Our defence next season | Vital Football

Our defence next season

FrancosLoveChild

Vital Football Hero
Assuming we sign Walton on loan again and replace Elder or use James.

Do you think it really is necessary to sign in these areas?

Our last season in the championship with Burn, we possessed a impressive defensive recording considering our league position.

I'm pretty confident this defence could make the jump next season, albiet won't be keeping as many clean sheets as this season.

For me we’ll need one new first choice LB and a new CB to push Burn and Dunkley. Need an option incase one of them can’t step up, Alex Bruce is over the hill and Craig Morgan isn’t good enough at that level. Both should go along with James.

I would love this defence (including Walton & Elder) to be given a real chance in the Championship.

The GK situation is an interesting one. He signed a new deal right before coming on loan here. I think it’s a good possibility that he comes back unless he wants to fight for the number 2 spot at Brighton. Obviously I would like to have our number 1 GK an actual player on our books and if there is an opportunity to get him or another proven GK I hope we splash the cash

I hope we spend some money on a LB or two as well as a cover for Byrne. Unless Daniels pens a new deal.

Bruce and Morgan are out of contract so another Championship proven defender is necessary. Dunkley will be just fine at the next level!

Craig Morgan is signed until June 30th 2019
Signed a 2 year deal last March (Unless his injury is similar to Gary Caldwell's and is forced to retire).

Can Luke Burke get back into the squad after spending a season out on loan at AFC Fylde ?
Terell Thomas signed a 1 year deal although the club website also notes the deal lasts until 2020.
Donveron Daniels must be peeved at being recalled from Rochdale and getting bugger all game time ..... hmmmm

The manager and his team have done well (or been very lucky) with the lack of injuries this season. The core group have played a lot of games.
I would assume the squad size and the squad depth will depend on whether the new owners have money or whether Mr Whelan has saved enough this year on toilet rolls and lighting.
I wonder whether an attempt at a 2013/2014 Burnley type squad will be the order of the day.

Last edited:
I read somewhere recently that Latics were trying to tie up a deal to keep Walton for another season and he was happy to stay.
I would think Byrne, Burn and Dunkley would cope with the step up. I'm not sure about Elder or James though.
If the takeover doesn't happen then i think we're looking at our younger lads stepping up as back up.

Apparently that Shrewsbury keeper on loan from Utd is out of contract in the summer? If that’s true then I’d try and get him in over another Walton loan. No disrespect to Walton, just that it would make far more sense from a financial perspective and he looked bloody good at the DW for a young kid. Although I suspect he’ll have interest from bigger fish than us if that is the case.