Our Pitch | Vital Football

Our Pitch

mikeosullivan

Vital Squad Member
Does anyone else think our pitch is affecting our home form? It doesn't look in the best shape and I get the impression our players don't trust the bounce.

We seem to play much better away from home on decent flat surfaces that help our passing game. I don't think our pitch helps with that at all.

I know we have injuries, but our home form has been awful this season.

I thought this a month or so ago, but Fleetwood passed it well enough for an hour so can't really use that as an excuse.

Home form has been a big let down overall though ... mid-table standard at best. Thankfully away from home we've been exceptional (so far).

I think our pitch looks far better than many in this division. Those at Wigan and Hull recently ( though the KC one was weather affected) were far worse and footage of the Peterborough one looks like a cow field.

It has been suggested that with the Furlough schemes with Covid many clubs have not been able to look after pitches as well as they would have liked, but I don't think ours is that bad in comparison

EDIT Of course I'm only basing that on a high camera view. Pitch side could be very different

I think if you look through the leagues this year the percentage of away wins is higher than usual. The absence of fans has reduced home advantage. It shows that home fans can get a team a few points each year.

We have had problems with the pitch in the past but on the whole and seeing other lower division pitches this season our doesnt look too bad.
Having said that I think the pitch isnt good enough for the type of football the manager wants to play.
Maybe instead of extending the Stacy West we should look at putting in a hybrid pitch.
Difficult decision I know and probably the best part of a million quid.

We have had problems with the pitch in the past but on the whole and seeing other lower division pitches this season our doesnt look too bad.
Having said that I think the pitch isnt good enough for the type of football the manager wants to play.
Maybe instead of extending the Stacy West we should look at putting in a hybrid pitch.
Difficult decision I know and probably the best part of a million quid.
I suspect you can't get a £1m grant for a pitch like you can a community hub, which the SW will deliver.

I wonder if we never train on it, to ensure the pitch stays in shape. We don't seem to have an advantage on it.

Fleetwood passed it around fine as have most of our recent visitors, we're just struggling to click at the moment imho.

Something has to be behind our awful home form and decent away form though, especially when empty stadiums have removed the traditional advantage of playing at home.

Something has to be behind our awful home form and decent away form though, especially when empty stadiums have removed the traditional advantage of playing at home.

In the early part of the season I think it was more the style of play, the home team coming on to us and us counter attacking. Seem to have trouble breaking teams down at home.
As David says not quite clicking now, but understandable with injuries, weather, heavier pitches.