Oxford v NUFC | Page 5 | Vital Football

Oxford v NUFC

2 poor teams, I thought Lascelles was poor, just his usual self to be fair.

He isn't that bad, he is part of a very good defensive unit and never in my time of following/supporting the team has there been a collective stronger defence. In current premier league centre halves there are very few stand out consistent centre halves. He makes mistakes like others do but we could name an awful lot worse that have played for us in his position .

The premiership is littered with poor teams and as much as many of supporters want to prove a point, we are not the worst.

There were at least five quality moments last night in what was overall a very entertaining game that we controlled in large parts and ultimately deserved to win.

The premiership is littered with poor teams and as much as many of supporters want to prove a point, we are not the worst.

There were at least five quality moments last night in what was overall a very entertaining game that we controlled in large parts and ultimately deserved to win.

I agree, but we were playing a team from the 3rd division.

Just not a very good footballer imho

Fair doo's - he gets singled out unfairly in my opinion - Yedlin is absolutely wank going forward and quite often leaves us exposed, the same could be said for Dummet but they rarely get a mention

It always seems like its necessary to point out when our 3.5 million captain has a bad game (even when he hasn't) - two excellent blocks the other night by the way

I just find it all a bit strange

I agree, but we were playing a team from the 3rd division.
Didn't they beat West Ham 4-0 in the league cup and give Man City a run for their money in the carabao cup ?

Don't get me wrong mind we are poor, but there is worse and that was a exiting game with great goals the other night.

For once a great point.

It is one of the joys of the cups that players and teams can raise their game and have the advantage of pitches that would never make the Premier League. Just as Alan Shoulder changed his life from Blyth Spartans to NUFC, so others have made a statement.

This year, we saw the Rochdale teenager, the lad that got a brace for Shrewsbury at Liverpool, the West Ham loanee and the fat lad with an amazing free kick did a job for Oxford.

Looking back, Graham Taylor had a cup run with Lincoln City that was unsurpassed until the season of his his death, won the cup with Watford and went on to manage England. Like Taylor, Martin O'Neill took Wycombe Wanderers trough a number of promotions and to an FA Cup semi before winning the League Cup with Leicester.

On the flip side of the coin, my cousin's ex husband I believe remains the only manager to take 2 non-league teams to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and retired as a painter and decorator. Also, both Bruce and Pardew managed teams to FA Cup finals.

For once a great point.

It is one of the joys of the cups that players and teams can raise their game and have the advantage of pitches that would never make the Premier League. Just as Alan Shoulder changed his life from Blyth Spartans to NUFC, so others have made a statement.

This year, we saw the Rochdale teenager, the lad that got a brace for Shrewsbury at Liverpool, the West Ham loanee and the fat lad with an amazing free kick did a job for Oxford.

Looking back, Graham Taylor had a cup run with Lincoln City that was unsurpassed until the season of his his death, won the cup with Watford and went on to manage England. Like Taylor, Martin O'Neill took Wycombe Wanderers trough a number of promotions and to an FA Cup semi before winning the League Cup with Leicester.

On the flip side of the coin, my cousin's ex husband I believe remains the only manager to take 2 non-league teams to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and retired as a painter and decorator. Also, both Bruce and Pardew managed teams to FA Cup finals.

When did he win the Cup with Watford, like?

He isn't that bad, he is part of a very good defensive unit and never in my time of following/supporting the team has there been a collective stronger defence. In current premier league centre halves there are very few stand out consistent centre halves. He makes mistakes like others do but we could name an awful lot worse that have played for us in his position .

Ooof . Quite right Lascelles isn't as bad as a lot make out but unless you've only been following a short time we've certainly had stronger defences. Woodgate and Bramble (for all his mistakes) was at times an immense partnership. Keegan's side that nearly won the title had a very good defensive record .

When did he win the Cup with Watford, like?
Apologies, made the final 1984.

Easy to get confused with Wimbledon 4 years later, considering the great FA Cup finalists we have bought, Beardsley, Barnes, Beasant and Thorn from 1988, Reilly Bailey and Barnes from 1984.

Last edited:
It was an enjoyable game better because we won with a cracking goal. We did make hard work of it though.