments Could Be Harming Spurs Players’ Ability To Perform – Sports Performance Coach

06/04/2021 - 16:24 BST

INSIDE FUTBOL

Sports performance coach Jeremy Lazarus has indicated that the Tottenham Hotspur players are being tentative on the pitch due to Jose Mourinho’s penchant for criticising them in public.

Mourinho produced another bit of controversy after Tottenham dropped points at Newcastle at the weekend when he indicated that he is not to be blamed for his side failing to hold onto a win at St. James’ Park.

It was not the first time this season that the Spurs manager has absolved himself of any blame for Tottenham’s poor performances and have even lashed out at individual players such as Dele Alli in public.

Lazarus stressed that he is not going to criticise the methods of a manager of Mourinho’s calibr,e but insisted that there is always a psychological effect on players when they know that they are going to be publicly criticised by their manager if they make any mistake.

He feels players will be more tolerant towards criticism if they believe their managers are being honest with them behind the curtains.

The sports performance coach told Yahoo Sports: “I don’t know Jose Mourinho, he is a very successful manager so I am not going to criticise him in any way.

“It is completely feasible that if you go into a match thinking you might get hung out to dry or might be criticised in some way, either individually or collectively, that could affect the way you perform.

“There is much evidence about the impact on performance of ‘psychological safety’, the idea that to you need to feel ‘safe’ enough to perform at your best.

“It is a paradox, if you know that if you go out and make a mistake you are going to be OK, then you are less likely to make a mistake.

“If you are on edge and thinking, ‘If I make a mistake, not only am I letting the team down but I am going to get criticised publicly’, then it’s more likely that you are going to be a bit scared and make bad decisions.

“Managers have to be tough sometimes but when the players know he is being straight with them and totally supportive they are more willing to accept fair criticism.”

Mourinho’s tendency to regularly blame his players for poor performances has attracted severe criticism from many pundits.

Jose Mourinho Comments Could Be Harming Spurs Players’ Ability To Perform – Sports Performance Coach

06/04/2021 - 16:24 BST

INSIDE FUTBOL

Sports performance coach Jeremy Lazarus has indicated that the Tottenham Hotspur players are being tentative on the pitch due to Jose Mourinho’s penchant for criticising them in public.

Mourinho produced another bit of controversy after Tottenham dropped points at Newcastle at the weekend when he indicated that he is not to be blamed for his side failing to hold onto a win at St. James’ Park.

It was not the first time this season that the Spurs manager has absolved himself of any blame for Tottenham’s poor performances and have even lashed out at individual players such as Dele Alli in public.

Lazarus stressed that he is not going to criticise the methods of a manager of Mourinho’s calibr,e but insisted that there is always a psychological effect on players when they know that they are going to be publicly criticised by their manager if they make any mistake.

He feels players will be more tolerant towards criticism if they believe their managers are being honest with them behind the curtains.

The sports performance coach told Yahoo Sports: “I don’t know Jose Mourinho, he is a very successful manager so I am not going to criticise him in any way.

“It is completely feasible that if you go into a match thinking you might get hung out to dry or might be criticised in some way, either individually or collectively, that could affect the way you perform.

“There is much evidence about the impact on performance of ‘psychological safety’, the idea that to you need to feel ‘safe’ enough to perform at your best.

“It is a paradox, if you know that if you go out and make a mistake you are going to be OK, then you are less likely to make a mistake.

“If you are on edge and thinking, ‘If I make a mistake, not only am I letting the team down but I am going to get criticised publicly’, then it’s more likely that you are going to be a bit scared and make bad decisions.

“Managers have to be tough sometimes but when the players know he is being straight with them and totally supportive they are more willing to accept fair criticism.”

Mourinho’s tendency to regularly blame his players for poor performances has attracted severe criticism from many pundits.
Diddums. The money they are on, man up and respond on the pitch.

The players are being professional but it can't be easy working to his exacting standards.

80's statement rings true. Poch ran his 1st team into the ground, Mo at the very least is trying to spread the load.

I'm the first to say players need to give nothing less than 100% when they don the Lilly White, regardless of the managers input and outside distractions.

