Our Internationals | Page 3 | Vital Football

Our Internationals

How many games per season is safe and acceptable for a player generally speaking? Obviously some can play more than others but there has to be a guideline. I dont know but I am guessing 50 per year approx.

There are no guidelines as such, they are based-lined every season and monitored and there are key measures that will tell you if you're in the or the edge of teh red zone - when fatigued your body will issue distress hormones from muscles/organs etc and other key minerals etc will take a hit.

That's when managers talk about being forced to play players when they shouldn't.

Fatigue is both dagerous and worrying as that's when injuries carry on longer healing than they should and form drops off rapidly as does the capability to sustain a high work rate.

The danger is that becomes a long term condition, and you lose conditioning rapidly (say in 3-6 weeks) and it can take you 5-10 times longer than that to regain it.

Jose Mourinho and Gareth Southgate on collision course over Harry Kane

England coach set to start Spurs striker in Nations League clash against Denmark on Wednesday

By Matt Law, Football News Correspondent 12 October 2020 • 10:30pm

TELEMMGLPICT000241707105_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqv_SdIuzQcFfPqRCGY8F8_xG3qitTg--sfFeqP7MINVE.jpegimwidth=480

Harry Kane wasn't deemed fit enough to start in England's 2-1 win over Belgium on Sunday Credit: GETTY IMAGES

Gareth Southgate has confirmed that he wants to start England captain Harry Kane against Denmark in the Nations League on Wednesday night, despite Tottenham Hotspur’s fears over the striker’s thigh.
England manager Southgate could put himself on a collision course with Tottenham head coach Jose Mourinho if Kane suffers an injury or aggravates a thigh problem at Wembley.
Mourinho has made it clear that he expects England to be careful with his star man and there have been unconfirmed reports that Spurs would have preferred for Kane to be sent back to Tottenham after he was not deemed fit enough to start against Belgium.
Southgate put that decision down to cramp and muscle fatigue, but Telegraph Sport understands that Tottenham are concerned about the strain being put on Kane’s thigh by the volume of football he has been forced to play.
The England and Spurs medical teams have been in close contact, but Kane appeared as a substitute in the victory over Belgium and is in line to start against Denmark as long as he does not have any setbacks or Southgate has a change of heart.
TELEMMGLPICT000241549606_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqjZCqkh21MTy1LvXE-PcUNRq5mdITiaiDe7z2wuKyJmA.jpegimwidth=480

England coach Gareth Southgate has confirmed Kane will start against Denmark on Wednesday Credit: SHUTTERSTOCK
“I think he'll have gained more confidence from the spell he had against Belgium and so, all being well, we hope he'll be good to start on Wednesday,” said Southgate.
Asked if he was taking any advice from Tottenham, Southgate added: “Well, medically, there's been conversations, because that would always be the case. He reported Sunday and we gave players that reported on Sunday, who weren't involved in the Wales game for us, we gave them two days' recovery.
“He started to train on the Wednesday, was a little unhappy with how he felt, so then worked with our medical team the next couple of days. We scanned just to be certain, but it's a muscular fatigue issue rather than an injury, so it just needed a bit more confidence. He knew by then he could push on a little bit, but he just needed a bit more confidence in it and so his training week really wasn't suitable to start the Belgium game.”
Mourinho will have been relieved that Kane did not start against Belgium, but will no doubt be concerned the 27-year-old could be put at risk just four days before Tottenham entertain London rivals West Ham United.
Ahead of the international break, Mourinho said: “When Kane is fit, he should start every game for Tottenham, but he didn’t yesterday [against Chelsea in the Carabao Cup], so I think this is the point. When you have such a player and you want to win every match, you play him. But you just can’t do it.
TELEMMGLPICT000241150887_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq2aizoQ_BaLt4dX785YMTtX7-OVu-crLs795BkSrXVq4.jpegimwidth=480

