Our FA Cup Run 1987-88 | Vital Football

Our FA Cup Run 1987-88

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
In video.

Away victories at Bishop Auckland and Northwich Victoria followed by a draw at Scunny, which still to this day sees the biggest miss v us I have ever witnessed. Tony Daws literally pushing their other forward out of the way in front of an open goal and then hits the post!!
Home replay 3 days later and then the home game v City - a travesty of a last gasp equaliser and then the away game at Maine Rd.

Happy memories.

Bishop Auckland away 1-4

Northwich Vicotria away 0-2

Scunny away 0-0

Scunny Replay home 1-0

Man City home 1-1

Last edited:
Thanks for those Dave. We were living in Sale and Julie was pregnant with Eamonn at the time of the City matches.
I remember going to BR for the home tie and was amazed that there wasn't a couple of fouls in that melee for the last minute City equaliser. I can't see that happening now - either the ref would have stopped it or a striker would go down for a foul. The BR pitch was as nearly as bad as those served up by the Os.

I went to the replay at Maine Road with Julie's Dad who was up from Surrey visiting. He and Julie's Mum were brought up in Ashton Under Lyne and he hadn't been to Maine Rd since 1954.
It was never a City penalty and I always believed that Stewart thought the same and deliberately missed it!

Happy memories Pete.
The surge in the south as Ricgard Sendall scored our goal.
Amazing miss by Scunny. We got drenched that day. A ground no lomger with us - The Old Show Ground.

Used to go on the kop before they split it and took off the roof. After that went in the south for a while, but you could get crushed in there with those surges when it was full. Finally ended up in Scratching Sheds with a load of the ex Baines Boys

How on earth did that city goal stand? Was well before my time I didn't really get into football till Euro 96 when I was 14 but if anyone ever asked me I said I was a Blackpool fan, I went Stoke on a few occasions but never took to it like the pool the biggest love of my life after my children.

That city goal massive handball by them in the scandal.
Still remember besting them in the cup on the same day United lost to Bournemouth.
Got the oapers in my scrapbook. Will scan and post up soon.