Outnumbered By Away Fans | Page 3 | Vital Football

Outnumbered By Away Fans

They only had the railway end that game,i think.
There weren’t actually that many Burnley fans, maybe 1-2,000. There appeared to be more as they made a nuisance of themselves. They weren’t given the Railway End but ‘took’ part of it which was an example of an adolescent game popular at the time.

Been watching the Imps for almost 60 years, until the Co op was built we always stood on the 'Sincil Bank' side of the Ground , half way up half way along . Never heard it called the West Bank before, bit like being in Israel ! Think I saw myself in the Burnley clip, with hair and looking very young !! UTI.

I only heard it called WB on internet forums. When I left Lincoln in 1970, I'd only heard it called Sincil Bank side.

One of my most vivid early memories of watching the Imps was Burnley taking over the St Andrews Stand in the 1991/92 season. I usually sat there and was somewhat traumatised by the sounds of seats slamming up to their fixed position as we went 3.0 down by half time.

I only heard it called WB on internet forums. When I left Lincoln in 1970, I'd only heard it called Sincil Bank side.

The Sincil Bank Terrace to give it, it's proper and full name was certainly known (informally) as the West Bank as far back as the '70s. There was a short lived fanzine called the West Banker, all way before the internet inveigled it's self into every household in the country.

I have abiding memories of the Brighton match in '77. I hooked up with my mates outside Tasker the 'Tooth' on South Park Parade only to to collide with Brighton fans en masse making their way up Sincil Bank then we were swept onto the West Bank with them - through the rarely opened middle gates. They had tix, we did not, no one was was checking so we got in free. Manfully we made our way towards the Railway End of the West Bank and hopped over the wall, to get to safey [sic].

It was 2-2, did Johnny Ward bag a brace?
Although I was only a lad, I'm fairly sure I stood in my normal spot on the West Bank, like Norfolk only had them in the designated away quarter

They weren’t given the Railway End but ‘took’ part of it which was an example of an adolescent game popular at the time.

It was a sign of the times, for years there was spray can graffiti on the wrigley tin at the back Railway end "We took the Pontoon". If any one lived the early '70s wants to try and understand the era. I would throughly recommend Dominic Sandbrook's brilliant mighty tome "State of Emergency" .61f16CfazOL._SL500_.jpg

Last edited:
One of my most vivid early memories of watching the Imps was Burnley taking over the St Andrews Stand in the 1991/92 season. I usually sat there and was somewhat traumatised by the sounds of seats slamming up to their fixed position as we went 3.0 down by half time.
they had a lot in there that day , only away fans I can recall of going in there in numbers , in a normal game

Blackpool didn't have all the West Bank, only half and the other half was well populated with Imps...….it was fun after !!!!

Remember it well, I was stood on half way right at the front as I always did prior to the ( now coop stand) being built. It was all imps fans around me but as kickoff approached Blackpool fans encroached well beyond me, and said segregation tape,towards the railway end. I held my position though and witnessed no more than friendly banter “Lincoln haven’t beaten any top teams...me -well we have now!”
They must have had some duff info re the pitch invasion but got promoted anyway in the p/o. Can’t remember the trouble afterwards though. Only time I’ve ever watched the imps at home with the visiting fans!

...Never heard it called the West Bank before, bit like being in Israel
I have abiding memories of the Brighton match in '77. I hooked up with my mates outside Tasker the 'Tooth' on South Park Parade only to to collide with Brighton fans en masse making their way up Sincil Bank then we were swept onto the West Bank with them - through the rarely opened middle gates. They had tix, we did not, no one was was checking so we got in free. Manfully we made our way towards the Railway End of the West Bank and hopped over the wall, to get to safey [sic].

It was 2-2, did Johnny Ward bag a brace?

I never heard it called the West Bank either.

That Brighton game sticks in my mind too, and I was DEFINITELY half way up the Sincil Bank terrace around halfway too, there's no way that was given up to Brighton supporters that evening.

The reason I remember it? I had that rare golden ticket, the no-score Golden Goal. In those days it applied to both halves.

The first half ended 1-2. Please correct my memory if Brian Horton didn't smash in a 30 yard volley for Brighton.

In the second half I was well in for a windfall I was looking forward to until just before full time John Ward got possession and curled a beauty into the far corner from outside the penalty area.

Must have been the only time he ever scored from outside the box.

I never heard it called the West Bank either.

That Brighton game sticks in my mind too, and I was DEFINITELY half way up the Sincil Bank terrace around halfway too, there's no way that was given up to Brighton supporters that evening.

The reason I remember it? I had that rare golden ticket, the no-score Golden Goal. In those days it applied to both halves.

The first half ended 1-2. Please correct my memory if Brian Horton didn't smash in a 30 yard volley for Brighton.

In the second half I was well in for a windfall I was looking forward to until just before full time John Ward got possession and curled a beauty into the far corner from outside the penalty area.

Must have been the only time he ever scored from outside the box.

It was always Sincil Bank to me and my old man back in the mid-70's..

i remember it being called the popular side. sincil bank was only ever a reference to the ground as a whole.