Parker | Vital Football

Parker

No but it sounds like he was not putting in a full shift.

It is bad enough for a player to miss so many games to play international football for a small nation thousands of miles away and where they were not born.

If they compound that situation by performing under par for the club that pays their wages they really should start to look at themselves or, as one of the comments at the foot of that article says, they will find that they are soon playing non league.

I like Parker, IMO, he`s one of the most football savvy players in our squad. But we need all of our players to be hungry, all the time.

I like what SL said: “Sometimes it’s not the effort, it’s the way you put your effort in and that’s something I’ve got to have from everybody".

Parker`s a good player, at present, though, I`d rather see List and Hanlon partnering big Tom. When Mighty Mbo eventually stakes his claim in the team Josh will likely find himself another place down the queue.

Got to admit I was surprised by this.

Certainly during the Pennock/Taylor times, Parker was one of the few guys who appeared to put in the effort.

Frankly I'm also disappointed in SL airing this. Should have been kept private imho.

I’m not sure it does. As Lancs referenced:

“Sometimes it’s not the effort, it’s the way you put your effort in”

What does that mean though? Not training with a smile on his face? Or conversely being too chirpy?

Does seem a strange statement. I assume SL is talking about how he trains compared to playing or vice versa.

Don't think SL was necessarily wrong in bringing it out into the open, but I think if he was going to it would have been wise to name the culprits and also explain in simple English the reasons why he sent them home. That would save potentially innocent parties like Rees and Garmston getting wrongly labelled. It was a kind of last roll of the dice from SL almost in desperation IMO but it seems to have got a reaction, just wish he been a bit less vague.

I think to dig Parker out is very harsh. Josh has had a poor start to the season, was definitely better last season. However, I've never seen a lack of effort from him. As for the International duties, get over it, why would he turn down the opportunity to play international football? I'll await SteveTreacle's rant anyway on that point ha ha....

I'm equally baffled as SE1 as what SL means by "the way you put your effort in" tbh.

My thoughts are that this season, although Josh was still full of running, he was often caught out of position by chasing lost causes. A case of wasted effort rather than saving himself for smarter positional play. I like Josh and on his better days he does force the play and create opportunities. My guess is that he will get a run out in the cup on Saturday and hopefully use his opportunity to stake a regular first team place again.

What does that mean though? Not training with a smile on his face? Or conversely being too chirpy?

I read it as perhaps not being fully focussed or not having the bit between his teeth. You can put all the effort in the world in but if your head’s not right you’ll struggle to get the right results. Happens to us all and sounds like Lovell was right to do it if a bit of time and space has allowed Josh to regain the requisite focus. Lovell has welcomed him back with open arms which I doubt he would do if Josh hadnt been putting the effort in.

In terms of naming him as someone sent home - I think Lovell is correct to clear up the issue otherwise were left to incorrectly speculate as to who was sent home and why. Lovell himself is to blame for such speculation after going public about the issue but perhaps that was for effect.

Someone said he is digging Parker out. I don’t agree that that is the case.

I read the ‘it’s what you do with the effort’ the same as Vambo - you can give it your all chasing the ball around the pitch like a kid or you can concentrate your effort into specifically doing what the coaching team want you to do.

I don’t mind Lovell naming him as one of those sent home at a time like this. Had he done it at the time I felt it would’ve been a negative thing to do but now he’s saying it in a good old compliment sandwich. The same with Oldaker.

A lot of the pros have been benched at some point under Lovell’s reign. Eaves is especially notable for this. It’s interesting.

Regarding the "outing" of Parker, he's the only one who's been named in this context. And Lovell said it was playerS that he sent home.

I think therefore it is very unprofessional to name only one. We ASSUME that Wilkinson was another one. But that might not be true. He's not been named in this context.

So who were the others? Who's to say Rees and Garmeston weren't them?

Still believe that SL hasn't handled this well.

Regarding the "outing" of Parker, he's the only one who's been named in this context. And Lovell said it was playerS that he sent home.

I think therefore it is very unprofessional to name only one. We ASSUME that Wilkinson was another one. But that might not be true. He's not been named in this context.

I didn’t think it was a big secret any more who was sent home? Lovell spoke about it before/after our recent matches v Bradford and Fleetwood.

I read the ‘it’s what you do with the effort’ the same as Vambo - you can give it your all chasing the ball around the pitch like a kid or you can concentrate your effort into specifically doing what the coaching team want you to do.

I would imagine it's something like that. SL criticised Eaves and dropped him a while back saying that he was spending too much time and effort running around where he wasn't supposed to be. I suspect this is something similar.

Was never likely to only be Wilkinson as he has only started two league games this season. Admittedly it was just after the Plymouth game which he started but was substituted with a third of the game left.

If SL was trying to send a message to his regular team in order to break such a bad run of results, there would not be much point in singling out someone who has only been a fringe player anyway.

Hmm. If one of mine aren't performing I don't name and shame them, if someone did that to me on the trading floor I wouldn't have reacted well- quite the opposite... But then my business isn't football.

I know my people well enough to know who needs an arm around them and who needs a boot up the arse- I assume (hope) SL knows this too.

I think to dig Parker out is very harsh. Josh has had a poor start to the season, was definitely better last season. However, I've never seen a lack of effort from him. As for the International duties, get over it, why would he turn down the opportunity to play international football? I'll await SteveTreacle's rant anyway on that point ha ha....

I'm equally baffled as SE1 as what SL means by "the way you put your effort in" tbh.

I'm here!!!

I won't go around the same arguments, but I am a fan of Josh, but to summarise my views the point is he's not playing for "his" country and the level of international football he's playing at is probably of non league quality, certainly below the level of club football he's missing. Pragmatically, he is missing games for us on regular occasions and it's annoying - the likes of Hanlon, List, Charles-Cook and co aren't, so unless he is pulling up trees, he is rightly being dropped.

He looked like he had the bit between his teeth on Tuesday for the short period he was on. I hope he continues to do so and like Zak calls a day on his international career.

I didn’t think it was a big secret any more who was sent home? Lovell spoke about it before/after our recent matches v Bradford and Fleetwood.
Did he? I was unaware of that. And given the original post and certain ones on this thread, I assume others were as well.

Who did Lovell say had been sent home?

Parker will start on Saturday and will score - perhaps two or three. I can see Eaves being rested with the possibility of Mbo and List starting.

I'm here!!!

I won't go around the same arguments, but I am a fan of Josh, but to summarise my views the point is he's not playing for "his" country and the level of international football he's playing at is probably of non league quality, certainly below the level of club football he's missing. Pragmatically, he is missing games for us on regular occasions and it's annoying - the likes of Hanlon, List, Charles-Cook and co aren't, so unless he is pulling up trees, he is rightly being dropped.

He looked like he had the bit between his teeth on Tuesday for the short period he was on. I hope he continues to do so and like Zak calls a day on his international career.

Free jolly ups round the Caribbean- would you call time on that?!

Did he? I was unaware of that. And given the original post and certain ones on this thread, I assume others were as well.

Who did Lovell say had been sent home?
Just check out the past few pre-match and post-match interviews with Lovell on Kent Online. He doesn’t specifically say I sent so and so home, you have to read between the lines a bit and look at the past 3 matchday squads - as he said it would become clear who was told to stay away (Wilko).
He mentioned about Parker being sent away for a week to sort himself out, and some of the others too. There was a specific article on Rees and Stevenson I linked on here previously.
List was one they weren’t happy with prior to the Bradford game, but had long chat with him and he responded well.
One I’m not sure about is Garmston, Kettners said he picked up a training injury, but Lovell only mentions Callum Reilly as being injured.