Oxford tomorrow | Page 5 | Vital Football

Oxford tomorrow

But they
I wonder why ya daft bastards! FFS. Clubs in disarray and was a shock we even started season. What's the point in being negative! Course these players are struggling. A mixture of loans, inexperienced kids and others on short term contracts who are all we could afford. We are being managed today by an academy Manager by the looks of it who has never worked at this level. Until the club gets sold and settled its gonna be wank. Accept it. Support the kids when they get their chance and don't waste your time moaning.
but they are not kids. I call kids. 16 yr olds. They are not good enough

Ah well, here goes ......

We were very lucky not to lose that by 3 or 4, yet realistically, we could still have won the game if we'd taken our chances.

Jones looked like he was going to have a 'mare after his aberration in the box, but went on to redeem himself big style.

Tom James's worst game by far, both in defence and in their half. Some of his set pieces were truly awful.

The other 3 defenders did OK, and Pearce is improving all the time.

Massey aside, the midfield offered little creativity or steel for most of the game (until the young lads came on ....... but of course, Perry's mistake led to their second).

Garner really needs to learn when to pass ........early on, he had Massey totally free in the box, and instead, tried to force through a shot of his own.

Joseph was again lively, strong, creative, and very, very unlucky. The free kick given against him (when he was through) was an atrocious decision, and yes, of course, he should have scored (again). Every week, he must think there' some kind of forcefield stopping him from opening his account.

Can't fault anyone for effort, which, given our situation, is probably all we can ask at the moment.

Oh......and a cracking (consolation) goal from Aasgard ........ first of many, let's hope.

Last edited:
I've said before I am not going to criticise the young players as it is not their fault they have all been thrown into this, however they need to learn from their mistakes if we are to survive and I am sure they will when the dust settles on the shit storm we have faced.

We looked lost today, we were outpaced in midfield and at times it seemed to me that Oxford had more players on the pitch than us as the amount of space they were finding in the middle of the park was unbelievable. They seemed to have acres of space and so much time on the ball I wondered if we had a midfield.

They played with width and every time they went wide our full backs were out of position leaving them the time to put in dangerous crosses which caused problem for Tilt and Obi, both of who did well at times. Obi is raw and gets caught out of position but I can't fault his effort in getting back and his height is certainly an asset when dealing with tall forwards, he will improve over time. Tilt looked solid and held the back four together all match.

I know Jones has his critics but can't be faulted for his performance today, he had no chance with either goal but kept us in it with a string of decent saves. My only criticism would be that everything went long from him, which is probably what he was told to do, but when your forwards are significantly shorter than the oppositions backs, for me, it is a waste of time as they are going to lose out more than they win.

The biggest problem today was our inability to hold on to the ball. Passes were going astray and players were trying to do the impossible pass instead of playing it simply. When we did try to play the simple pass even that went wrong and to an Oxford player. We need to learn to control the ball and hold onto it if we are to improve.

Aasgaard's goal was the only highlight of the day but even that had an element of luck attached as Pearce nearly tripped over the ball before putting in a delightful cross for Aasgaard to glance home.

All in all a bad day at the office, we lost to a team we should have been able to compete against but we go again on Tuesday against a fellow struggler in Bristol.

Used to be proper hacked off all night and next day when we lost - now less than 1 hour since the whistle I'm actually not bothered.
Really hoping that it's because is so frequent rather than a loss of faith but worrying 🙄

How many times did we get a corner or free kick, set up for a cross into the area then play it short..... Why??
?

But they are not kids. I call kids. 16 yr olds. They are not good enough

Well loads of em are kids in footballing terms. A 16 year old has never played for latics since I've been watching em so I would suggest that the fact 6 of the 14 that played today have come through our academy and never played till we were thrown into chaos means they are kids to me.

Of the remaining 8 players, 4 are emergency loans. Jones is playing well. James is on loan from a Scottish side and is cheap. Tilt ain't played in about a year. Pearce has never been a regular in any professional football team and has played around 25 games in men's football. Gardner is a cheap option and was released by Salford and was all we could afford. Massey is coming back from a long term injury and has been struggling for fitness. Palmer has been sent to us on loan from a fellow League one struggler and Joe Garner is perhaps the only bit of experience we have in the side and is struggling for service.

And some of you are disgusted the team is struggling and it's the worst Latics side you've ever seen. Wake up! We are completely fucked.

In a short time you will be able to go to the games live, and give your vocal support to the team. It might turn the tide as regard performances, notice I did not say results.
The west stand will be able once again to give its impersonation of the Liverpool Kop.

But on the same note a lot have been saying how good these young lads have been. Good enough. Sheridon was crap but was right saying. They are not kids.

But on the same note a lot have been saying how good these young lads have been. Good enough. Sheridon was crap but was right saying. They are not kids.
Teenagers are kids John. In any way of life. If they were a plumber, or a leccy, or an engineer, they'd be part way through their apprenticeship.

Granted, Merrie and Perry are a little older, but they're barely "time served".

If you watched Rioch's pre match interview, he rightly said that ideally, you'd be blooding them a couple at a time.. .. we haven't had that luxury.

Teenagers are kids John. In any way of life. If they were a plumber, or a leccy, or an engineer, they'd be part way through their apprenticeship.

If you watched Rioch's pre match interview, he rightly said that ideally, you'd be blooding them a couple at a time.. .. we haven't had that luxury.

Why the hell are we back to being a long ball side. Jones has not taken one short all match and he keeps lumping it up to Garner who is 6 inch shorter than their CB.

I think it's risk avoidance. Playing it short to our defenders is asking for trouble.

Last edited:

=>19yrs are not kids they are young men and let's stop kidding ourselves that we are going to see them improving at League one level.
Harsh as it sounds they do not possess the skills for this League.

One thing to remember is that if we do drop again our salary cap is 1.5m next year. We'll really need our kids then.

Because It seems to me that it was only after Crankshaw, Perry & Askaard came on for the “Senior” players In the last 15 or so minutes that we looked like scoring !.

Their 2nd goal was due to a mistake when Perry gave the ball away for their scoring break which was unfortunate but it looked to me that if the game had of gone on another few mins we would have got a second !

Our experienced players were worse than our juniors today.