Our Fishy Friends | Page 57 | Vital Football

Our Fishy Friends

It is an interesting question - how long will Lincoln's newer fans stay around for? Some will stay whatever happens, some will drift away when things get tougher, the majority will be somewhere in between.

Around two-thirds of the current fanbase have only been watching City regularly since 2017, and they have commenced their support during a period of unprecedented success. That creates a slightly different dynamic to those who have stayed despite almost chronic mediocrity.

Now I am not convinced that the increase in attendance is down to new fans. I think rather, that it is an increased level of attendance from existing fans. So lets play with some numbers. If pre-Cowley 2,000 of the crowd went nearly every week then between 1,000-1,500 of each gate was made up of existing supporters who went less regularly. If we go with 25 home games a season; if there are 25,000 dormant/occasional supporters and they averaged 1 game a season that would make up the 3-3,500 average attendance. If they got excited by the club and went to 2 games a season that would increase the average attendance to between 4-4,500 per season. 5 extra games would be 8,000 - 8,500 average attendances. Don't forget the spread here though, an average of one game per season will include those who go to 15 games or more down to those who go once every few seasons but an average increase of 5 games per season per person is all that is required to nearly treble the average attendance.

Now that clearly isn't everything that is happening. There was a massive spike in season ticket purchases, but again is this driven by 'newbies', or by 'regulars' thinking if I already go to 10-15 games per season it makes sense to get a season ticket if I find myself going to 15-20 games per season and anyway it is getting busier and I can't always sit where I want to. Then there are the regulars who add another seat for family and friends so that they can sit together.

I am not saying that there aren't converts or kids choosing to go local where their predecessors went Premier League, or students who get sucked along for the ride, but I just think we shouldn't underestimate the power and breadth of the base once it gets enthused. You only have to look into your own wardrobes to see if you have a shirt or two, or a scarf or two, or a programme that you have bought and tot up how many times you have done that over the years. I bet most Newbies haven't spent nearly as much.

There was an interesting article on how a relatively small number of super-fans attending games are worth massively more in income to Premier League teams than thousands of distant supporters in Asia.

* This is the point where Liam and/or Clive come on and shoot me down in flames because their fan survey suggests that all of the growth is from new support.

It is an interesting question - how long will Lincoln's newer fans stay around for? Some will stay whatever happens, some will drift away when things get tougher, the majority will be somewhere in between.

Around two-thirds of the current fanbase have only been watching City regularly since 2017, and they have commenced their support during a period of unprecedented success. That creates a slightly different dynamic to those who have stayed despite almost chronic mediocrity.
A lot of people returned during 16/17, I've seen a lot people reappear who left when we were terrible, but we've definitely picked up newbies, lots of families which helps with the long term support of the club.

A lot of people returned during 16/17, I've seen a lot people reappear who left when we were terrible, but we've definitely picked up newbies, lots of families which helps with the long term support of the club.
I think the families thing is where we’ve hit the jackpot. There are so many coming now and it’s great to see. Obviously the success we’ve had has helped enormously and this has lead to a pride in the our city, our club ethos. The way the club has embraced this with the fan zone, lady Imps, half term football, city centre club shop, tours of local schools etc has really got the club a real part of the community. The fact that season tickets have sold out again just shows this. As a youngster watching the Imps in the late 70s and early 80s its worlds apart and so much better for it.

As an exile since 1997 but attending since 1965, an old friend of mine is a "newbie". Sometimes when I find it difficult to get a ticket she can comes up with one quite easily. How times change, in many subtle and demographic ways! A fan is a fan, in my book.

As an exile since 1997 but attending since 1965, an old friend of mine is a "newbie". Sometimes when I find it difficult to get a ticket she can comes up with one quite easily. How times change, in many subtle and demographic ways! A fan is a fan, in my book.
Absolutely, my daughter started going to games with me in 2014 and was an occasional fan until the Cowleys arrived they hooked her and we'll be renewing our junior imps in the next few days now it's available.

Think of us as poppy seeds in the ground. The germination is there and it doesn't take much soil disturbance to have us popping up in blooms.

Poppy seeds may be dormant but they're still poppy seeds - occasionally hybrids like Norfolk, but the DNA is still there.

You can call it plastic if you like but there has to be a simmering tradition and foundations for it to take off. A community club doesn't spring up from nowhere. Take my Mum, she can't stand football, never been to a game in her life, never will. Doesn't watch it on telly.

She can tell me all about Andy Graver though, rang me up in tears when Graham Taylor died, listens to every game on the radio while she does the ironing, has always read everything LCFC in the Echo. Totally bizarre you would think. But it's not about the football, it's her city and community and LCFC are an extension of that.

Bollocks, did I get it wrong then?
I watched us throughout when we were shit, then moved away when we got good again? Now I can’t get a seat when before it was 209 seats to 1 person?
Same, I had a season ticket until 2013, when I lived away. Still went to quite a few games in the National League years, mainly southeast away matches and the occasional game when back home. Have hardly been to any games since the Cowleys joined :slap: