Oxford United (n/g but should be G!) | Vital Football

Oxford United (n/g but should be G!)

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
Number 1 daughter has just told me that my grandson has been invited for a trial for Oxford United juniors after scoring over 40 goals last season and awarded player of the season . She knows my opinion of Oxford but what can she do? She wants good advice because her son definitely has talent. But she knows little about football being a Northampton Saints rugby fan.

Number 1 daughter has just told me that my grandson has been invited for a trial for Oxford United juniors after scoring over 40 goals last season and awarded player of the season . She knows my opinion of Oxford but what can she do? She wants good advice because her son definitely has talent. But she knows little about football being a Northampton Saints rugby fan.

An Oxford fan on f/b was moaning today about their lack of a squad and no signings yet. Tell your daughter her boy should go for it. Might make the first XI this season 👍

Good luck to him whatever he does. Great to see a youngster excelling and enjoying his football.

Take every opportunity in life, and tell them to go for it! As I say to my kids, the is no failure in trying. The failure is not trying something, and then regretting it later...

I'll be in the minority here but if he's younger than a teenager then play with your mates, have fun and enjoy it. As a teenager if you have talent and want to dedicate yourself then go for it but only a tiny fraction make it through.

I'm not a fan of shattering kids dreams until they are old enough to understand it.

It would be interesting to ask Oxford how many NEW boys do they take on each year at his age group. That'll give yiu an idea of how many are cast aside as well.

Keep it fun until they are old enough to understand fully the difference between professional and amateur clubs.

Good luck to him though.

Well done the boy, but more importantly well done PhilK for openly grading his kids, anyone that says they don’t have a favourite is lying.
Ha ha. Not grading daughters. I have twins so Daughter number 1 refers to the fact she was born 20 minutes before number 2.

What is most heartbreaking about these sort of situations is when the parents watch their child scoring goals for fun at a local junior level, and then don't want to listen, and feel insulted, when a youth coach points out their limitations or say that they do not think they are likely to be good enough to make a living from football.

As Mark says, only a tiny fraction of kids make it, and that often depends on attitude, perseverance and/or how big they grow, rather than just the natural talent that they show as small children.

There is even a section of that tiny fraction that then proceed to throw it all away.

It always reminds me of the parents that think their progeny are going to end up being entertainers, celebrities or even stars.

Much better to keep feet on the ground and go with confidence but no high expectations. Hopefully, the lad and Phil's daughter and partner feel that way.

What is most heartbreaking about these sort of situations is when the parents watch their child scoring goals for fun at a local junior level, and then don't want to listen, and feel insulted, when a youth coach points out their limitations or say that they do not think they are likely to be good enough to make a living from football.

As Mark says, only a tiny fraction of kids make it, and that often depends on attitude, perseverance and/or how big they grow, rather than just the natural talent that they show as small children.

There is even a section of that tiny fraction that then proceed to throw it all away.

It always reminds me of the parents that think their progeny are going to end up being entertainers, celebrities or even stars.

Much better to keep feet on the ground and go with confidence but no high expectations. Hopefully, the lad and Phil's daughter and partner feel that way.
Your last paragraph sums up the situation perfectly.