Parrott encouragment from Lambert | Vital Football

Parrott encouragment from Lambert

Spursex

Alert Team
Manager believes Spurs have a talent on their hands after watching him close-up

By
Bharad Thirumalai

February 9, 2021

Ipswich Town boss Paul Lambert has praised Troy Parrott after the striker put in an impressive debut performance debut for the League One club.
Parrott has endured a frustrating campaign so far after his loan spell at Millwall did not go according to plan in the first half of the season.

The striker missed the first couple of months of the campaign through injury and struggled to establish himself as a starter for Gary Rowett’s side after returning to fitness.
The 18-year-old failed to score in 14 appearances for the Lions and was subsequently recalled by Spurs, who decided that the youngster needed to drop down a division after he sealed a deadline day move to Ipswich.

The Spurs academy graduate has experienced a much better start to his spell at Portman Road after he played 70 minutes on debut and helped his side to a 2-0 win over Blackpool.
On the back of Parrott’s performance on Saturday, Lambert claimed that Tottenham could have a major talent on their hands if the teenager continues developing in the right way.

The Ipswich boss told the club’s official website: “Some of the football was good and Parrott did really well upfront.
“He showed some excellent movement and footwork.
“If he progresses the way I think he will then Tottenham could have a very good player on their hands.”

Thats very encouraging to hear. Lets hope he stays injury free and gets some well needed game time to prove he can take the back up Striker role if we send Vini back to Benfica

Thats very encouraging to hear. Lets hope he stays injury free and gets some well needed game time to prove he can take the back up Striker role if we send Vini back to Benfica

He really needs a good solid period to make an impression to get back into squad contention for next season.

Huge second half of the season for him, and us.

I suspect a few said that about Kane in his early years.

I'd been watching Kane for years and always knew he could make the grade and funnily enough, after his loan to Millwall, they did too!

Although I did in his early career describe him like 'bambi on ice at times' and said he has to build his upper strength and toughen up - both of which he did.

It would be great to see Parrott make it, we need another top-class striker to come through, but not sure it will be him - as always with youngsters, only time will tell!

He just got his first and second goals for Ireland tonight against the mighty Andorra.

And no, I didn't watch the game. God help anyone who would endure that.

He just got his first and second goals for Ireland tonight against the mighty Andorra.

And no, I didn't watch the game. God help anyone who would endure that.

That's great news. He's gonna be one of those who will need to get going in pre-season whilst all the Euro's internationals are away.

'To do that shows the character he has' - Stephen Kenny hails Parrott after 'over the moon' striker nets double

Ireland manager Stephen Kenny picked up his first win in charge over Andorra. Photo by Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

June 03 2021 07:54 PM

Stephen Kenny hailed teenager Troy Parrott for saving his blushes with a two-goal delivery which was the turning point in transforming a potential loss to Andorra into a 4-1 win.

But the Irish boss admitted that the concession of a goal to Andorra, ranked as the sixth-worst team in Europe, and a poor first-half display from his midfield, were concerns as he called for the Republic to up their game ahead of Tuesday's test against a Hungary side who are preparing for the Euro 2020 finals.

Parrott was a key player for Kenny in his time as U-21 manager and it was the two goals from the former Belvedere player which set Ireland on their way, overturning that 1-0 deficit against the minnows.

"I don't know how it's our first win, we should have won several games and I can't believe we didn't win some of the games we played in," Kenny told RTE.

"It's a game you are expected to win, no doubt about that, but in saying that, once you concede a goal like that, with the run we are in, there was a fair bit of pressure on the players, so to come back in the manner that they did was excellent, to come back and score four goals, and there was real quality in the goals.

"The difference that confidence can make, Troy's goal was a turning point, the players seemed to be more confident after Troy got that goal and we played much better after that.

"For one so young to come up with two goals when he’s not having an exceptional time in his own career, he’s just finding his feet, to do that showed the character I believe he has, and the quality."

Kenny admitted that the first-half display was well below par in the midfield areas. "We watched their recent games and they’ve not been giving up many chances. They’re well-drilled," he added.

"Their goal is a disappointment because it doesn’t look like a free kick. And to concede a goal like that is disappointing because we pride ourselves on not conceding from a set-piece like that. It was a kick in the teeth but the players responded.

"Our midfield four didn’t play well as a quartet. We just generally found them hard to break down and be cohesive. They’re a difficult opponent but in the second half our midfield was excellent, they did very well.

"We needed to believe in how the players trained because they trained exceptionally well but it needed to be put into practice and in the last half hour they did for sure and the players can take confidence from that.

"It was good that the three of them scored. Jason [Knight] and Daryl [Horgan] got their first as well as Troy getting two. But regardless of who scored it was just important that we scored goals because we had a period when we couldn’t score.

"Now we’ve scored seven [in the last four games] but it’s a stiffer test against Hungary of course. They’re going to the Euros, they’ve been in camp 10 days before this week as well. They’ll be well drilled and we’ll have to be at our best on Tuesday."

Meanwhile, two-goal hero Troy Parrott admitted his relief after his goals helped Ireland overcome a possible embarrassment away to Andorra and come away with a 4-1 win.

And the Tottenham man hopes the win, the first victory under Stephen Kenny, will add confidence to the side after a 12-game run without a victory, Parrott with the equalising goal after that shock lead for Andorra and then a second to give Ireland breathing space.

"I'm just delighted," Parrott told RTE after the game.

"I'm over the moon, when the second one went in I was so relieved, even the first one, it was the first goal we got in a couple of games.

"Once I got the ball and saw the space in front of me I just wanted to go, it would be silly to turn down the chance to go and I was relieved to see the goal hit the back of the net, it changed the way the game was going.

"Their goal, it goes to show how something so small can change the way the game is going, the free kick was poor on our behalf but the most important thing was we stayed in the game and ended up winning.

"It's a really young squad mixed with experience, the older lads are helping us a lot and this will give us confidence going into the next game and the qualifiers, hopefully we can keep goin and keep getting the wins."

Hes the Real Deal,believe me,young,skillful,full of confidence.That was a cracking finish to his 1st goal. Just hope our new manager gives him a decent chance,unlike Mourinho giving him 2 token cameos just to appease the fans and media.

That's great news. He's gonna be one of those who will need to get going in pre-season whilst all the Euro's internationals are away.
Yep would be good for him to have a good showing in preseason to put himself in the window for a championship loan. His last few loans haven't turned out that well on the face of it. Granted the experience is vital but let's hope to see him scoring more goals too next year

Watched bits and pieces of the match, was impressed with Parrott, not just the goals but his movement and laying things on for others was good to see.