HOWEVER, when you're talking about operating at optimum performance, playing to a game plan, possibly playing out of position, and the spot light (media/fans) shining in your eyes the entire time, then proper coaching, individual man management and motivation is paramount.

JM publicly naming and shaming players is a definite no no and does nothing positive for team spirit. Add this to his archaic wishy washy tactics and you have confidence stripping recipe sure to disappoint.

Forget about Poch and his high pressure training sessions. That's all in the past and we should've learned from it. A modern day squad is full of fragile egos that require nurturing and an incredible amount of mentoring to extract their best. I'm not say we treat them like china dolls, but there is a balance that few managers can actually achieve.

The game has changed and Jose has not. I'd probably go as far as to say that SAF would struggle in todays game to have the same impact he did all those years ago.

Jeremy Lazarus has simply stated the bleeding obvious

Rio Ferdinand questions Jose Mourinho comments blaming Spurs players for form

By Sammy Wynne | 10h

jose-mourinho.jpg

© Reuters

Rio Ferdinand has questioned comments made by Jose Mourinho which appeared to put the blame on his Tottenham Hotspur players for the team's Premier League form.
Spurs let a 2-1 lead slip five minutes from time on Sunday, allowing Joe Willock to equalise and earn a point for struggling Newcastle United at St James' Park.
When questioned over why his tactics were no longer working effectively following the game, Mourinho responded "same coach, different players", leaving the footballing world to interpret what he meant by this.

Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand believes that such comments will lead to problems in the dressing room between the Spurs players and manager.
"Part of me understands Jose Mourinho. He has an ego, like all of us. He has pride and when you attack him he comes out fighting. I respect that a lot, I've got to say," he told his FIVE Youtube channel.

"But in these situations, sometimes he thinks about himself before anything else. He maybe doesn't think in that moment about the impact that can have on the changing room.
"If I'm a player in that changing room, that is definitely casting doubt over me as an individual and us as a team. What that does to a changing room, man, it doesn't galvanise them or bring them on side.
"It creates a rift, especially when you're not getting results. If you're winning and top of the league, you can say and get away with these type of things, but not when you're looking for confidence and searching for consistency.
"He's not bringing the players on side with those comments, man. That's why I fear for Mourinho and his squad, because those comments don't bring people alongside him."
Spurs currently sit sixth in the Premier League table, three points off West Ham United in fourth with eight league games to play.

Well Pochettino certainly hurt their performance as well.

This is a naffing witch hunt.

This has nothing to do with Poch, that was almost two years ago - we can't keep making excuses for Jose's handling of the players and of poor results for ever.

At what point do we simply look at what Jose has done/not done and say - that's down to him, or do we only ever do that when we perform well?

It's not a witch hunt, it's about being honest and open about what he has and has not done.

The players are being professional but it can't be easy working to his exacting standards.

80's statement rings true. Poch ran his 1st team into the ground, Mo at the very least is trying to spread the load.

You're from an old generation, 'man-up' is ancient history, we are now mainly dealing with what some prefer to call the 'snowflake' generation.

If you've got any sense and smarts about you, you adapt, if you haven't, expect exactly the sort of responses Jose is getting.

Read Rio's comments and he isn't exactly one to behave and think like a snowflake.

To be a successful man-manager these days, 'man-up' as a management philosophy doesn't cut it., it just marks you out as a dinosaur.

Last edited:
You're from an old generation, 'man-up' is ancient history, we are now mainly dealing with what some prefer to call the 'snowflake' generation.

If you've got any sense and smarts about you, you adapt, if you haven't, expect exactly the sort of responses Jose is getting.

Read Rio's comments and he isn't exactly one to behave and think like a snowflake.

To be a successful man-manger these days, 'man-up' as a management philosophy doesn't cut it., it just marks you out as a dinosaur.

Unfortunately, this is correct, and the prima donnas are the worst.

God forbid they should face adversity in their lives.

Unfortunately, this is correct, and the prima donnas are the worst.

God forbid they should face adversity in their lives.

I cannot tell you how many businesses are now suffering from employees claiming 'mental health difficulties' - for many (of course not all) it is a scam in itself, for others they have been unable to cope with the consequences of lockdown. e.g stress (who hasn't been stressed at work?!) is now classed as a disability and the employer is basically fcuked if that's the claim...

