Our next keeper? | Vital Football

Our next keeper?

Spursex

Alert Team
https://tbrfootball.com/dutch-great...ham-target-who-dreams-of-premier-league-move/

Dutch great wants £43m for reported Tottenham target who dreams of Premier League move

e270f91ad24b44b862d7905eda7bd249

By
Kyle Archer

Published on May 4, 2021

Marc Overmars has told NOS that Ajax will not stand in Andre Onana’s way in the event of a suitable offer this summer amid renewed interest from Tottenham Hotspur.

The north London outfit have recently been linked with the Cameroon shot-stopper by football.london, who claimed that Onana is a potential option for Spurs’ next head coach to target in their search for Hugo Lloris’s long-term successor.

Spurs have long been touted as a potential destination Onana, with L’Equipe suggesting that contact was made with the 25-year-old last year, while the Daily Mail later claimed that he dreams of joining the Premier League side.

Lloris is only under contract at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium through to next summer and will turn 35 later in the year, while Onana is likewise soon entering the final 12 months of his current deal.

Overmars indicated to ESPN last month that talks between Ajax and Onana over new terms were halted as he had refused to extend his contract with the Amsterdam outfit, for whom he has not played since being issued a 12-month ban for alleged doping violations in February.

While the ban could hinder any potential move this summer, Ajax’s Technical Director Overmars is still intent on demanding a sizable fee for the 2022 free agent who faced Spurs in the 2019 Champions League semi-finals.

The Eddie Howe update Celtic fans have been waiting for

“For €50m (£43.3m), there is a good chance that Onana will leave next summer,” Arsenal icon Overmars told NOS.
TBR view

Tottenham will understandably use the upcoming summer market to headhunt a new goalkeeper, with Lloris entering the twilight of his career. But a move for Onana may be unlikely given he will be out of action until next February unless his ban is reduced.

Spurs Chairman Daniel Levy may also be unwilling to pay the fee Overmars has stated Ajax will demand, given the former Barcelona prospect will also be a free agent in a years.

But Overmars stating that Ajax will not stand in Onana’s way will still be considered as a huge boost for any lingering interest in north London, as the Cameroonian was considered by UEFA’s technical reports (via the Daily Mail) to have been among the best goalkeepers in the Champions League during the 2018/19 and 2019/20 seasons.

Clearly, then, Tottenham can acquire a top talent by striking a deal with Ajax, and land a player who reportedly wanted to join them previously.

Andre Onana: Ajax and Cameroon goalkeeper banned for 12 months for doping violation
Last updated on
5 February 20215 February 2021.From the section European Football
_116831130_onana_body.jpg
Ajax said Onana had mistakenly taken medication prescribed for his wife
Ajax and Cameroon goalkeeper Andre Onana has been banned from football for a year for a doping violation.
The 24-year-old failed an out-of-competition drugs test in October when the banned substance furosemide was found in his urine sample.
Ajax said Onana had mistakenly taken medication prescribed for his wife while feeling unwell.
The club and Onana will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the suspension, imposed by Uefa.
In a statement on social media, Onana said he had mistaken his wife's medicine for aspirin because the packaging was "almost identical" and called his ban "excessive and disproportionate".
"Everything was the result of a human mistake," he said.
"Everyone knows that I lead a very healthy life, and since I started my sporting career, I have always been strongly against any use of doping and I condemn any unsportsmanlike conduct.
"I have no need to resort to doping to further enhance my sporting career."
Ajax said in a statement that Uefa had agreed Onana had not intentionally cheated but that the governing body believed "an athlete has a duty at all times to ensure that no banned substances enter the body".
Onana, who has 18 caps for Cameroon, will miss the delayed 2021 Africa Cup of Nations. Cameroon are the host nation for the tournament, which has been rearranged for January 2022.
He had kept nine clean sheets in 20 Eredivisie matches this season.
Ajax managing director Edwin van der Sar said: "We explicitly renounce performance-enhancing drugs - we obviously stand for a clean sport.
"This is a terrible setback, for Andre himself but certainly also for us as a club. Andre is a top goalkeeper, who has proven his worth for Ajax for years and is very popular with the fans.
"We had hoped for a conditional suspension or for a suspension much shorter than these 12 months, because it was arguably not intended to strengthen his body and thus improve his performance."