Jose Mourinho has warned England over how they deal with Spurs' star man Credit: SHUTTERSTOCK
“I believe that Gareth [Southgate] and Steve [Holland], they care about the players and I don’t think they want to be connected with something that can be a consequence of this week plus the three matches that the national team has, which is obviously too much – especially for my players.
“So I don’t speak with Gareth, I don’t speak even with Steve and, of course, with Steve I am a very good friend of his. I just let them do their job the way they want to do it, with the freedom they deserve.”
Mourinho may also be watching carefully to see whether or not Eric Dier starts a second England game in the space of four days, given the defender has already played in nine games for club and country this season.
Southgate will be reluctant to make too many changes for what is a competitive fixture on Wednesday night, although he did suggest no player would start all three games of England’s triple-header after announcing his squad.
Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who would make way for Kane, and Kieran Trippier were the only two players to start both the Wales and Belgium matches.
Southgate said: “We are certainly not looking to start players in all three games, but I can't guarantee that no player will play no minutes of all three games.
“Our aim is to manage the squad, we have got to be responsible, we are conscious of the welfare of the players. The life of an England manager is very complicated in terms of we have huge clubs, huge personalities, hugely successful managers who have achieved a lot in the game.”

I see that Arsene Wenger is quoted as saying that the European Nations Cup should be scrapped and that the World Cup and Euros should be played every two years. Couldn't agree more, this stuff going on at the moment seems a pointless bore. If our players have to be worked until they drop, I'd rather it be in meaningful competition.

Wenger is talking utter nonsense.

Firstly, the Euro and WC qualifiers would leave us playing minnows and would not be competitive. In these last 2 NL campaigns we've played Spain, Croatia, Belgium etc and had some humdingers. I went to the finals in Portugal and watched the Holland and Switzerland games. I also watched the Portugal vs Holland final. Find me an England traveling fan that didn't enjoy us being in the NL? It's a massive upgrade from the previous qualification campaigns where we would win all our group stages and crash and burn in every major tournament.

Secondly, the NL is part of both the Euro's and WC qualification. The actual NL cup is in the alternate summer to the Euro's and WC and only involves 4 teams. The ten group winners get their qualification to the 2022 WC and there are play-offs for over countries to secure their place.

I'm shocked that Wenger can't see what was wrong with International football for the last decade and appreciate that someone is trying to improve it. I'd still like to get rid of the friendlies though. Playing Wales was pointless last week but the Belgium and Denmark games are valid games.

This one ties back into what the other article on reforms is about. We can all start enjoying International football again if the money men in football get back in their box. It was amazing in the past and can be again.

One man's opinion !!!

Jose Mourinho and Gareth Southgate on collision course over Harry Kane

England coach set to start Spurs striker in Nations League clash against Denmark on Wednesday

By Matt Law, Football News Correspondent 12 October 2020 • 10:30pm

TELEMMGLPICT000241707105_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqv_SdIuzQcFfPqRCGY8F8_xG3qitTg--sfFeqP7MINVE.jpegimwidth=480

Harry Kane wasn't deemed fit enough to start in England's 2-1 win over Belgium on Sunday Credit: GETTY IMAGES

Gareth Southgate has confirmed that he wants to start England captain Harry Kane against Denmark in the Nations League on Wednesday night, despite Tottenham Hotspur’s fears over the striker’s thigh.
England manager Southgate could put himself on a collision course with Tottenham head coach Jose Mourinho if Kane suffers an injury or aggravates a thigh problem at Wembley.
Mourinho has made it clear that he expects England to be careful with his star man and there have been unconfirmed reports that Spurs would have preferred for Kane to be sent back to Tottenham after he was not deemed fit enough to start against Belgium.
Southgate put that decision down to cramp and muscle fatigue, but Telegraph Sport understands that Tottenham are concerned about the strain being put on Kane’s thigh by the volume of football he has been forced to play.
The England and Spurs medical teams have been in close contact, but Kane appeared as a substitute in the victory over Belgium and is in line to start against Denmark as long as he does not have any setbacks or Southgate has a change of heart.
TELEMMGLPICT000241549606_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqjZCqkh21MTy1LvXE-PcUNRq5mdITiaiDe7z2wuKyJmA.jpegimwidth=480

