Our Internationals | Page 7 | Vital Football

Our Internationals

The ones that are suspect and often criticised on this forum continued their struggles on the int'l stage, namely, Sissoko, Dier, Sanchez, Bergwijn, Doc.

To most of us, the latter group does not surprise us, nonetheless, disappointing.

How Bergwijn finds himself on that list having been sent home by Holland without kicking a ball, I do not know. Meanwhile, not good enough to be picked for his country and heavily criticised by supporters & pundits Alli is exempt. Your latter group is missing its head and top of the list.

How Bergwijn finds himself on that list having been sent home by Holland without kicking a ball, I do not know. Meanwhile, not good enough to be picked for his country and heavily criticised by supporters & pundits Alli is exempt. Your latter group is missing its head and top of the list.
I think being sent home from international duties with the reason cited being lack of fitness would certainly count as being a struggle on the international stage. Pretty embarrassing thing to happen to a professional athlete.

So it seems 10 players/staff of South Korea have tested positive. Apparently Son is isolating in Austria at the moment as a precaution. Fingers crossed he doesn't test positive in the next few days....would be a huge blow to miss him against City.

So it seems 10 players/staff of South Korea have tested positive. Apparently Son is isolating in Austria at the moment as a precaution. Fingers crossed he doesn't test positive in the next few days....would be a huge blow to miss him against City.
I would have thought he would have to go into quarantine over here like anyone else exposed to the virus....

I would say that this round of internationals was mostly net positive for our internationals. More match fitness for Bale, Gio, Rodon whilst key players like Reggie and Davies played but still got a week off. Winks gave a good account of himself whilst Kane and Bale got subbed early enough on Weds to be fresh for Saturday. Sonny played Tuesday so should also be fresh.

Mild concerns for Toby and Hojberg recovering quick enough for the weekend whilst only slight downside was Doherty's performances and testing positive.

I don't want to hear any whinging from Jose, especially considering Liverpool's injury nightmare.

I would say that this round of internationals was mostly net positive for our internationals. More match fitness for Bale, Gio, Rodon whilst key players like Reggie and Davies played but still got a week off. Winks gave a good account of himself whilst Kane and Bale got subbed early enough on Weds to be fresh for Saturday. Sonny played Tuesday so should also be fresh.

Mild concerns for Toby and Hojberg recovering quick enough for the weekend whilst only slight downside was Doherty's performances and testing positive.

I don't want to hear any whinging from Jose, especially considering Liverpool's injury nightmare.
So Son isn’t affected by a COVID outbreak in the South Korean camp then?

I’m just picking up on something Meee posted on another thread...he said Son was self isolating in Austria but I haven’t seen any other reports anywhere.
The reports on it are pretty vague at the moment. There's been some suggestion he had to do that but is back in the UK now but as you say, very little reporting of it. The South Korean camp got hit pretty badly so wouldn't be surprised if he is out this weekend but fingers crossed I'm wrong.

There are so many infections going on in the football world, how can they justify carrying on playing ?
7 PL players tested positive, 1 further in isolation as a precaution. These as a result of international football no doubt. Now they will be back in the heavily tested PL bubble so it is more manageable. No more international breaks for a few months so it should be ok.
It's the international football that was the issue, as it breaks the bubbles that were created by clubs.

If international football was to happen (which is understandable) then all the games should have happened in 1 extended international break.

Great to see Tanganga, Sess and Skipp named in the U21 squad this morning. England's back four could be Aarons, Japhet, Godfrey, Sess with Skipp anchoring the midfield. That's like if Carlsberg managed Spurs transfer strategy.

Great to see Tanganga, Sess and Skipp named in the U21 squad this morning. England's back four could be Aarons, Japhet, Godfrey, Sess with Skipp anchoring the midfield. That's like if Carlsberg managed Spurs transfer strategy.

ha ah ha ha, first laugh I've had all day!

England squad:
Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Sam Johnstone (West Brom), Nick Pope (Burnley).

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jesse Lingard (West Ham, on loan from Manchester United), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Forwards: Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

I would say that Dier is a lucky boy to be in the squad.

Phillips ahead of Winks will also get Harry thinking about his future. Missing out on the squad altogether will hurt him.