Paulo Gazzaniga - Player Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Paulo Gazzaniga - Player Thread

Spursex - 24/8/2017 18:51

Kinygerbils - 24/8/2017 17:16

Him being second choice at a club like Spurs would be a joke.

Him being at a club like Spurs full stop is a joke.

It most certainly doesn't look like an inspired signing - I made a call to a friend who's judgement I respect, and he seemed to think that he's much better than people think and he can understand why we signed him as he's got huge potential.

I'm as baffled as you still to be honest, just hope this isn't a case of signing an old town boy for the sake of it.

Some players are amazing behind closed doors, but they can't cut it in front of a crowd, Maybe he's like that.

What happened with Lopez?

Matic - 24/8/2017 18:54

I must admit, I feel for the guy a bit because fan reaction has been very negative. He's still young for a keeper too so he might be coming to us at the best time.

Fair point. He is here now so we should back him. Fans myself included, going for him already is harsh. He is a big frame so who knows we may get a few more gears out of him yet.

Why did we sell McGhee? I thought he was really promising. Similarly, Lopez was talked up and having a future now he isn't with us.

The other thing that currently puzzles me in our recruitment is the matter of 'pace'. We all think we need it in the side, and in the last two seasons bought in two who have bags of it - the N'g brothers. The first one seemed to have no control over his legs when near a ball and was sold quickly, and then the second one (who put in some nice cameos) gest little game time.

Why do so many players (out of our limited budget) we buy not get game time and get moved on quickly? I heard someone say that we have to be 'clever' in our recruitement, and I really look forward to that starting.

Matic - 24/8/2017 18:54

I must admit, I feel for the guy a bit because fan reaction has been very negative. He's still young for a keeper too so he might be coming to us at the best time.

It doesn't help that it's been a such a quiet summer window for us, if there had been a few signings beforehand to concentrate on , this transfer wouldn't have enjoyed so much focus.

So now we know...the thinking behind it:

He's a last resort insurance policy.,..

" I think we need another keeper because we have Hugo Lloris and Michel Vorm. I think we have very good keepers in the academy, like Alfie [Whiteman] and Brandon [Austin], but they are still so young. The gap with Hugo and Michel was massive. I think Paolo was a perfect profile for us to bring. We know him from our period at Southampton.

He was the best keeper last season in the Championship, at Rayo Vallecano in Spain, and I think there’s no doubt about signing him and creating more competition in our goal."

Kinygerbils - 25/8/2017 14:03

Lopez looks to be heading to the Albion

I like this bit of his explanation, which strongly suggests they think more of him than they did Lopez;

He really can't be too shabby at all, and he's definitely young enough to improve:

"He was the best keeper last season in the Championship, at Rayo Vallecano in Spain, and I think there’s no doubt about signing him and creating more competition in our goal."

It's a chance for him to work with the best at one of the best. These opportunities are usually the making or breaking for keepers, and nothing in-between. The fact that Poch and his team liked working with him at Saints is a very good sign of him being a hard-worker with a good mentality - if nothing else.

I had to dig this one out from 80s deep files on players threads.
I tilt my hat to him for that performance against Liverpool. Some good saves and reactions. A dsmn good long pass to Son which almost became an assist.
Also his reaction on his interview, despite the attempt at praise he shunned it because it meant nothing with no points.
I may have been harsh on his level in the past thinking he was not PL standard. Now I question my judgement. On that performance and if he keeps it up....who knows he could save us a lot of money and become our number one ?

He did very well. I was actually impressed.

Long way to go if he is to prove he is our new number 1. It takes a season of lots of games proving how good you are, not just a few games.

I do like his foot work and goal kicks. He did well with his shot stopping yesterday but I have seen him being beaten with ease many a time.

He does have a boot on him. A couple of times I thought he was chipping the back line only to watch the ball sail well over the half way line, does not need a run up. He must be fast twitch..

It's too soon. Keepers have day likes Gazzaniga did and it's not their level. Mostly they have them games against us actually. I thought he was fantastic by the way. But hold fire. I think I recall Messi saying he thought Frazier Forester was one of the greatest goalkeepers he'd ever seen.

Get Jennings in to show him how to catch a ball...Jennings hardly ever parried it.
How many times did he rise and catch the ball ONE HANDED . Unbelievable .
How often did the Kop stand and applaud him for his performances up there . Apart from his first two months with us , when he couldn’t catch a cold , he was genuinely world class

Did the construction of the ball in those days have anything to do with it bring easier to catch ?

Someone else might correct me but my guess would be not necessarily easier to catch but probably harder to parry. Had to put more on them for them to move.

as for Gazza I withheld my judgment when everyone was saying he was better than Hugo when he had his first run in the team, and I withheld when people were saying he's not PL level. As RD says you can't judge a keeper over such a short time. For me he's put in enough motm performances when called upon for me to be cautiously optimistic that with confidence and a run he'll be a more than adequate job while Hugo is out. That said we all know with keepers that it only takes one bad game and a confidence dip for them to go backwards at a rate of knots.

I always rated his distribution more than Hugo's, he again showed why. That's not the first time he's picked out a runner and created a chance direct from GK for us, last time we scored it... Shame Sonny couldn't have been more clinical this time as it might have completely changed the game

I think the fact Hugo makes so many mistakes and has declined has made this transition easier. Hugo has made more mistakes than any keeper or out field player in the last 3 years. That is an appalling stat and has shown how far he has fallen.

Unless Gaz really has some stinkers we should play him now. Give him a run till the end of the season. We will know for sure then if he has what it takes.