Out of contract players. Keep or let go | Vital Football

Out of contract players. Keep or let go

walgarthjohn

Vital 1st Team Regular
Be nice to talk football for a change this site is turning into bloody face book All the. Moaning. Folk taking over it Garner Jacobs Pilkington Dunkley. Roberts. Think the ex Brentford man was on a year deal. Dunkley as back up for me the only one

It depends on if we stay up or not and what the club is planning to do. We know the new investors are going to pump in 30m (and want it back with interest in a year) so what is the plan? If we stay up is the idea to go for one last promotion push to try and get the promotion money or is the idea the money be used to try and balance the books short term to avoid PFP and start downsizing to make us self sufficient?

Also depend on what the players are earning - if we go down Jacobs, Pilkington and Garner would be certainly worth keeping but i imagine they are on decent money but they are getting older, so they would probably need to take a pay cut and they understandably may not fancy that. Also if we are thinking about letting them go what is the budget to sign replacements? If we stay up i'd be happy to have Dunkley Pilkington and Garner as squad players but they may want first team football and i wouldn't feel we can guarentee them that.

There are so many variables this summer compared to usual summers where we largely know the direction of the club that would change my answer on who to keep. So the only player that i'm 100% under any circumstance of wanting to keep is Balogun the handful of others mentioned depends on other factors.

Has Roberts not been given a four year extension yet?
Jacobs and Pilkington and Roberts no. Garner if Clown would play him with Moore so that's a no. Brentford Mon definite no. Maybe just Dunkley for me.
There is only Dunks out of those who has earned a living. The rest FFS part time part timers apart from Joe Garner who has been starved of football by our awful mind numbing tactics. Shame there aren't a few more on that list starting with the seasons biggest let down Mr Pull Your Socks Up himself.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Roberts gets a player coach role 😉
Would keep Dunks
Garner, Pilkington yes but only if the allowed to play regularly
Jacobs no - to many false dawns for me

All out of contract players, if offered a new deal, will be offered a pay cut regardless ?
If salaries have been deferred by 30% and payable next season. More dosh to fork out with revenues fairly flat.
Some of the players mentioned look to have moved because of the proximity to their family.
If us supporters are not to be allowed into grounds until October (nothing confirmed) would we stump up more money for a season to cover the costs ?
Not easy for players out of contract.
Can clubs afford players with injury problems and would a drop down to League 1 be possible ?

Chey Dunkley hasn't improved defensively under our current manager but his 6 goals have saved this season.
Michael Jacobs has been hit and miss. At the start of last season he was top notch.

All out of contract players, if offered a new deal, will be offered a pay cut regardless ?
If salaries have been deferred by 30% and payable next season. More dosh to fork out with revenues fairly flat.
Some of the players mentioned look to have moved because of the proximity to their family.
If us supporters are not to be allowed into grounds until October (nothing confirmed) would we stump up more money for a season to cover the costs ?
Can clubs afford players with injury problems and would a drop down to League 1 be possible ?

Chey Dunkley hasn't improved defensively under our current manager but his 6 goals have saved this season.
Michael Jacobs has been hit and miss. At the start of last season he was top notch.

With the start of the new season potentially being pushed back a bit to September I am hoping we can have all the fans back in for the kick off of next term. It will depend on a lot of things and i know that those aren't the noises being made at the moment but as lockdown is eased not just here and accross Europe that could speed up or slow down the return of fans depending what happens. If we see other countries restarting football with crowds without issues then we wont be far behind. The finances of League 1 and 2 mean playing without fans is a huge issue - i think getting the new season going without fans will prove as big an issue as finishing this season will be. The public are already getting fed up with lockdown and the pressure to go back to normal will also increase - i can see there being a push from all sides to try and get the crowds back for the fist day of next season. Time will tell as it depends on lots of factors but I think the excelleration out of lockdown will increase rapidly once we get past a certain point assuming there isn't a massive set back of some kind in which case the new season could be delayed altogether.

The only hit I've seen fm Jacobs this season was the Reading away finish when the game was already done and for me that's about it !
Last season first couple of home games decent maybe but hardly top notch.
A complete lightweight liability in any away game though that didn't stop 🤡 selecting him !

The only hit I've seen fm Jacobs this season was the Reading away finish when the game was already done and for me that's about it !
A complete lightweight liability in any away game though that didn't stop 🤡 selecting him !

If we go down extending his contract is a no brained - he's a boss in L1. But if we stay up then it would be silly to keep him. Great servant to the club but he's had about 6 seasons at this level (3 with us) and it's safe to say he's just not able to make the step up to the Championship. Much like many other great L1 players.

If we go down extending his contract is a no brained - he's a boss in L1. But if we stay up then it would be silly to keep him. Great servant to the club but he's had about 6 seasons at this level (3 with us) and it's safe to say he's just not able to make the step up to the Championship. Much like many other great L1 players.
Have to disagree KDZ - whilst he stood out in L1 games for me only at home - can't remember when he was MoM or turned a game even in L1 away from home.
Blackburn away in the promotion season a special mention - he did absolutely nothing all game.

Now more than ever, we've not got the money to be handing out new contracts to passengers, especially passengers who are either not good enough for this league (Jacobs), or spend half their time on the treatment table (Pilkington). Get rid of the lot.