England coach Gareth Southgate has confirmed Kane will start against Denmark on Wednesday Credit: SHUTTERSTOCK
“I think he'll have gained more confidence from the spell he had against Belgium and so, all being well, we hope he'll be good to start on Wednesday,” said Southgate.
Asked if he was taking any advice from Tottenham, Southgate added: “Well, medically, there's been conversations, because that would always be the case. He reported Sunday and we gave players that reported on Sunday, who weren't involved in the Wales game for us, we gave them two days' recovery.
“He started to train on the Wednesday, was a little unhappy with how he felt, so then worked with our medical team the next couple of days. We scanned just to be certain, but it's a muscular fatigue issue rather than an injury, so it just needed a bit more confidence. He knew by then he could push on a little bit, but he just needed a bit more confidence in it and so his training week really wasn't suitable to start the Belgium game.”
Mourinho will have been relieved that Kane did not start against Belgium, but will no doubt be concerned the 27-year-old could be put at risk just four days before Tottenham entertain London rivals West Ham United.
Ahead of the international break, Mourinho said: “When Kane is fit, he should start every game for Tottenham, but he didn’t yesterday [against Chelsea in the Carabao Cup], so I think this is the point. When you have such a player and you want to win every match, you play him. But you just can’t do it.
TELEMMGLPICT000241150887_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq2aizoQ_BaLt4dX785YMTtX7-OVu-crLs795BkSrXVq4.jpegimwidth=480

Jose Mourinho has warned England over how they deal with Spurs' star man Credit: SHUTTERSTOCK
“I believe that Gareth [Southgate] and Steve [Holland], they care about the players and I don’t think they want to be connected with something that can be a consequence of this week plus the three matches that the national team has, which is obviously too much – especially for my players.
“So I don’t speak with Gareth, I don’t speak even with Steve and, of course, with Steve I am a very good friend of his. I just let them do their job the way they want to do it, with the freedom they deserve.”
Mourinho may also be watching carefully to see whether or not Eric Dier starts a second England game in the space of four days, given the defender has already played in nine games for club and country this season.
Southgate will be reluctant to make too many changes for what is a competitive fixture on Wednesday night, although he did suggest no player would start all three games of England’s triple-header after announcing his squad.
Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who would make way for Kane, and Kieran Trippier were the only two players to start both the Wales and Belgium matches.
Southgate said: “We are certainly not looking to start players in all three games, but I can't guarantee that no player will play no minutes of all three games.
“Our aim is to manage the squad, we have got to be responsible, we are conscious of the welfare of the players. The life of an England manager is very complicated in terms of we have huge clubs, huge personalities, hugely successful managers who have achieved a lot in the game.”

The only good thing here is that Kane knows what it means to pull on the 3 Lions shirt. He will do the right thing despite the press trying to put words into Mourinho's mouth. I don't see an issue here. Kane played 9 days ago and had a short cameo on Sunday. People forget, that cameo would have probably done his body some good.

How many games per season is safe and acceptable for a player generally speaking? Obviously some can play more than others but there has to be a guideline. I dont know but I am guessing 50 per year approx.
I would say that 50 should be a max Nick, a game a week at the highest level seems plenty.

If there has to be international football, and I think that is debatable, then it should only be played in a two week window at the end of domestic seasons.

Too players recognise that their livliehoods are paid by their clubs, and players like Harry, who have a history of injuries but maybe looking for a lucrative move to another club, know that an injury on international duty could spell the end of their dreams...hence Harry “doing the right thing” against Belgium by having some distance running practice, being totally ineffective, and missing an open goal.

If a restructure is needed then scrap the meaningless Euros and just have the World Cup, in abridged form, once every 4 years and save the money drain on the the FA manager and coaches.

I accept that some people believe international football is important...I do not, and see it as a means to line the pockets of individuals, many from countries that have no hope of really competing, and a method of justifying the existence of FIFA and EUFA, although EUFA does at least run club competitions that are of more interest to the average fan than the international competitions.

Ronaldo tested positive who has recently played both Spain & France (Reguilon & Hugo)

These internationals need to be scrapped until the Euro's next year

If there has to be international football, and I think that is debatable, then it should only be played in a two week window at the end of domestic seasons.

Too players recognise that their livliehoods are paid by their clubs, and players like Harry, who have a history of injuries but maybe looking for a lucrative move to another club, know that an injury on international duty could spell the end of their dreams...hence Harry “doing the right thing” against Belgium by having some distance running practice, being totally ineffective, and missing an open goal.

If a restructure is needed then scrap the meaningless Euros and just have the World Cup, in abridged form, once every 4 years and save the money drain on the the FA manager and coaches.

I accept that some people believe international football is important...I do not, and see it as a means to line the pockets of individuals, many from countries that have no hope of really competing, and a method of justifying the existence of FIFA and EUFA, although EUFA does at least run club competitions that are of more interest to the average fan than the international competitions.

