Paul Hurst | Page 2 | Vital Football

Paul Hurst

Can't see it at all. Surely they need someone with knowledge of the Football League? Even further from their Essex homes. A really unattractive place to work. Inadequate training facilities. Job security of a kind at Lincoln, they have created something here; could be fired by Grimsby very quickly, his career as a manager would take a huge hit. They would have to be nuts.

Lots of unemployed ex FL managers about who would take the cods job
You'd think they'd want a bit of experience to get a mid table finish this year
Stranger things have happened but I doubt our man is of genuine interest to them

If Paul Hurst wasn't able to recruit a fitness coach then Fenty isn't going to pay compensation and then a whole back room team. Sorry but it's a non starter.

He's odds on favourite at the bookies so someone knows something. And all these people giving reasons why he wouldn't or shouldn't leave us for Grimsby sound a lot like the Braintree fans when he was linked with us and look what happened there.

I fear the worst.

I don't. Grimsby getting promoted wasn't good enough for some Grimsby fans as far as their opinion of Hurst was concerned. We gave the team and Cowley a great ovation after 0-0 on Sat. I can only imagine th chorus of boos that would have generated at BP. There's very limited pressure here and zero risk of the sack and maximum opportunity to enhance the CV.

5 months and the team is close to 'on method'. I feel pretty confident that the Cowleys will see this season out.

Apparantly a member of our board (who's name i won't disclose!) was telling people in the pub last night that Grimsby have asked to speak to him and we can't refuse that.

Free to talk and free to leave are two very different things, be interested to know what clauses are in the contract.

If the board can demand compensation, they need to make it clear that for Grimsby it would be a ridiculous sum they can't afford. We shouldn't stand in their way for most FL clubs but letting the Cowleys go there would be commercial suicide. Attendances would take a masssive hit for starters. And look at all the sponsors who have come on board since they started.

Gaz_Imp - 25/10/2016 09:09

Free to talk and free to leave are two very different things, be interested to know what clauses are in the contract.

If the board can demand compensation, they need to make it clear that for Grimsby it would be a ridiculous sum they can't afford. We shouldn't stand in their way for most FL clubs but letting the Cowleys go there would be commercial suicide. Attendances would take a masssive hit for starters. And look at all the sponsors who have come on board since they started.

If there is a compensation clause in their contracts I would imagine it is a set in stone figure not a figure for every club and more for Grimsby.

Impartiality - 25/10/2016 09:23

Gaz_Imp - 25/10/2016 09:09

If there is a compensation clause in their contracts I would imagine it is a set in stone figure not a figure for every club and more for Grimsby.

I would also guess that. But we don't know if such a clause exists is what I was getting at. If it doesn't, we can demand as we see fit. And I'd demand more from a local rival team!

If Grimsby are sniffing about it would be nice if the club showed some ambition and offered to improve the brothers current contract in terms of finance and length of tenure. The worry is if they do go that Woodyard, Raggett, and all the others follow them in January.

I don't think DC would build his own squad and jump ship after barely 3 months of the season gone.

What signal would that send to say, Elliot Whitehouse who has just signed for us? I'm sure DC would have persuaded him to come here for less money in order to improve his game.

I would be more worried if this situation arose in March/April time and we weren't competing for any end of season honours.

Non-starter for me, give it a couple of days and the real favourites will start to appear in the odds.

As I wrote on another thread last evening "they'd have to be crazy to leave for Grimsby and they seem anything but crazy to me".
As far as "Lincoln fans sounding like Braintree fans" there's a world of difference between the two. The Cowleys were school teachers working in their spare time at a small part-time club when the offer to move to Sincil Bank (and several other offers) was made to them. It was a huge step to give up their teaching careers but the chance of going full-time at a club with the potential of LCFC was too tempting to resist. Moving from LCFC to GTFC would have no such attraction. They'd be going between clubs of fairly equal size but swapping a very possible promotion on their c.v.'s for a relegation battle. Trying to run in ill-fitting shoes surely appeals less than a gentler paced progress into The Football League over the next seven months or so.
The Cowleys have been wonderfully supported by Mr Nates and the rest of those at the club. They have been able to bring in numerous players from their wish list and put together a squad that can go up as champions this season. As for the club showing some ambition-well they certainly have, both in appointing the Cowleys and backing them. I wouldn't have thought it necessary to offer improved terms right now but a very large bonus for delivering promotion might well be added if it isn't already there.
I have thought all along that the only reason the Cowleys might choose to leave before this season is out would be a good offer from a bigger club in the South-East or family problems. I just don''t see Grimsby Town as an attractive option for the brothers.

Seem a bit weird to jump ship so early. Hardly going to look good on them if they leave Braintree after a year and us after 6 months.

When he joined us, he spoke about 'adding value'. Taking Lincoln back to the FL would certainly satisfy that, but how exactly could he add value at Grimsby, at least in the short term? Just can't see it. Lincoln have been very good to the two of them, and they have been good for Lincoln; but after 5 months, the job has only just begun.

To be honest one look at the fishy forum should reveal to the Cowley brothers they would be very unwise to go to GTFC.
Their fans are less than impressed with those candidates being mentioned, including the Cowleys. They are genuinely looking for a "big name" to push for the play offs this year and not one of them thinks the Cowleys are up to it.
Conversely the Cowleys have the potential to become club legends at Lincoln, they have already built a good squad and rapport with the fans and to leave before a proper push for promotion has been tried would be very short sighted. Especially to a club whose potential is no different to the one your already at and whose fans are distinctly underwhelmed with the prospect of your arrival.
No its quite clear both Danny and Nicky would be well advised to stay here and finish the excellent job they have started...

Grimsby are one goal outside the league two play off places. I'm sure he would believe he could at least get them into the play offs and then who knows, this time next year he's a league one manager.
Football is fairly ruthless, say he misses out on promotion here this season and gets off to a bad start next season, suddenly the football league seems a long way away. He might be of the mind to take the opportunity whilst it's there.
I sincerely hope he stays and I have no knowledge to say he won't but we have to be realistic that Lincoln City isn't the end goal for the Cowleys, just a stepping stone along the way. He might be off quicker then we'd like.

SIMJON - 25/10/2016 08:58

Apparantly a member of our board (who's name i won't disclose!) was telling people in the pub last night that Grimsby have asked to speak to him and we can't refuse that.

It is one thing to speculate about something you know nothing about but its really poor form to write rubbish like that. Nobody at Grimsby has approached anyone at Lincoln City.

SAToffeeImp - 25/10/2016 11:17

It is one thing to speculate about something you know nothing about but its really poor form to write rubbish like that. Nobody at Grimsby has approached anyone at Lincoln City.

In that case i apologise. I wasn't there and was told this by someone who claims they were. Maybe they are being mischeivious or got the wrong end of the stick. I can see them from here so i may wander over.

SIMJON - 25/10/2016 11:33

In that case i apologise. I wasn't there and was told this by someone who claims they were. Maybe they are being mischeivious or got the wrong end of the stick. I can see them from here so i may wander over.

You should go over and shout: "You damned liar!" :pointy:

Thanks Clive for the firm response to that rumour.

Business as usual at Sincil Bank today, 3 points tonight hopefully, UTI!