God forbid if you ask them to 'man up!' lol!

Nick your statement, though it may have some truth in it, them 12 words put the players in a no win situation, between a rock and a hard place.

Think about it! go out n do as your words say...result keep JM, which is bloody obvious they do not want.

Down tools if you like...result maybe lose JM, get what they want, but also get their fans all over their back, so they just cannot win.

I'm the first to say players need to give nothing less than 100% when they don the Lilly White, regardless of the managers input and outside distractions.

HOWEVER, when you're talking about operating at optimum performance, playing to a game plan, possibly playing out of position, and the spot light (media/fans) shining in your eyes the entire time, then proper coaching, individual man management and motivation is paramount.

JM publicly naming and shaming players is a definite no no and does nothing positive for team spirit. Add this to his archaic wishy washy tactics and you have confidence stripping recipe sure to disappoint.

Forget about Poch and his high pressure training sessions. That's all in the past and we should've learned from it. A modern day squad is full of fragile egos that require nurturing and an incredible amount of mentoring to extract their best. I'm not say we treat them like china dolls, but there is a balance that few managers can actually achieve.

The game has changed and Jose has not. I'd probably go as far as to say that SAF would struggle in todays game to have the same impact he did all those years ago.

Jeremy Lazarus has simply stated the bleeding obvious
Behonest Hod, I think SAF saw it coming and that is one of the reasons he got out.

Nick your statement, though it may have some truth in it, them 12 words put the players in a no win situation, between a rock and a hard place.

Think about it! go out n do as your words say...result keep JM, which is bloody obvious they do not want.

Down tools if you like...result maybe lose JM, get what they want, but also get their fans all over their back, so they just cannot win.

I recall when Chelsea's players (who'd won just about everything) were sick of him and incredibly just before he was sacked were toying with the relegation zone - I wonder if 'man up' applied to them to.

Half the squad hated him by them, the other half tried to avoid him, until they all agreed they were sick of him and went straight to the murderous Russian to let them know their thoughts.

Jesus am beginning to realise, no that's wrong, its more I am really grateful that I closed my business down when I did, as a straight as a dye type person, always give honest opinions, I would have been reported weekly, may even dayly for my "smart jibes/digs" lol!

Though thinking back, I saw this coming, around the 2004's, 3 apprentices refused to do tea break errands, for the tradesmen/women, and make the brews, even sweep up the tea huts, normal stuff in the old days, my reaction get ya kit n tools and eff off.

It is becoming a very sad place.

I recall when Chelsea's players (who'd won just about everything) were sick of him and incredibly just before he was sacked were toying with the relegation zone - I wonder if 'man up' applied to them to.

Half the squad hated him by them, the other half tried to avoid him, until they all agreed they were sick of him and went straight to the murderous Russian to let them know their thoughts.
Agreed Ex, basically what I said, did well...kept him, so eff it! downed tools the next season...result JM sacked.

I have to add, regards the 3 apprentices, I did have a lot of youngster's who did as they were asked, and became very good disciplined tradesmen/women, or should that be tradespeople lol! so basically it isn't all of them.

Jesus am beginning to realise, no that's wrong, its more I am really grateful that I closed my business down when I did, as a straight as a dye type person, always give honest opinions, I would have been reported weekly, may even dayly for my "smart jibes/digs" lol!

Though thinking back, I saw this coming, around the 2004's, 3 apprentices refused to do tea break errands, for the tradesmen/women, and make the brews, even sweep up the tea huts, normal stuff in the old days, my reaction get ya kit n tools and eff off.

It is becoming a very sad place.
I refused, at any point in my working life, to be an errand boy or get teas for anybody. Needless to say I didn't get very far in those 'careers'.

Then again, until I started working for myself, I was never happy at work anyway.

Agreed Ex, basically what I said, did well...kept him, so eff it! downed tools the next season...result JM sacked.

The players shouldn't get to decide they want their manager sacked . If they try to engineer it, they should be dropped then sold.
Hugo is a winner and called them a disgrace.Jose is a winner and calls them out.