Pretty much agree entirely Harry, certainly as regards the stuff that is going on at the moment. Fact is that certainly where a high percentage of football fans are concerned, international football has become an irritation. How many welcome these mid season breaks in the Premiership program. I wouldn't like to see the World Cup go, but feel that it should be the only 'non club' international competition. Play it every four years, and give the top sixteen ranked international nations, from whom the winner is going to come, automatic entry into the competition. The rest of 'the field' can then be determined by sensibly scheduled out of season qualifiers in the proceeding years, whilst the automatic qualifiers can participate in again sensibly scheduled out of season friendlies in order to develop their squads.

Pretty much agree entirely Harry, certainly as regards the stuff that is going on at the moment. Fact is that certainly where a high percentage of football fans are concerned, international football has become an irritation. How many welcome these mid season breaks in the Premiership program. I wouldn't like to see the World Cup go, but feel that it should be the only 'non club' international competition. Play it every four years, and give the top sixteen ranked international nations, from whom the winner is going to come, automatic entry into the competition. The rest of 'the field' can then be determined by sensibly scheduled out of season qualifiers in the proceeding years, whilst the automatic qualifiers can participate in again sensibly scheduled out of season friendlies in order to develop their squads.

I tell you who wants international football (lol - apart from me). That is the players themselves. Go and ask Harry Kane what it would mean to hold up the World Cup at Wembley and we all know the answer. Go and ask Dele what it means to lose his status as an international footballer.

The players also love it because it gives them a break from the day to day treadmill of their clubs. It's a chance to get to know the rest of the elite players in their country. It refreshes them mentally.

This is yet another example of where money has ruined football. The England players gave up their right to a salary as it should be privilege to wear the shirt. 10-15 years later, we read "the clubs pay their salaries". Total nonsense. The fans always pay their salaries whether it is for club or country. Just trace it back to the origin of the money chain.

What I would genuinely like to see is a balance again between the two. That is why I would support reducing the Prem by 2 or 4 teams. Even if it means losing the League Cup, that gets the fans some mindshare for the International game again. I like nothing more than supporting my country along with all these fans from different clubs up and down the country. I've had some amazing away trips over the years.

I tell you who wants international football (lol - apart from me). That is the players themselves. Go and ask Harry Kane what it would mean to hold up the World Cup at Wembley and we all know the answer. Go and ask Dele what it means to lose his status as an international footballer.

The players also love it because it gives them a break from the day to day treadmill of their clubs. It's a chance to get to know the rest of the elite players in their country. It refreshes them mentally.

This is yet another example of where money has ruined football. The England players gave up their right to a salary as it should be privilege to wear the shirt. 10-15 years later, we read "the clubs pay their salaries". Total nonsense. The fans always pay their salaries whether it is for club or country. Just trace it back to the origin of the money chain.

What I would genuinely like to see is a balance again between the two. That is why I would support reducing the Prem by 2 or 4 teams. Even if it means losing the League Cup, that gets the fans some mindshare for the International game again. I like nothing more than supporting my country along with all these fans from different clubs up and down the country. I've had some amazing away trips over the years.
100% agree with you, if we'd won the last WC or if we were to win the next Euros I wonder how many would think it's a waste of time

Just watched the 3-3 draw Germany v Switzerland. Last minute Rudiger the animal deliberately assaulted a Swiss player with his elbow in the box when pretending to go for a german fee kick floated into the Swiss Box, Everyone saw it and the ref did not even book him, Outrageous. After the ref second yelllowed so redded a Swiss player for an innocuous free kick which led to the assault.

So the New Zealand FA are saying that the All Whites won't be turning up for the England friendly at Wembley due to COVID risks and quarantine restrictions.

So hopefully we'll just stick with the 2 competitive NL fixtures against Belgium (a) and Iceland (h) and not bother with a pointless friendly a few days prior.

Can anyone effin cross the ball in this England side? At least seven attempted crosses, no pressure, straight in to the oppo player. Like Spurs!

State of the art football from England...the art of passing backwards....only saw the second half thank goodness...Southgate is hopeless....Rice can’t play MF, and when we needed to create chances he leaves the one creative player he has in Grealish on the bench....just one of the reasons that I 5hink international football is a complete waste of time.