Outnumbered By Away Fans | Vital Football

Outnumbered By Away Fans

57harry

Vital 1st Team Regular
I wonder how many times City fans have been outnumbered by away fans at SB.Clearly its not going to happen now or into the near future at least.However there have been one or two times in the past where this could have happened. To start with it is helpul to remember the times when we have given opposition times the whole of the Westbank (or Co-op stand in more recent times) :

Sheff Wed 1976
Barnsley 1979 (League Cup)
Sheff Utd 1982 and 1983
Derby 1986 (had part of the Railway End also)
Celtic 2010

Out of that list my take is that Barnsley and Celtic were the only two that City fans were in a minority-plus possibly Derby in 1986. In the absence of official away stats.,it can be difficult to be certain.

I remember a game against Sheff Utd in the 80s where I thought we were definitely outnumbered but that is the only one that comes to mind. I also remember a last game of the season against Exeter after they had won the title where they just seemed more of them than us.

To start with it is helpul to remember the times when we have given opposition times the whole of the Westbank (or Co-op stand in more recent times) :

Sheff Wed 1976
Barnsley 1979 (League Cup)
Sheff Utd 1982 and 1983
Derby 1986 (had part of the Railway End also)
Celtic 2010

Out of that list my take is that Barnsley and Celtic were the only two that City fans were in a minority-plus possibly Derby in 1986..

Are you sure about some of those? The total attendance against Barnsley was only 6,700-ish. From memory, I'd query Sheffield Wednesday in 1976 (but it was a long time ago!).

Are you sure about some of those? The total attendance against Barnsley was only 6,700-ish. From memory, I'd query Sheffield Wednesday in 1976 (but it was a long time ago!).

With Barnsley they brought about 3500 and there were not a huge amount of City fans elsewhere-I reckon we were outnumbered but only just.

I agree Sheff Wed brought the most,possibly about 6,000-but I don't think they outnumbered us.Remember the gate was 14,700 -there were a heck of a lot of City fans present.

No segregation in those days apart from 2010, so impossible to say. I was at most of those games apart from 2010, and cannot ever remember being outnumbered.

Derby over a couple of seasons seemed to have a huge following
I also thought one of those years they swapped the West Bank around and gave Derby the normal home terrace and us the away section
Both games lively

Exeter only had the away end maybe 1500/2000 max gate was about 4700 , Blackpool 3/4000 ,gate was 8000 ,
Celtic maybe 2000 not sure what the gate was ,,

The only time I can think of was in the early 70s in a pre season Watney cup game against Burnley there was claret and blue scarfs everywhere, can’t remember the score pretty sure we lost

Possibly the 76 game against Sheffield Wed I remember at the time they claimed to have brought 8000 and the attendance I think was around 14000, it was the first time in my Sincil Bank days (started 67) that I had ever seen such a large Away following.

The only time I can think of was in the early 70s in a pre season Watney cup game against Burnley there was claret and blue scarfs everywhere, can’t remember the score pretty sure we lost
They only had the railway end that game,i think.

Exeter only had the away end maybe 1500/2000 max gate was about 4700 , Blackpool 3/4000 ,gate was 8000 ,
Celtic maybe 2000 not sure what the gate was ,,
Blackpool had pretty much the whole of the west bank for that game in 92, 4000+?
Imps fans in the Stacey West and echo stand with just a few brave souls on the west bank.
They weren't that we beat them 2-0!

Blackpool had pretty much the whole of the west bank for that game in 92, 4000+?
Imps fans in the Stacey West and echo stand with just a few brave souls on the west bank.
They weren't that we beat them 2-0!

No South Park End that day as it was being redeveloped.

Brighton, in '77 had all of the west Bank too.

No South Park End that day as it was being redeveloped.

Brighton, in '77 had all of the west Bank too.

I don’t think Brighton did mate, they brought a few (was it a Friday night game?) but they definitely didn’t have more than the away end .... a 2-2 draw I recall?

Only Sheff Weds/United, Derby (2nd visit) and maybe Blackpool have ever had more than us at home.