Oxford tomorrow | Page 8 | Vital Football

Oxford tomorrow

I did say 'Could' make a difference.
Yes, actually I agree 100% with your statement Springy that vocal support could (and probably would) benefit the team and make a difference. I'm skeptical that the vocal support would be loud enough to drown out the inevitable negative voices at the moment. I was disagreeing with the assertion that fans being back would help, but you didn't make that assertion. Apologies.

Pie eater, I find some of your logic unfathomable. (Oh, and Obi is 19 by the way). To somehow try and illustrate your point, you pick out one of the best young players in England, rather cutely forgetting to consider all those youngsters who City have hoovered up over the years, who haven't proven themselves to be good enough, and who are now either plying their trade somewhere down the league (and non league) ladder, or are plastering someone's front room this afternoon.

With us, because of our situation, we've been forced into playing them (ie the best of who we have left) in the first team.

If we had Gelhardt, Weir and Devine playing, who knows how well we might be doing. If it were another year (or two) further on, and McGurk and McHugh were supporting Aasgard and Joseph, we might be running through teams.

However, it's here and now, where our best "old enough" players (Merrie and Perry, plus Crankshaw) aren't quite good enough, whilst our "best prospects" Joseph, Aasgard and Obi, and the rest of course) aren't quite old enough.

It's a bugger, isn't it.

Foden is the extreme case of a kid being picked up by a premier league side, nurtured, coached and developed to the point where he is scoring goals for his country in full internationals.

My comparison to him was to highlight that Wigan's youngsters at the same age are being out-played by Crewe, Northampton, Oxford and Chorley, and whilst Merrie & Foden were signed to premier league clubs in 2013, one has clearly kicked on whilst the other hasnt.

If the Wigan academy lads were not up to scratch, why have they continually been given contracts?

Every credit to Gregor Rioch here.......everything you'd expect and want him to say, with no umming and ashing.

Good to see some support from the stand-in manager for the players, rather than the negative lambasting from Sheridan recently.
People on here saying these youngsters are poor, but don't forget that as well as learning to step up to play against more experienced teams they also have the off-field issues that have been affecting them for months now. We see it all the time, even in the PL where off-field issues affect even the most experienced team's performances and results, and most of those are nothing compared to what our team is currently having to endure.
These players have been thrown in at the very deep end and some are floundering and need to find their feet quickly, with a bit more experience to help guide them I believe a lot of them will come good in the end.

Foden is the extreme case of a kid being picked up by a premier league side, nurtured, coached and developed to the point where he is scoring goals for his country in full internationals.

My comparison to him was to highlight that Wigan's youngsters at the same age are being out-played by Crewe, Northampton, Oxford and Chorley, and whilst Merrie & Foden were signed to premier league clubs in 2013, one has clearly kicked on whilst the other hasnt.

If the Wigan academy lads were not up to scratch, why have they continually been given contracts?

Your comparison was completely irrelevant though Pie eater, and you still seem to be ignoring my point re those who aren't Phil Foden !

WIgan's youngsters are playing in a senior team where invariably, they've been amongst the better performers in the defeats against the clubs you mention........ games where most of the senior players (who should be providing leadership and mentorship) normally wouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI.

Chris Merrie joined us in July 17 by the way.......... but even if it was 2013, and we were still in the Premier League, our academy weren't/aren't, so I expect that is
(at least) a little bit of the reason why players may develop at different rates.

Our academy lads have continually been given contracts because those in charge thought that they'd maybe be able to do a job some day. As it happens, they've generally been proven right. Unfortunately, with Gelhardt, Weir and Devine, it won't be with us. For Merrie, Perry and Crankshaw, maybe with more experienced heads around them, they'd be learning at a quicker rate ........ but at least they're making sure we can put a side out, until our off the field issues are sorted. As for Joseph, Aasgard, Jolley, McHugh, McGurk, and a host more, then their time is yet to come. I feel confident - now more than at any other time supporting this club - that our academy will be the backbone of our side (or maybe, our income) for a while to come.

I think your estimate is about right, the problem could be,
if the team play and lose like they are doing at present,
would a section of the crowd start 'booing' at the team?
Every fanbase has it's fair share of idiots.

Who would we boo at? Players who are (or generally have been) giving full effort (regardless of whether or not it's good enough)? .......... a stand in managerial team? ..... non existant owners?

Yes, there'd probably be booing, but it would be nonsensical.

Yes, actually I agree 100% with your statement Springy that vocal support could (and probably would) benefit the team and make a difference. I'm skeptical that the vocal support would be loud enough to drown out the inevitable negative voices at the moment. I was disagreeing with the assertion that fans being back would help, but you didn't make that assertion. Apologies.
We are in a 'no win situation' at present, if fans were allowed back in the stadium and the team keep playing badly and losing,
would some of the fans give the players some 'stick' by booing at them?

Every fanbase has it's fair share of idiots.

Who would we boo at? Players who are (or generally have been) giving full effort (regardless of whether or not it's good enough)? .......... a stand in managerial team? ..... non existant owners?

Yes, there'd probably be booing, but it would be nonsensical.
The 'Sensible fans' know the situation we are in this season, they have seen the way we are playing at present, so why pay a few quid to just go and 'boo' at the the team, it's the odd few who will scream 'what a load of rubbish' at the team, this has never changed as i heard it a few time at 'Springy Park'.

The 'Sensible fans' know the situation we are in this season, they have seen the way we are playing at present, so why pay a few quid to just go and 'boo' at the the team, it's the odd few who will scream 'what a load of rubbish' at the team, this has never changed as i heard it a few time at 'Springy Park'.

Thing is though mate if anybody stumps up the entrance fee they can do what they like...its those moaning that never go near the DW that get on my tits.

Thing is though mate if anybody stumps up the entrance fee they can do what they like...its those moaning that never go near the DW that get on my tits.
True, i've had fans around me from the Springy days to the DW Stadium,
calling the team 'crap' even when we have won, i think it's to relieve them of some stress and it's their money they are paying to enjoy themselves.

Sid, consider my analogy re apprentices. they're not kids, but they're not full time pros either.

Obi and Joseph at 19 are both learning every week ........ as they should be. Joseph I think is going to be a great hit.

At 22, Merrie, Perry and Pearce (and Crankshaw) are putting in their all every week. Yes. they make an occasional mistake (Perry today) but they've been no disgrace.

At 18, Aasgard looks a real one for the future.

I really don't mean to be rude Sid, but I trust Gregor Rioch's view of whether or nor they'll (eventually) be good enough ............ but regardless, for the time being, they're all we have.

I think you're right about Aasgaard...maybe Joseph and McHugh, too. You never know.... this could work out well in the long run 🤔

I think you're right about Aasgaard...maybe Joseph and McHugh, too. You never know.... this could work out well in the long run 🤔

At least Joseph is getting the opportunity but hes going to have to start putting these good chances away that he's had in the last three games.

If anyone came to a game and started booing the academy lads in the current situation then they would be a disgrace to the club and should be ashamed of themselves. I don't want those type of people anywhere near my club

If anyone came to a game and started booing the academy lads in the current situation then they would be a disgrace to the club and should be ashamed of themselves. I don't want those type of people anywhere near my club

Good grief the identity of the mystery buyer is revealed, MY CLUB !!!!!

I don't tell anybody else what to do ...I repeat. If they pay the entrance fee it entitles them to do what they want ( legally ). I wouldn’t personally but if you aren't happy with what is being served up then I'm OK with it.

We won't have many coming in the ground anyway if this shitshow drags on much longer.