Chey Dunkley gives 100 per cent and wears his heart on his sleeve but you are right he hasn’t improved at all this year. But that isn’t the managers fault, it’s because he’s not a Championship level defender. It is no coincidence that when he lost his place and we had a calming influence in Balagun next to Kipre we improved massively defensively. Our back line went to jelly far too often at the end of games and Dunkley was at the centre of some keystone cops defending that I haven’t seen since the days of Martinez. They had that 8-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge on today what a nightmare afternoon that was. Still gives me the shivers! As does the £60 ticket FFS!

Too lightweight for this league for me

He may be but he is no worse than Massey, Lowe, Pilkington, Windass, Roberts and others. He could possibly get another year.

I'd say he's done worse than all of them except Massey who's having a total nightmare. I'd say Lowe has had a few really good performances spaced out while Jacobs had none, Windass similar plus his goals. Then Roberts and Pilkington both done quite well when they've been on. While Jacobs just struggled throughout - i think he maybe had 1 or 2 decent games tops despite playing nearly every week.

Chey Dunkley gives 100 per cent and wears his heart on his sleeve but you are right he hasn’t improved at all this year. But that isn’t the managers fault, it’s because he’s not a Championship level defender. It is no coincidence that when he lost his place and we had a calming influence in Balagun next to Kipre we improved massively defensively. Our back line went to jelly far too often at the end of games and Dunkley was at the centre of some keystone cops defending that I haven’t seen since the days of Martinez. They had that 8-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge on today what a nightmare afternoon that was. Still gives me the shivers! As does the £60 ticket FFS!

To be fair i think Dunkley was great when Mulgrew was with him taking the lead so under the right manager, with the right partner I do think he could become a good Championship player. He reminds me of Bramble a bit in the sense he had everything but it took someone like Bruce to get the best out of him.

He shouldn't be in ahead of Balogun or Kipre now, but i don't think he's a complete write off for this level like Grigg, Jacobs, etc. I think there is something in there - just a case of if we think we can get it out.

Have to disagree KDZ - whilst he stood out in L1 games for me only at home - can't remember when he was MoM or turned a game even in L1 away from home.
Blackburn away in the promotion season a special mention - he did absolutely nothing all game.

I think you are forgetting how much he did to be honest, over the 2 promotion seasons he scored some crucial goals and assists away too. Off the top of my head in the 2 seasons in L1 he scored away at Walsall, winner and equaliser at Bradford on 2 seperate trips, equaliser at Scunthorpe, also scored at Rochdale, Fleetwood, and Burton, Rotherham away and i'm sure i'm missing a few other goals.

He wasn't above going missing now and again but he was crucial to helping us get up both times.

It depends on if we stay up or not and what the club is planning to do. We know the new investors are going to pump in 30m (and want it back with interest in a year) so what is the plan? If we stay up is the idea to go for one last promotion push to try and get the promotion money or is the idea the money be used to try and balance the books short term to avoid PFP and start downsizing to make us self sufficient?

Also depend on what the players are earning - if we go down Jacobs, Pilkington and Garner would be certainly worth keeping but i imagine they are on decent money but they are getting older, so they would probably need to take a pay cut and they understandably may not fancy that. Also if we are thinking about letting them go what is the budget to sign replacements? If we stay up i'd be happy to have Dunkley Pilkington and Garner as squad players but they may want first team football and i wouldn't feel we can guarentee them that.

There are so many variables this summer compared to usual summers where we largely know the direction of the club that would change my answer on who to keep. So the only player that i'm 100% under any circumstance of wanting to keep is Balogun the handful of others mentioned depends on other factors.
Velly sorry to pee on your bonfire King but not £30m. You and others need to re-read page 29 'Directors letter'. This shows the reason for the new set up which is basically, the company can't charge interest on money it lends itself but this new set up allows for them to charge interest. As per;
"As disclosed under the paragraph headed ‘‘The Loan Agreement’’, as at the Latest Practicable Date, the Club was indebted to the Company of approximately GBP24.36 million (equivalent to approximately HK$235.07 million) as a result of the injection of daily working capital of the Club by the Company since the completion of the Acquisition in 2018 by way of
shareholders’ loan without any interest.
Upon Completion, the Club will no longer be the member of the Group. The Company aims to secure the interest of the Company and the Shareholders by entering into the Loan Agreement with the Club which serves to charge the Pre-existing Loan at 8% interest rate per annum to the Club and recoups the principal amount of Pre-existing Loan.
Regarding the Loan Agreement, comparing with the prevailing interest rate for time deposits being offered by banks to the public, the interest rate under the Loan Agreement is attractive and favourable for the Company. The Company considers that the Loan Agreement will generate a stable interest income and offer a higher return to the Group when comparing with the interest to be earned by making a Hong Kong dollar time deposit with financial institutions in Hong Kong. Further, due repayment of the Facility is guaranteed by the Purchaser under the Deed of Guarantee."

Last edited:
I'd say he's done worse than all of them except Massey who's having a total nightmare. I'd say Lowe has had a few really good performances spaced out while Jacobs had none, Windass similar plus his goals. Then Roberts and Pilkington both done quite well when they've been on. While Jacobs just struggled throughout - i think he maybe had 1 or 2 decent games tops despite playing nearly every week.
Lowe!!! He must be one of the poorest signings of many Cook has made. He is dross. Those few really good performances are totally blanked out by the number of games he has been carried by his team mates. Possibly hasn't been helped by the way he has been used by Cook but overall no better than Neil Morton and a sight lazier.