Peaky Blinders | Vital Football

Peaky Blinders

SKEGGY

Bringer Of The Seasons
This is a new drama series. Starts on Thursday on BBC2 at 9pm. It's set just after the 1st World War and is about criminal gangs around Small Heath. Apparently the gang problem was horrendous, in this period.

Well worth a watch if your into local history

One of the producers is a friend of mine, she gave me one of the cloth caps they used in the series :)

Also Andy Bevan of ITV interviewed me last week (via Skype) about my great grandfather, Billy Kimber, who left the Peaky Blinders to form his own gang, the Brummagem Boys. He was probably the biggest gangster in Britain at that time. I've also been speaking to Carl Chinn, he was unaware that Kimber had any kids, so he was very interested in my family history. My interview I think is due for broadcast on 12 Sept. Kimber was born in Aston, as were all my mum's family, hence my support of the club despite being bought up in Small Heath territory.

If anyone is wondering why they are called Peaky Blinders its due to the fact they sewed razor blades into the peaks of their caps. I'm sure you can work out the rest.

According to Chinn the razor sewed into the cap is complete myth. 'Blinders' in this sense is similar to 'playing a blinder' or dazzling, because they were elegantly dressed.

Never let truth get in the way of a good story! :) But it's great a series based in Birmingham is getting this sort of publicity, as the writer said recently, as far as the London media are concerned, Brum hasn't got a low profile, it's totally invisible. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be Crossroads in cloth caps.

The Brummagem Boys had a territory stretching right across the country, bigger than any London gang between the wars. How many people know that?

So, I'll be on the telly (ITV Central news) about 6pm tomorrow talking about my gangster ancestor with reporter Andy Bevan :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417281/The-real-Peaky-Blinders-Victorian-gang-terrorised-streets-Birmingham-sewed-razor-blades-caps-headbutt-rivals.html

I wonder if they will throw in any footy references. Hope so as we were the kings of football back then lol.

My interview will also be on the ITV interweb, I'll post the link when I have it. The tv series is set after WW1 but the Peaky Blinders were finished by then, overtaken by great grandpapy Billy and his Brummagem Boys. That's a much more interesting story imo, because they became a national gang, not just local to Brum. They also kept the Italian mafia gangs at bay.

Great stuff Saurat, look forward to seeing your interview.

Does anyone which actor is playing Jonah?

Anyone see Saurat on the tele.
I was at work so i missed it.
And ive recorded Peaky Blinders.Worth watching or not ?