43M for a currently banned keeper who has 12 months left on his contract... LOL

If I'm reading right he'll be banned til February when I'm guessing he'll have 5 months left on his contract and will be allowed to sign pre-contract deals from Jan?

Overmars is either about to get Levy'ed or someone else will get him. In a covid market they'd be lucky to get 15M for him this summer under those conditions.

Would it be worth us trying to sign him for a few M this summer then loaning him to a league outside UEFA so he retains some much sharpness?

43M for a currently banned keeper who has 12 months left on his contract... LOL

If I'm reading right he'll be banned til February when I'm guessing he'll have 5 months left on his contract and will be allowed to sign pre-contract deals from Jan?

Overmars is either about to get Levy'ed or someone else will get him. In a covid market they'd be lucky to get 15M for him this summer under those conditions.

Would it be worth us trying to sign him for a few M this summer then loaning him to a league outside UEFA so he retains some much sharpness?

I did see it as "we're desperate to sell him" type announcement. Marc is dreaming, no one is going to pay them anything !! My bet is he's already agreed in principle his next move.

Does get you wondering who our next keeper will be. Can't believe Alexander Nubel went to warm the BM bench. That is criminal.

Now we're hearing that Donarumma, out of contact at end of season, is being lured to Juventus for 200k euros a week. There goes another.

Not a chance I would want Lloris leaving our club this summer unless we have a credible name coming in.

I was reading about him a couple of weeks back. Seems quite an unfair situation for Ajax that their keeper could essentially have most of the rest of his contract run down and be unable to play during that time.

If he's banned from playing under UEFA then he would have been the perfect Super League signing!

The goalkeeping situation worries me most. Lloris has been such a key player for so long that replacing him is going to be a huge task. We really should have had a player ready to step in when Lloris does leave but it's been a position that has been slightly overlooked. Gaz just doesn't look like he is ever going to become the player Poch thought he could, which is a shame because I do enjoy his passion on the pitch.

Not sure on Onana though. Anything more than £15m at this point would be madness.

Alphonse Aerola I think is a good shout. He has proven himself in the prem and would not cost a great deal of money

I thought the same, but then spoke to a Fulham supporting mate. He wasn't as excited as I thought he'd be, but of course mentioned the words "good shot stopper".

He was very complimentary about Anderson though.

Anderson should be our number 1 target.

As for goalkeepers, Emiliano Martínez has had a phenomenal season. Sam Johnstone could be a could option too. I have thought Alban Lafont has looked a very decent prospect and has a long career ahead of him. Mike Maignan has a very good season too and could make the step up now. Onana has always been a good option too but it feels like this summer would be the ideal time to get our ducks in a row.

I’d let Hugo see out the last year of his contract then thank him and wish him the best back home in France.

A great servant he has been to our club and recently he has looked as good as ever.

I’d be looking at a deal for a No 1 and No 2 goalie between now and Christmas. Get something agreed on January for the summer.

I think you'd ideally want a new keeper in this summer, so they can ease into their new surroundings, spend time training with Lloris and play cup games/the odd PL game next season. If they arrive and have to jump straight into the number one spot as a replacement for a club legend (and arguably one of the best keepers of the last 15 years) that pressure could make their start unnecessarily rocky.

Well it's been a game for a couple seasons, but now let's see if Spurs can close the deal, now that the French guy is going to the Rossoneri.

Turn all that background talk into a stroke of something fantasmical.

I think you'd ideally want a new keeper in this summer, so they can ease into their new surroundings, spend time training with Lloris and play cup games/the odd PL game next season. If they arrive and have to jump straight into the number one spot as a replacement for a club legend (and arguably one of the best keepers of the last 15 years) that pressure could make their start unnecessarily rocky.

A fair point Matic but that depends on who we sign. If it’s a young up and coming goalie then you have a valid point.

A more experienced keeper, the likes of which I think we will require won’t want to ride the bench for a season waiting for Lloris to depart.

He also should be able to hit the ground running after a full pre season if he has anything about him.